Unlimited Sport or Rubicon for new build?

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
2014 rubi, auto 4.10s and 35s. Haven't done a lot offroad but love it on road. For my driving and terrain it performs perfect on road, can't complain one bit. It cruises at 70 or 75 and gets the same mpg as it was getting when it was stock. The 35s dropped the RPMs down compared to stock tires.

If you will stay with 35s or smaller or will be on 35s for a while (like until it's paid off like me most likely) than get the rubi if you can afford it. You will just need bumpers, winch, and skid plates (at least oil pan and the tranny skid if it's auto) and then go play!

Edit to add: recovery gear also!

^^^^ The way to go out of the box. A 3" Enforcer will probably give you the best bang for the buck. While you're doing the lift I'd recommend EVO c-gussets.:twocents: The auto in the Rubi is reliable like an anvil and will handle almost everything you throw at it. Having owned both manual and auto trannys the current auto is almost like cheating on serious terrain. Good luck!:twocents:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
It's pretty simple on these kind of threads. If you ever think you are going to get into 37's+ I would always buy a sport with a few upgrades to interior.

The axles will be gone. The TC will be gone. Almost everything will be gone.

If you are going to never go over 35's, the stock Rubi stuff can handle plenty.

I am curious about this statement myself. Please share your knowledge.

Welcome to Wayalife! Why do you say almost everything from a stock rubi is replaced to run 37s?

I sure would like your ideas thardy. My limited understanding is that with the Rubicon you get an upgraded transfer case, electronic front sway bar disconnected and electronic lockers front and rear.

My question is very similar, since I plan to take a 2016 JKUR and replace the axles (Dynatrac), suspension (EVO everything) and drive shafts (JE Reel). Any thoughts you have here would be appreciated. My build will end with 37 inch tires with 44 Unlimited front and Dana 60 rear.

thardy

Banned
I am curious about this statement myself. Please share your knowledge.

I sure would like your ideas thardy. My limited understanding is that with the Rubicon you get an upgraded transfer case, electronic front sway bar disconnected and electronic lockers front and rear.

My question is very similar, since I plan to take a 2016 JKUR and replace the axles (Dynatrac), suspension (EVO everything) and drive shafts (JE Reel). Any thoughts you have here would be appreciated. My build will end with 37 inch tires with 44 Unlimited front and Dana 60 rear.

You can run 37s on stock Rubi axles and definitely the transfer case. If you really plan on beating on it, or adding power, then yes, axles are needed. But look at what Mel has done with EVOlander.

If you plan on upgrading to PR44 and PR60 fairly quickly out of the gate, then save your money, buy a sport and get an aftermarket tcase. :yup:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
You can run 37s on stock Rubi axles and definitely the transfer case. If you really plan on beating on it, or adding power, then yes, axles are needed. But look at what Mel has done with EVOlander.

If you plan on upgrading to PR44 and PR60 fairly quickly out of the gate, then save your money, buy a sport and get an aftermarket tcase. :yup:

Edited: I saw this transfer case on Extreme Off Road:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/atlas-jk--atlas-2-speed-tc-for-jeep-jks/

It looks really nice, but wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with these? $2,845 seems a bit steep.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

The axles on evolander are far from straight.

thardy

Banned
The axles on evolander are far from straight.

Oh I'm sure. As much as that rig gets beat on, I'm not surprised at all. For me personally, seeing what it has been through and is still going through, the rubi axles would be sufficient for long enough for me to save for PRs. Especially with most of the wheeling it would see out East.

YellowJK

Welcome to Wayalife! Why do you say almost everything from a stock rubi is replaced to run 37s?

Thanks!

37+. I don't know many people that go to 37's and then don't go up to 39-40's next. Eddie ran the stock 44 on 37's/40's or whatever? Not sure if that's right but I think it was so it can be done.

I know a few people that keep the 4-1 and get 60's or f9 with hi9 but that lasts until the next upgrade to rubicrawler (07-11) or Atlas.

I was just saying, I've done it. Had 37's with stock everything and just beefed them up to max you can do. Wheeled fine until you get into the harder stuff and little breaks would always seem to happen.

If I were to do it over, I would just do the sport, buy the new axles and TC and still not be too far over the cost of a Rubi.

Top Bottom