Upgrading my 2012 JKUR Audio System (Pics of progress)

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Duh? That's why I've not bothered doing anything to my system.

The bottom line is the new tweeter position and sound is fine. No stock system is good. Can you stop derailing the thread now with your leet sound system internet knowledge now? Kthxbye!

n3tfury

The bottom line is the new tweeter position and sound is fine. No stock system is good. Can you stop derailing the thread now with your leet sound system internet knowledge now? Kthxbye!

It wasn't meant as a derail, dickface. I was just surprised at the mounting option they decided to go with. kthxfucku

tonytony9

Hello everybody.

Just wanting to share some info and pics as I go.
I started photographing a bit late but better late than never. I'll post more pics as I go.

I had a blown speaker in my dash and I decided to take my tax refund and upgrade the sound system.

I didn't want anything that'd make me cry if it got stolen, so I tried to keep it relatively simple and affordable.

Parts ordered:

Alpine CDE-HD149BT CD Receiver (Single DIN)
This is a simple looking head unit but its packed with good features.
Didn't want a big NAV unit.

Kicker 40CSS654 6-1/2" Component Speakers
To replace the dash woofers and tweeters

Kicker 40CS654 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers
To replace the soundbar speakers in the rear

Alpine PDX-V9 Amp
4 x 100w rms + 500w rms x 1 for sub channel.

1st thing I'd like to mention is that these components come with tweeters that fit in the factory pods without modification whatsover.
See pics below.

Also the 6.5 woofers for the dash seem to be much beefier. (photo attached)

I purchased an underseat JK seat mount for my amp and mounted the alpine amplifier there. (photo attached)

Pics of progress will be added as I get more done.

I strongly suggest moving that amp from unde the seat to somewhere else. Forget the roof is down one time and it is toast!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I strongly suggest moving that amp from unde the seat to somewhere else. Forget the roof is down one time and it is toast!

Agreed. I was looking at the bracket earlier and any decent water crossing could easily make it go boom down there.

tonytony9

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431043236.706836.jpg

Both my amps (only one currently installed) are/will be mounted directly on my subwoofer. Doesn't look the "cleanest" I guess, but makes for easy adjustments and good protection. I am making a little tarp/box thing to throw around the entire unit for when I have the roof down in the summer. So when I park I don't have to throw the roof up every time.

noroad

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
View attachment 141763

Both my amps (only one currently installed) are/will be mounted directly on my subwoofer. Doesn't look the "cleanest" I guess, but makes for easy adjustments and good protection. I am making a little tarp/box thing to throw around the entire unit for when I have the roof down in the summer. So when I park I don't have to throw the roof up every time.

I was planning on building a box with a recessed area in the back to cover/mount the amp so that it isn't exposed like that. Could also build it with a lip of sorts that extends off the back of the box to cover it when up against the seats if that makes any sense.

noroad

If you just buy these do you need an amp? this replaces all the speakers in my 2dr, how hard is it to wire them in?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6NWjSJ...8874198243&awdv=m&awkw=40css654&awmt=p&awnw=g

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS654/Kicker-40CS654.html?showAll=N&search=Kicker_40CS654&skipvs=T

Well i just picked these up for $200! I hope it fits ok!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
If you just buy these do you need an amp? this replaces all the speakers in my 2dr, how hard is it to wire them in?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6NWjSJ...8874198243&awdv=m&awkw=40css654&awmt=p&awnw=g

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS654/Kicker-40CS654.html?showAll=N&search=Kicker_40CS654&skipvs=T

You will need an amp unless you buy some speaker harness adapters and reuse the stock wiring.

noroad

Keep in mind you'll need to run new speaker wires with a new amp. You probably already knew this, but I thought I'd mention in case you didn't.

ya im not a sound guy, i have one friend saying they are just drop in, and another saying i need a converter and 4 channel amp its getting confusing lol I trust one friend more lol

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
ya im not a sound guy, i have one friend saying they are just drop in, and another saying i need a converter and 4 channel amp its getting confusing lol I trust one friend more lol

I've done it many times - feel free to ping me directly with any questions.

UpsideUp

I just did my stereo as well. I went with the Alpine R series and did all speakers, tweets, sub in OEM enclosure with a MDF ring for some more depth, and the same amp as you have. I have to say that this was a fantastic upgrade and the sound is night and day! I also packed all enclosures with polyfil and have bass that was never there with the Infinity upgrade. The volume stays clean above listening enjoyment level as well with my system. It ran about $1300 for the lot but I would imagine you get a ton more usable bass out of the Stealth Box. I'm not a bass fiend but my 8" brings out a great thump during double bass runs that is super impressive.
One of my favorite "everyday use" upgrades that I have done.

Top Bottom