Vacation destination recommendations

Yeah sounds a bit above their level. Kids range in age from 2 to 13.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If your kids are into the whole dinosaur thing. Dinosaur National Monument was a huge hit with my kid. One of the most enjoyable parks I have been to being it was basically empty. Great hiking and the fossil quarry was fascinating.

Man I’m jonesing for a Utah trip now.

black pearl

Hooked
If your kids are into the whole dinosaur thing. Dinosaur National Monument was a huge hit with my kid. One of the most enjoyable parks I have been to being it was basically empty. Great hiking and the fossil quarry was fascinating.

Man I’m jonesing for a Utah trip now.

I have to look into that as we are doing a few week trip through Utah in October!

JAGS

Hooked
“Fairly private” in or around Zion NP is going to be tough goal. Loved the park. I wish I had a week or two to really explore it. But the crowds were intense. Think Disneyland type crowds.

Well that is probably a deal breaker then. I can't stand crowds.

We went about 5 years ago. It was probably may/June. Can't recall. But I don't recall the crowds being too bad as we did the parks mid week and did other exploring over the weekend. But the economy was a little shittier then too.

Any national tourist spot is going to be busy during breaks of holidays. If you can swing mid-week and not only over a weekend, it be better. And avoid July/August for the worst crowds and also the heat.

I can't recall the name, but we stayed in a cabin resort that also had ton of kid and fam activities. Want to say it was ponderosa or something like that. It may be a dive now, who knows. There were actually a couple fire road type trails right in that area. I still remember the smell of the mountains, fresh air, and pine.

ENVY was bone stock so it was perfect.

Yea it was a major turn off. Kinda normal time for it to get real busy. Beginning of summer with cool/coldish perfect hiking temps. It was May of 2016.

Had an all around bad experience in Zion. Icing on the cake. It has been the only National Park where the rangers wouldn’t give my kid a junior ranger badge. A maintenance worker heard my conversation with the two rangers and some how found me later in the day and handed my kid a badge so it all worked out. Now years later I still get fired up over that stupid badge and those rangers. Haha
View attachment 293464 .

That blows! What a douche that they would sour a families trip over something like that.

upnover

Do Zion in the morning right when they open. Take bus up to the narrows and work your way down. It gets crowded but early bird gets the worm. if you do angels landing plan for just that hike.

This is what we did:

Stay in Kanab Ut as a base. You can hit most of these in day trips.

Day 1 Zions
Day 2 Escalante/ Bryce. We chose to do a slot canyon hike in escalante vice hike bryce. My kids were younger. You can take the dirt roads from grand stair case and such to Bryce. The slot canyon had ancient drawings you could find.
Day 3 North Rim Grand Canyon. There are some trails you can take along the rim too and hike. Sublime Point and others
Day 4 Toroweep mt. Trumbull school house. Have lunch right on the edge of the grand canyon. listen to the rafters scream as they go through the rapids
Day 5 Knab to Monument valley to Moab. Tour the dam at paige.
Moved camp: Day 6-8 Moab, Arches...

We may have done something in Canyonlands but i cant remember.

This was one of the best trips but tiring. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Top Bottom