Turbo and Supercharged TJs

Jranso04

I think some of you guys are missing the point of the question. Obviously at normal trail speeds boost of any kind is not needed. I really don't think anyone who is thinking about a turbo upgrade is considering it for trail benefit. We all know with any stock power plant Jeep weather you have done a great changes or not, they are not highway power houses. The benefits are all highway and daily drivability. Improved fuel economy and at speed power are where this upgrade make your Jeep feel like you have a small block under the hood. I agree the aftermarket kits out there are way over priced. With the amount of tuner shops out there today it is easier to get that part accomplished. I have been researching this for my xj and will be pulling the trigger in the next year. Anyway, not sure that my opinion matters but thought I'd chip in.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is the exact reason I started this thread. I'm looking to add more power on the highway rather than on the trails. Another reason is the possible improvements it could make to the engine with the fuel economy. I'd almost feel like a little 2.3 liter diesel with a turbo might work best even though it's gunna increase weight pretty significantly. I'm not sure if I'm right just kind of thinking outside the box a little I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

holliewood61

You would be surprised. A 4.0 weighs around 550-600 lbs compared to a 4bt at around 750 or a mercedes om617 which would be my choice at around 700 lbs. So a decent diesel swap could be accomplished with only the added weight of a small to average size human.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

98XJ06LJ

I would love too swap in the new Cummins Repower 2.8 but with limited release numbers right now and still no confirmation on the cost of said dream power plant I don't think it's in the cards. At least not in the near future. Not all of us are as lucky as Fred (DED) and get a prototype to play with.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

offroadjeep

I would be interested to see if someone did a comparison between re-geared TJ, turboed TJ, and supercharged TJ. It'd be super cool to see that with offroad capability and city/highway driving.

BobNH

I would be interested to see if someone did a comparison between re-geared TJ, turboed TJ, and supercharged TJ. It'd be super cool to see that with offroad capability and city/highway driving.
Wayalife

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My buddies setup, didn't use a heat resistant paint on the intake pipe otherwise great. Diamond plate is a custom heat shield. My favorite jeep to drive by far.
If you're not comfortable with engine work and tuning with standalone management I wouldn't suggest it. The "kits" that you can buy are way overpriced but normally have that part figured out for you.

IMG_0409.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

andre6015

I have a 4.0 bored to 4.6 Ripp Modd Supercharged. The difference is awesome. I recommend it however the Dynotuning is hard to find. I’m stuck now with my Jeep not running because my Diablo Trinity Tuner just lost (erased) my custom tune. $500 wasted. Well at least it wasn’t $800 like the first shop that tuned it. Ugh! Long story but I hope you live in a big enough city that has a knowledgeable speed shop that knows what they’re doing for a custom tune. IMG_2367.JPG

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 4.0 bored to 4.6 Ripp Modd Supercharged. The difference is awesome. I recommend it however the Dynotuning is hard to find. I’m stuck now with my Jeep not running because my Diablo Trinity Tuner just lost (erased) my custom tune. $500 wasted. Well at least it wasn’t $800 like the first shop that tuned it. Ugh! Long story but I hope you live in a big enough city that has a knowledgeable speed shop that knows what they’re doing for a custom tune. View attachment 300163

Welcome to Wayalife. Your statements about finding a competent and knowledgeable tuner is exactly right. You can do some serious damage with FAI if it's not tuned properly.

Top Bottom