Tranny pan tapped for drain plug.

JeepFan

Hooked
JeepFan made a great DIY pump to extract as much fluid out of the pan as possible before you remove the pan. This helps big time to reduce the mess you'll have when you pull the pan. I would highly recommend pulling the pan to change your fluid as it will give you a chance to check/clean the debris magnet.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-and-GemHunter?p=908821&viewfull=1#post908821

attachment.php
Thanks! Like Eddie mentioned, pulling the pan and cleaning the debris from the pan and magnet is good practice. Adding a drain plug seems like a good idea but in my opinion, it's a huge point of failure. Just service your transmission as the manufacturer recommends and take the time to drop the pan, and change the filter. Thoroughly clean the gasket surfaces and use OEM RTV sealer to seal the pan. Chrysler sells RTV rated for trans fluid.

holliewood61

On my cj I'll just drill a hole in the pan and weld it back up before i put it back on. I wouldn't advise this method on a newer jeep. On my wj and wk found an oil drain plug and a nut to fit it. I drilled a hole in the pan, welded the nut to the pan, then installed the plug. It makes draining it as simple as draining your oil.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

enfielded0405

Older trans but on my 2010 a mechanic buddy let me borrow a pump and we shoved it down the trans dipstick tube. Sucked out all but a small amount of fluid. Definitely the way to go if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Older trans but on my 2010 a mechanic buddy let me borrow a pump and we shoved it down the trans dipstick tube. Sucked out all but a small amount of fluid. Definitely the way to go if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
That's definitely IMO the best way to do it. Harbor freight sells hand pumps for around 5 dollars and they have plenty of hose. They work pretty well too, I had to use it to change power steering fluid, tranny fluid, and even siphon out my gas tank when I was replacing my fuel pump.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Van

That's definitely IMO the best way to do it. Harbor freight sells hand pumps for around 5 dollars and they have plenty of hose. They work pretty well too, I had to use it to change power steering fluid, tranny fluid, and even siphon out my gas tank when I was replacing my fuel pump.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's what I did, also. Wwwaaayyy less mess.

Top Bottom