Turbo 3.6 is coming!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Before I bought my 2012 JKUR I looked at the Ford F-150 EcoBoost. It's loaded with twin turbos to boost the entire RPM range and the option cost $750. There have been a few problems with the electronics, but the engine and turbos have been relatively trouble free. That little 3.5L engine puts out 75HP and 155LbsFt of torque more than the Pentastar. It is strong as hell right off idle. I think the same and more can be had with the Pentastar, but I'd be skeptical of the claims made by the first systems to reach the market. I'm excited but I will wait for awhile and see. Done right I'm betting the Pentstar can be made into a real Hemi killer. Patience Grasshopper.:yup:

ltdanlj

I've only got one thing to say. I hope you like the smell of burning plastic. Horrible turbo placement.

Agreed. Even if you don't melt the TIPM or related items, I can only imagine what the Power steering system is going to think of that...

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
But a 10k dollar turbo isn't a huge expense?

Technically it's less than paying for an LS swap (around 10K) and discarding the engine you paid for. Im not arguing against an LS, Im just saying that if that was my plan, I'd probably save a boatload of money and buy a 3.8 jk (with a blown motor if possible) so that I don't have to pay twice and save a bundle. I also don't think the LS is comparable to a turbo'ed V6, but that's a personal opinion.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Any possibility for the 3.8?
I've actually considered the RIPP because they're the only ones with at least something for the 3.8

They already have a turbo kit for the 3.8L.

They used a turbo blanket on that setup, me thinks they will use it on the 3.6L as well.

IMG_8271.jpg

Again, I don't know much about this kit, Im just excited that someone is doing it. Their 3.8 kit was 6K so maybe this one will be around that mark as well, but with turbos, there are lots of miscellaneous costs that need to included.

If memory serves, the 3.8 is an iron block (like the Supra) so it would be a great motor to turbocharge, and it can probably withstand greater pressure. The pentastar will probably run 8-10lbs safetly...I wouldn't want to run anymore.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Before I bought my 2012 JKUR I looked at the Ford F-150 EcoBoost. It's loaded with twin turbos to boost the entire RPM range and the option cost $750. There have been a few problems with the electronics, but the engine and turbos have been relatively trouble free. That little 3.5L engine puts out 75HP and 155LbsFt of torque more than the Pentastar. It is strong as hell right off idle. I think the same and more can be had with the Pentastar, but I'd be skeptical of the claims made by the first systems to reach the market. I'm excited but I will wait for awhile and see. Done right I'm betting the Pentstar can be made into a real Hemi killer. Patience Grasshopper.:yup:

No doubt about it. The first run of turbo systems are rarely trouble free. Just comes with the territory, which is why I mentioned above that turbos and cheap can't be used in the same sentence. However, get them running just right, and not much can match the performance. My concern is tuning on the 2012+ JKs...there are no tuners that allow completely custom tunes for tuners to use, since even RIPP is having issues dealing with Diablo. Unlike blowers, turbos can cause FAR more damage to the motor if they are running out of whack.

kimer82

who cares about what other people say.
its your money and your ride. have fun and enjoy the new turbo! and would love to see how she will perform!

post some vids in the future plz!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
who cares about what other people say.
its your money and your ride. have fun and enjoy the new turbo! and would love to see how she will perform!

post some vids in the future plz!

The pic isn't mine unfortunately. :D I just figured I would post up some news as far as a kit being released. I have turbocharged almost every vehicle I have owned (if possible) and the results have always been spectacular, so Im excited to see what the pentastar is capable of. I also don't see the reliability is an issue, provided someone figures out how to fully tune the 2012+.

RamP

^^^ I agree. I'd love to learn that this turns out to be a reliable kit. I owned a Subaru STI for years. Turbos are great.

Zstairlessone

They already have a turbo kit for the 3.8L.

They used a turbo blanket on that setup, me thinks they will use it on the 3.6L as well.

Again, I don't know much about this kit, Im just excited that someone is doing it. Their 3.8 kit was 6K so maybe this one will be around that mark as well, but with turbos, there are lots of miscellaneous costs that need to included.

If memory serves, the 3.8 is an iron block (like the Supra) so it would be a great motor to turbocharge, and it can probably withstand greater pressure. The pentastar will probably run 8-10lbs safetly...I wouldn't want to run anymore.

I think (just my thoughts) the issue with the 3.8 isn't the block, but the rods, bearings, pistons and possibly the crankshaft. So boosting power reliably may be a bigger expense than just the Turbo kit or the Blower kit. Anyone out there know?

Also, just because it is an iron block doesn't mean it can stand up to higher combustion pressures and the extra heat generated when producing a lot more power

joshjuniorr

Correct me if I'm wrong.. But superchargers make more power instantly from an idle. Granted a smaller turbo will spool faster etc etc.

I agree for the money I'd just go ls swap

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

HILLZ

Correct me if I'm wrong.. But superchargers make more power instantly from an idle. Granted a smaller turbo will spool faster etc etc.

I agree for the money I'd just go ls swap

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Turbo's are nice but i'd rather be Blown! I like having the instant power available, will always be superchargers for me. now i just need someone to give me enough money to put one on my JKU! :rock:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If the turbo is properly sized a blower is never more efficient at any rpm. If you stick a monster turbo like the supra guys do for peak numbers then yes. A blower makes negligible power down low (can actually lose power since it's parasitic) which is why they are useless for crawling. A well done turbo setup will act more like a diesel except it will make power all the way to redline, especially at the 10:1 compression of the pentastar.

2k13jk

I spoke with the ripp guys for a little bit granted theyre located 45 minutes away form me in staten island he told me there procharger kit runs 6-8 lbs safely. Thats under spooling the blower and they said there personal jeep is procharged with like 15000 miles on the 3.6 and it hasnt had any problems and hasnt had more then 4 failures form the hundreds of kits sold for the 3.6 so i think its safe to boost the 3.6 but it is your opinion on what you want to do with your jeep

Top Bottom