Upgrading to larger tires

tonytony9

May I suggest looking at some Rubi take off's. You can get a set of 5 for around $1100 when you can find them. The Rubi take off is a little bigger than your current tire and they come with some kick ass rims as well. Also if you go with a different tread pattern and size look at getting all 5 and doing a 5 tire rotation.

R/
Will

For right now I want to keep my current rims. When i can afford really nice ones I will drop the $$ on them. Really just looking to upgrade tires rn.

tonytony9

Oh and as jeeeep said, buy 5 tires and do a 5 tire rotation. Not only does the same size matching spare look better hanging off the back of the jeep, it will also help you out better if you have a flat on the trail compared to the stock tires.

That's a dumb pet peeve of mine. People spend money on a lift and rims and tires and only buy 4 and then leave the stock spare hanging on the back. Then other times when they do spend the money on the tires, which aren't cheap anyways, but they buy 5 and they don't rotate the 5th one in and wind up with four worn out tires and one brand new tread wise but dry rotted tire cause its been baking in the sun on the back of the jeep it's whole life. Smh.

Ya thats a good idea. Doesn't waste a tire. I agree with the look aspect, however, can I use my current spare incase I ever got a flat just to get me home? I understand having the same size tire all around is of course important for trail riding

bkac

Caught the Bug
$675 for the 5 tires, to bad your so far away!

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
not sure, I'm site more then you will want to pay.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Discount tire is amazing and a sponser of WAL.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So if I run 33s I would not have to do any mods? Maybe the most trimming those factory flares or whatever it was?

I am the second owner of the car. But considering the condition of the vechile when I purchased it and the very stock setup I am very confident that this was just an everyday driver. In my own usage of the car all I do is drive it on streets/highways everyday. Of course I have done very limited off roading. By off roading I mean going down some dirt roads, dirt fields, bumper high mud puddles (one time), some dirt trails, ect... - Nothing like what Wayalife does in their videos.

How is highway driving with 33s?

When I originally swapped the 33s over on my JKU all I did was correct the speedo and shift points with an AEV Procal. I got it for around 100-120 bucks. This is what it looked like with 33s (285s) and bone stock suspension. No rubbing whatsoever on the road, however if you plan to hit the trails I would do a leveling kit at least. Then, if you ever wanted to go with a 35 all you would need to do is trim the factory flares and your good to go.
I have 3.73 gears and noticed very little difference from stock once I corrected shift points with the Procal. 33s are not a very big tire at all and I think you will be perfectly fine with 33s and the advice everyone has given you. Good luck with your mods!

For reference, this is how it looked with 33s and no lift/ bone stock suspension.
SAM_0915.jpg
SAM_0492.jpg

tonytony9

When I originally swapped the 33s over on my JKU all I did was correct the speedo and shift points with an AEV Procal. I got it for around 100-120 bucks. This is what it looked like with 33s (285s) and bone stock suspension. No rubbing whatsoever on the road, however if you plan to hit the trails I would do a leveling kit at least. Then, if you ever wanted to go with a 35 all you would need to do is trim the factory flares and your good to go.
I have 3.73 gears and noticed very little difference from stock once I corrected shift points with the Procal. 33s are not a very big tire at all and I think you will be perfectly fine with 33s and the advice everyone has given you. Good luck with your mods!

For reference, this is how it looked with 33s and no lift/ bone stock suspension.
View attachment 105846
View attachment 105847

Thank you that was very helpful.

Anyone else had some more good brands site ect???

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Duratracs are a good recommendation for jersey as a DD. Aggressive, practical and great tread life.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK LYF

It looks like I am going to be needing new tires (maybe all four) by the end of the this fall/very early winter (the drive tire is especially worn). I have always wanted bigger tired than my current (265's I believe).

Is it a bad idea to go bigger if my 2008 wrangler unlimited has 112k miles? What is the biggest size you guys recommend (not looking to lift it yet as I can't afford that just yet)?

Can I also get some pictures of your jeeps without a lift but larger tire sizes?

This is what my jeep currently looks like
View attachment 105704
I have 1.5 inch spacers on it as well as.

First off, I like the black rims. They look really sharp against the black rig! 112000 miles isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have friends pushing 200k on their rigs. Obviously you would stay on top of oil changes, plugs, etc. but I don't see it as a reason not to do what you want to do with your rig.

As far as tires without a lift; on your rig, with a few adjustments, you should be able to fit 35s relatively easy. You can trim the flares and if it's done correctly it looks really good. You mentioned 1.5 inch spacers. Are they coil spacers or wheel spacers? If they are coils spacers then you should be fine. If you go 35s, you may need some wheel spacers to help with rubbing at full turn (unless that's what you were referring to). If you have those, then some 1 inch coil spacers, adjust the bump stops and trim the rear pinch seams. Should be fine with 35s and they will change the whole look!

I have a two door with no lift. I have 37s with 1.5 inch wheel spacers and trimmed pinch seams (I will raise it about 1.5 inches but right now it's okay).

There are other things that I would suggest if you are going to take it out on the trails hard, but I'm not sure what your plans are. Right now, I won't wheel mine hard until I beef things up underneath.

Here is how it sits now. Hope this helps!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414286615.019727.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414286653.165372.jpg

tonytony9

First off, I like the black rims. They look really sharp against the black rig! 112000 miles isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have friends pushing 200k on their rigs. Obviously you would stay on top of oil changes, plugs, etc. but I don't see it as a reason not to do what you want to do with your rig.

As far as tires without a lift; on your rig, with a few adjustments, you should be able to fit 35s relatively easy. You can trim the flares and if it's done correctly it looks really good. You mentioned 1.5 inch spacers. Are they coil spacers or wheel spacers? If they are coils spacers then you should be fine. If you go 35s, you may need some wheel spacers to help with rubbing at full turn (unless that's what you were referring to). If you have those, then some 1 inch coil spacers, adjust the bump stops and trim the rear pinch seams. Should be fine with 35s and they will change the whole look!

I have a two door with no lift. I have 37s with 1.5 inch wheel spacers and trimmed pinch seams (I will raise it about 1.5 inches but right now it's okay).

There are other things that I would suggest if you are going to take it out on the trails hard, but I'm not sure what your plans are. Right now, I won't wheel mine hard until I beef things up underneath.

Here is how it sits now. Hope this helps!

View attachment 106776 View attachment 106777

Thank you appreciate the feedback. I was referring to wheel spacers. I think max I am looking at right now is 33s, maybe I'll look at some 35s. I really want to improve the look but would rather wait till I get a lift to get really big tires. Would rather improve suspension with a really nice lift then go coil spacers I think.

Ya I stay on top of oil changes, get them done every 3k miles. I drive about 1k miles a month so around every three months or even less. I bought this rig to last to 200k miles for sure 👍.

Top Bottom