TrekTop NX, Help! Extreme flapping in the rear portion.

Dopey84

Sorry didn't see you had already answered my question in previous post. However mine flapped until I tightened the center cross bar at the sound bar tight enough to keep it in the slots...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

Not sure this will work in your situation, when I had a nx on my two door it would flap and the rearmost support, that one you slid into the canvas. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a steel pipe and end caps then slid that in, the stronger material fully eliminated the flapping and stayed it place really well.

I've heard of people doing this, but I am a firm believer that if we spend almost $800 on a high quality soft top, it should work as advertised.

Mine does the same thing. Don't worry about it. It's not gonna rip off. It just makes a heck of a lot of noise, but it's a jeep, it's not gonna be comfortable. You'll get used to it, or at least I did.

Yeah, I understand that. But, I've had many TrekTops before and they've never done this.

There has to be a problem! This can't be the norm. Im curious, is this a problem with the cheaper nx. black diamond I think.

Yeah, I don't believe so, I've had several TrekTops and they've never done this like this.

I'll see if mine does it this weekend. I usually have the top back when the windows are off.

Thanks! Let us know your results.

I agree there has to be an issue somewhere, I have the black diamond and run it most of the time without the windows in and have no flapping.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Agreed.. just got to find it!

Mine does the same from time to time. I can vary the window position with no real help. Once and only once, was the back passenger zipper not fully closed which caused it.

I have tightened my springs, I've loosened my springs, zip tied tightly the support bows and it still just happens. And it can depend on which way the wind blows.

I have no real solution. Sometimes it doesn't happen for months. [emoji15]

Yeah, I'm frustrated that they advertise it as being able to run as a Bikini top but then this happens.

This might be a bit of a stretch but I wonder if those who are having the flapping have installed a lift that levels as apposed to myself who kept the factory rake, might be some funky stuff going on with aerodynamics. Just a thought to try and weed out all the possibilities to try and find a common denominator.

This is actually an interesting theory and might could be a cause!

Sorry didn't see you had already answered my question in previous post. However mine flapped until I tightened the center cross bar at the sound bar tight enough to keep it in the slots...

Yeah, I've cinched that sucker down as much as I could get it. I figured that had to be the culprit but unfortunately not.

Napalm

So, I've done what I didn't really wanna do and emailed Bestop Customer Service. I sent them the video and a detailed email, so hopefully I'll get a response.

Clark Griswold

Good Luck and if you think taking some pics of our installs would help I would be more than happy to do that just in case there are some bogus parts out there not allowing the top to be held down properly.

Flat Top

So, I've done what I didn't really wanna do and emailed Bestop Customer Service. I sent them the video and a detailed email, so hopefully I'll get a response.

I'll be interested to see what they say, my original top did this any time the back window was off. My trick was to roll the back edge under and use a couple binder clips to secure. It really did not look too bad and kept me from pulling my hair out. I did it by habit on my replacement top, I'll need to see it his is an issue.

1c521af7a87446f823534f412301f0ebd2.jpg

Napalm

I'll be interested to see what they say, my original top did this any time the back window was off. My trick was to roll the back edge under and use a couple binder clips to secure. It really did not look too bad and kept me from pulling my hair out. I did it by habit on my replacement top, I'll need to see it his is an issue.

View attachment 253880

What exactly did you roll the back edge under?

Flat Top

What exactly did you roll the back edge under?

I just rolled it back under itself. There is 5-6 inches of the "flap" that I fold under itself. If it's still a problem on the new top I was thinking about using some adhesive Velcro to keep in place without the binder clips. Yes, for $700 buck it should work without jerry-rigging... :rolleyes2:

moteaux

I've already told customer service at Bestop, that I am quite dissatisfied with the product. I have had to replace numerous parts on the top in the last three years.

Napalm

View attachment 253880

Flat top, is this what you did?
IMG_2139.jpg
IMG_2140.jpg

Surprisingly, I used this method. Three small binder clips for $.69 and folding the flap over and using three clips to clip itself, the flapping has stopped completely. I'm not sure if this has to do with air temp, wind, etc etc. But so far it looks like it is working!

Edit : took the clips off and still no flapping. So, either it fixed itself or it is affected by air temp/wind ETC.

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I wonder if the warm temperatures stretched the top out, and you were able to cinch down those straps pretty tight, then it cooled off making the top even tighter. Hoping you get it worked out.... or you'll have to buy another top :crazyeyes:

Flat Top

Flat top, is this what you did?
View attachment 254181
View attachment 254182

Surprisingly, I used this method. Three small binder clips for $.69 and folding the flap over and using three clips to clip itself, the flapping has stopped completely. I'm not sure if this has to do with air temp, wind, etc etc. But so far it looks like it is working!

Edit : took the clips off and still no flapping. So, either it fixed itself or it is affected by air temp/wind ETC.

.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That's exactly what I did. The fold acts as a spoiler of sorts I guess, glad you got some relief.

Napalm

.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That's exactly what I did. The fold acts as a spoiler of sorts I guess, glad you got some relief.

Yeah, once it warms up a little today I'm going to see if I can recreate the flapping and then put the clips on to see if it stops it. Worst case scenario, this'll just have to be the way I run in when in this configuration. Better than not being able to at all I suppose. Thanks for the tip!

Still looking forward to hearing what Bestop has to say.

Napalm

Shakedown run number 2 was a success. I was able to recreate the violent helicopter flap, apply the clips, and it stopped it completely!
IMG_2144.jpg
IMG_2143.jpg
Drove around with it like this for a little bit and no flapping anywhere. Not exactly the resolution I wanted, but just happy there is a simple and cheap fix. I'll still wait to see what Bestop says and in the meantime try and find a better fix.

enfielded0405

Glad the OP got some resolution as these things can drive you crazy. Just curious if this is also a big problem on 2 doors as I was planning to get one next year to retire my tired factory top.

tdougherty81

Shakedown run number 2 was a success. I was able to recreate the violent helicopter flap, apply the clips, and it stopped it completely!
View attachment 254190
View attachment 254191
Drove around with it like this for a little bit and no flapping anywhere. Not exactly the resolution I wanted, but just happy there is a simple and cheap fix. I'll still wait to see what Bestop says and in the meantime try and find a better fix.

Run a strip of Velcro down that bar?

Dopey84

Ok so just watched the video again do you have the bracket that the tail bar slides into going the right direction...? Mine is tight even with the sun rider flipped back curious if this may be your issue

Napalm

Update: Bestop emailed me back asking for my proof of purchase. After I provided this, they informed me they are shipping me a new header/fabric assembly. I guess that should fix the problem?

LoL, in all seriousness, I appreciate them doing this and trying to help. They are a good company and I'm glad they stand behind the product and are willing to help! Thanks Bestop!

Top Bottom