Transmission chatter

JKidd

But then again.. i did take off my shift knob and drovw it knob-less and it still rattled... so ill see if i can get another dealership to figure it out. It just keeps getting louder and louder for some reason

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKidd

Okay update! Its been raining here and i noticed that the rattling either stops or came softer. So im assuming that its something thats either gotta be lubed orrr the water is taking up space somehow... with the water its actually tolerable.... so thats new

tjr1973

Following this thread. I've been trying to figure this noise out as well on my jk. Mine only does it in four wheel drive under a load as well. Doesn't even always do it. I have a new front propeller shaft and RCV axles that are less than a year old so I'm good there. Hoping for a resolution....

JKidd

Alright... checked my trans over the weekend.. getting kinda cold here and i checked all the bolts under the sun.. check driveshaft bolts and my bellhousing because ive seen another thread saying that he had a couple loose bellhousing bolts from factory.. i did a transfer case, front and rear diffs, and a manual trans fluid swap.. i manage to get a tool in the shifter assembly area and bam there it was... one of four of my shifter assembly bolts got loose... i removed it and loctite it and tighted it down snug... took it out on the road an so far no noise.. idk if the loose bolt was my problem or the lack of fluids in manual trans(checked my manual trans fluid before i drained it.. i couldnt feel a damn thing.. didnt get my finger wet. Drained the used fluid into a contianer and to find out i was almost a qt. Low....)

ScoobyCarolanNC

Nice bud!! I'd call the FCA warranty department and lodge a complaint. Turning you away was BS & service departments get scored on that kind of stuff.

Sent from my duck blind.

JKidd

Its was the acutally shifter assembly bolts.. its a 6spd so its has the 4 bolts that bolt the shifter to the transmission.. u have to pull off the shifter boot and the work your way around the foam.. its there you just have feel for them and use a universal joint with a hex socket.. its a lil tricky without ripping the foam..

tjr1973

Its was the acutally shifter assembly bolts.. its a 6spd so its has the 4 bolts that bolt the shifter to the transmission.. u have to pull off the shifter boot and the work your way around the foam.. its there you just have feel for them and use a universal joint with a hex socket.. its a lil tricky without ripping the foam..

Thanks man....I'll check it tonight when I replace my transfer case 4x4 switch. Mine only makes a noise in 4x4. In second gear it sounds like an exhaust leak almost but if I push on my transfer case towards 2 Hi a little it all but goes away. In third gear it seems more like a rattle and I can push the transmission shifter to the right a bit and it quiets down. I know my front drive shaft is fine as it's been replaced and my front axles have both been replaced with RCV's. I have an 07 Rubicon with only 26,000 miles and I just want to make sure this isn't something I need to be worried about as I'm planning a trip to Moab this spring.

black pearl

Hooked
Thanks man....I'll check it tonight when I replace my transfer case 4x4 switch. Mine only makes a noise in 4x4. In second gear it sounds like an exhaust leak almost but if I push on my transfer case towards 2 Hi a little it all but goes away. In third gear it seems more like a rattle and I can push the transmission shifter to the right a bit and it quiets down. I know my front drive shaft is fine as it's been replaced and my front axles have both been replaced with RCV's. I have an 07 Rubicon with only 26,000 miles and I just want to make sure this isn't something I need to be worried about as I'm planning a trip to Moab this spring.

Although mine is a bit newer I just got this in the mail about my six speed its a customer satisfaction notification IMG_4387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tjr1973

I found the noise on my Jeep. I removed the console and inspected the transfer case shifter and how it goes through the floor board. Everything was golden. Put the jeep on a rack and lifted it up in the air. Where the transfer case shift cable is almost to the transfer case, it is held in place by a metal bracket. The cable is held to the metal bracket by a plastic retainer clip. A few inches past that is where it actually connects to the transfer case. That plastic retainer clip that holds the cable in the metal bracket allows some movement in my particular case even though nothing is broken. I carefully removed and inspected the clip and cable after feeling how much movement was there. When I reassembled it, everything was much more secure. No nose as of yet. I may buy a new retaining clip and see if that keeps things tight down there. Took me a while to find it but that is definitely it!

Top Bottom