Tuffy vs BestTop - Underseat Security Drawer

james2003w

I'm working on picking up a conceal carry, and need a way of locking it in my vehicle while I'm in areas where I cannot carry. I know I shouldn't leave it in my vehicle, blah blah. I've gotten that degree many times before.

Have any of you used the Tuffy Security Underseat Concealed Drawer OR the BestTop? What are your thoughts on the product that you have used, would you buy it again?

Jkratt

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456946733.720074.jpg
I use the BestTop one. It has plenty of room for a pistol and was easy to install using the seat bolts. If I remember correctly the Tuffy one is longer and holds more. For me it was the price difference and BestTop works great.

I too have the Bestop one. It was an easy install* (off course one seat bolt was a PITA but it finally got loose)
It rolls really nicely and holds a lot of "stuff".

:beer:

DemCoconuts

I literally just came home with the Bestop one for under the drivers seat. Will open it shortly and make some initial impressions.

DemCoconuts

Just broke open mine. The unit feels solid, and is simple to install (couple of bolts). This could be a plus or minus - easy install, easy removal (but if they really want it, they'll get it anyways).

I will be using mine for simple paperwork/etc, but it fits a larger pistol with lots of room to spare. Long term opinion to be seen!

Attachments

• 1456957472536.jpg
    1456957472536.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 1456957522820.jpg
    1456957522820.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 380

projectMMTB

Love the bestop. Very easy installation for me and serves its purpose and has enough space for plenty of things.
I use it for various stuff but it does hold my agency arms glock 19 on occasion ( it's a mid size not a long or super small conceal carry. if you aren't familiar with it)
Good price also[emoji106]🏽

Bunz-o-fun

Here is the Tuffy with the driver seat all the way back. That's the view someone would have if they saw you with the doors off from the side. I usually scoot the seat up when I park the jeep with the doors off.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456960171.045472.jpg

Here is the view with the drawer open all the way. Just in front of the brake pedal. Tons of room. Two med-full size guns easily fit in the "69" position. :)
curious how wider revolvers would fit.
What are you guys using for the padding? My cabinet non-slip padding with double side tape sucks.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456960267.467562.jpg

Here is a view from the back.
Did not bolt the rear to the tub, just the two front bolts. So, had to put some cardboard in to stop the rattle.
Overall, been pleased with the security. Just not pleased with the accessibility due to the key lock. Would be nice to have a secret button that activates a spring release on the drawer.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456960723.947132.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I have the Best Tops and would buy again. The price is good at about $50 from Amazon. The install was easy: remove a harness support bracket from under the seat, re-route the wire harness under the seat slider and zip tie while making sure the seat moves fore and aft without straining the harness, and two seat bolts as mentioned by others. I up graded the supplied zip ties and the felt liner will need double side tape to secure. Mine rattled so I added additional felt pads to the back face of the drawer the eliminate the noise. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456966684.669692.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456966704.706834.jpg

speed3d

I have the tuffy & would buy it again- been using it since last summer, and has been on vacation; so I have used it quite a bit. I did bolt it down in the back, which is a lot easier w/two people- I just wanted the extra security & it doesn't rattle at all. The drawer fits nice & tight, but still rolls easily- I agree it would be a lot more convenient to have a fingerprint lock or something besides a key, but i have a concealed carry, so just keep it on me if I want easy access. I lined it with 1/4" foam that I got in packing w/other jeep parts- could have gone thinner, but my full size 1911 fits fine.

james2003w

Here is the Tuffy with the driver seat all the way back.

I have the tuffy & would buy it again- been using it since last summer, and has been on vacation; so I have used it quite a bit.

I had to retighten slider bolts with lock tight after about a year on the tuffy.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sounds like I would be happy with either product. Those of you who have the Tuffy.... Why did you go with the Tuffy over the BestTop?
Looking at Amazon, I can get both Driver and Passenger Drawers for the price of one Tuffy.

Bunz-o-fun

I had a gift card to 4WP, is the main reason I bought the Tuffy. I think the Tuffy has a little more space, but not enough to make me pay $50 more. I think both are made of 16 gauge. Very happy with the Tuffy. I would be comfortable buying either.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I planned to get a tuffy one, and probably will after getting the rear security deck, but the box was stolen off my porch lol. After seeing this I will still get a tuffy for the extra room just incase.

whispike

The Tuffy is bigger and built a little more secure.

What he said^^^ I bought the Tuffy because it is a little bigger and a hand gun fits in it better. If you google the two of them someone had a side by side comparison of the two then you can see what I'm talking about.

james2003w

What he said^^^ I bought the Tuffy because it is a little bigger and a hand gun fits in it better. If you google the two of them someone had a side by side comparison of the two then you can see what I'm talking about.

Found the article on another form... (not going to link, saw what happens when that happens... Just going to eat my Chocolate Chip Biscuit...). The Tuffy is yes in fact bigger, better tumbler lock is better... the BesTop supposedly can be opened with a screw driver and cannot fit a Sig, which is one of the guns I was looking into getting.

Looks like a Tuffy is the way to go!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My Sig P229 .40 fits just fine in my Tuffy. I can snap a pic later today if you want to get a feel for the size of the drawer with the pistol in it.

Top Bottom