Viper throttle body

Draconianwinter

Lol okay okay. I'm not looking for power gains just better response. If these aren't recommended then I'll just scratch them and work on something else on my huge wish list. Thanks for all the input and please don't hold back this is how I'm learning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app
Edited because I saw you have done a regear.
Basically aside from an engine swap our getting a new jeep with a 3.6 your not going to get much better performance to the point that it will outweigh the cost. With the engine tuned and the regear done that's about as good as it is gong to get. Also looked at your profile saw you changed out to a cold air intake set yup. Those are a joke. The only thing those will do is make the engine louder and allow dirt to get into the engine. Also I have yet to see, outside of a high performance engine where those things do anything for the actual horse power.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Basically aside from an engine swap our getting a new jeep with a 3.6 your not going to get much better performance to the point that it will outweigh the cost. With the engine tuned and the regear done that's about as good as it is gong to get. Also looked at your profile saw you changed out to a cold air intake set yup. Those are a joke. The only thing those will do is make the engine louder and allow dirt to get into the engine. Also I have yet to see, outside of a high performance engine where those things do anything for the actual horse power.

I almost regret buying it now and luckily I kept my original box and may just put it back on. I would have made much different choices had I joined this forum sooner. Maybe it's just in my mind but it did feel like it has better pedal response after installing it. As far as dust goes, is there no better filter for it that will prevent this?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You probably won't want to hear this since you already spent money on gears once, but 4.56 was probably not the right path for 35's, an auto, and the 3.8.

IMHO 4.88 or possibly even 5.13 (if you are at altitude or in the mountains a lot) would have been the better way to go.

I've driven a 3.8, manual, with 35's and 4.88 and it was a perfect match. With an auto and the mountains out here, I'd probably bump up to 5.13's.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Okay. Thanks for the input. Luckily the gears were already installed prior to me buying the jeep so no money spent yet. I wasnt sure if it was worth regearing to 4.88 since it didn't seem like such an increase and it doesn't feel sluggish right now. Although my tired aren't true 35s, measured around 33.5

jeeeep

Hooked

:thinking: allow more dirt into the engine? not sure what kind of filter you run but at about 150k miles the engine still running well. like anything else, you need to keep the air filter maintained and clean, personally I wouldn't run a stock paper filter for trail use and don't care for the oiled filters because in dusty conditions they plug up too fast. Any filter will eventually cause the engine to suck in the dirt if they are not kept clean.

I carry a dust boot for my filter, if I find myself in dusty trail conditions I can easily slip it on - does it work? not sure but when I take it off and see how much dust it has blocked I'm thinking it's helped.

for myself, the mods I did engine wise weren't for magical HP - it was all about the response and I can say they've given me what I was looking for - let the engine breath and get the most bang out of the spark.

to the OP - I'm sure you'll be told to install headers... stay away from headers, shorty headers create too much heat, not worth the cost and having to thermal shield everything to keep stuff from melting (ask me how I know)

I've talked to guys that run long tube headers successfully but not enough bang for the buck to make the extra heat and other mods needed worthwhile.

TB spacers do nothing, I've tried lol

having both a 3.8 and a 3.6 I definitely prefer the 3.6 ..but....I'm thinking it's the transmission that makes it so much better.. the 3.6 transmission gearing fits to the power band much better than what the 3.8 does. if there was a way to fit the 3.6 transmission to the 3.8 I'd try it.

As of now, I'm still saving up for an LS swap unless I break and buy a 2017 Rubi.

jeeeep

Hooked
Okay. Thanks for the input. Luckily the gears were already installed prior to me buying the jeep so no money spent yet. I wasnt sure if it was worth regearing to 4.88 since it didn't seem like such an increase and it doesn't feel sluggish right now. Although my tired aren't true 35s, measured around 33.5

4.88 is a good match and still allows you to lock out OD without bumping the RPM's too high. 5.13's are good but IMO with OD locked out the rpm's jump too much when driving mountain pass climbs not to mention the R&P gets smaller.

jeeeep

Hooked
They do have a stroker kit for the 3.8 think the complete engine with tuning and your core is about $5000

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't think that stroker kit has proven reliable.
I remember a two-part article that was supposed to be written on it ....didn't get past part one

rather go LS for any mods that start getting that expensive.

Draconianwinter

I almost regret buying it now and luckily I kept my original box and may just put it back on. I would have made much different choices had I joined this forum sooner. Maybe it's just in my mind but it did feel like it has better pedal response after installing it. As far as dust goes, is there no better filter for it that will prevent this?

You can get a prefilter to go over it but personally I think it's a waist of money. If you have to start running filters to stop dirt before the filter, then I don't see the point. Ass far as throttle response goes, I have run these cold air intakes before on other vehicles and have not seen any difference in them on the throttle response at all. Keep in mind these newer engines are run completely by computer. It's not like the old engines where you ran ram air intakes a and blowers. The computers allow a certain set fuel air mixture and nothing you do will change that, unless you add a turbo, or supercharger and reprogram the ecm to allow for this setup. From experience the better throttle response always seemed to me to be a myth, but market it right and people will believe it is so, and if people believe enough it will will seem like it is true. Like it or not small engines are just that. Simple fact of the matter is that while you can allow more air by getting a bigger air filter the computer will just adjust to restrict the amount of air going in to keep the system running in its set parameters.

Top Bottom