Upgrading axle and suspension

RockingK

Great information, thank you. Only time will tell on my decision to replace all bushings and flex joints. It had 3.5” springs with 2.5 inch rubber spacers in front and 4” springs w/ 2” spacers. It worked but had issues with worn parts. I also replaced springs with factory isolator’s to keep the lift prior. The new taller all spring lift turned out an 1.5 inches higher in back so I tried a small spacer to take the rake out but think I’ll drop it back down. It ultimately was a quick cheap way to better what I had.

I hope I don’t break a control arm , but will post what happens if I do before tackling a new EVO system with coil overs.
Great build. I too have the same wheels and love them. I just when I purchased mine the aluminum ring was available. Did you purchase used or new? $200 a wheel is a steal.

As for suspension kits go. I'm currently running Full Traction's 3" Long arm. It's bee a solid lift and I have 0 complaints. It's very similar to EVO's Double D long arm lift the big difference are the Joints. Mine has Heims at the Axle end and clevites at the frame side whereas EVO's uses Johnny Joints. Both are bolt on but can be welded on if you prefer and made in the USA. The advantage of both are they use a true 4 link (2 upper and 2 lower control arms) just like the factory. If you suffer a control arm break you can still limp off the trail using the 3 remaining links. The arms you currently have are referred to as radius arms. The upper link attaches to the lower link. If you break the lower link, which may be possible considering your nice new heavy axles and V8 it may be very difficult to get off the trail. You mentioned the possibility of going to coilovers. This being said EVO's use of Johnny Joints are better suited to the flex allowed by them. I was told the clevites on my lift can and will fail fairly often if I go to to coilovers due to the flex. If I ever have a chance to go to them I'll let you know though..haha. Hopefully piginajeep will chime in as he has better knowledge of all this than I do. Hopefully this helps a bit.

Edit: I did the install myself which is pretty labor intensive as a lot of cutting has to be done. I worked on mine in my standard 2 car garage with it lifted as high as I could on jack stands. From start to finish it took me 3.5 weeks (weekends mostly) which included waiting on new part shipments as I was originally shipped some incorrect ones, new front a real driveshafts, draglink flip. It can be done this way but if you have a lift use it as laying on your back under the jeep on moving blankets gets old..haha.

RockingK

First flex and first snow with working lockers

Not great wheeling pics but at least it is to a point where I can start testing. Went out with a couple of friends and Did 40 miles of paved open road. Did well at 70mph. I am thinking about adding some limit straps as my right front spring was loose at full flex and the only thing holding it was the shock. Great first run and it was a really nice day with friends who bring beer and a nice single malt and a cigar :beer:

21AFEEE3-4441-42CD-B81C-57E684C1A055.jpg B4AB18C7-6B84-44A8-88E6-E5399FC54048.jpg 4A2810E1-8D35-40CE-81CB-D87D6CB7F1BE.jpg B036D0F0-B2B9-41DC-92D5-073D0500FFAA.jpg 4A96C2CE-18AE-4369-A681-92620AE3E597.jpg
Thank you and will do on some wheeling pics👍

Top Bottom