Warn Winch

whytiptoe

So it seems like you want a 12,000 pound winch. Is the wireless remote THAT important? If not, save SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars, get the 12 S then you have that extra money for straps, shackles, tire repair kit, OBA (whatever air system you have in mind), etc if not all of that depending on the vendor/store.

If I truly do not need the 12,000 lbs winch the I will for sure go with the 10,000. I just don't want to be without something I should have gotten if I have the chance to get it now.

WJCO

Meme King
This is great comment, with true and informative information. Just not sure once my jeep is done how much my jeep will weigh. I hear people say they are over 5K and I thought you were to have 3 times your weight on a winch, or something close to that.

My WJ is very similar in weight to a JK. I also have a ton of tools, sliders, v8, etc. I have an 8s and it has pulled fine.

GraniteCrystal

This is great comment, with true and informative information. Just not sure once my jeep is done how much my jeep will weigh. I hear people say they are over 5K and I thought you were to have 3 times your weight on a winch, or something close to that.

See this

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=17423

10S will be just fine for anyone on here.

Additionally, get a good snatch block and tree saver and using the magic of pulleys you can get more than 10,000lbs of force on your Jeep from a 10,000lb winch.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So it seems like you want a 12,000 pound winch. Is the wireless remote THAT important? If not, save SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars, get the 12 S then you have that extra money for straps, shackles, tire repair kit, OBA (whatever air system you have in mind), etc if not all of that depending on the vendor/store.

If I truly do not need the 12,000 lbs winch the I will for sure go with the 10,000. I just don't want to be without something I should have gotten if I have the chance to get it now.

I have the 12k Powerplant, But I also am running 100 ft line with it. Its rated on an 80ft, so if I only pull 20ft of line, I'm sure its somewhere around 9-10k with a "full spool". I have also wheeled with full size guys a few times, Which was the driving factor for going with the 12k. 90's suburbans are NOT light... Even with the 12k and a snatch block, Ive seen 2 jeeps needed to get a suburban out

The wireless remote actually deterred me away from the platinum series. I just don't trust wireless technology in general, especially to save my ass on the trail.

Agreed, I would NOT be able to run a wireless system and expect to rely on it. Just me, maybe I'm old school...

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
See this

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=17423

10S will be just fine for anyone on here.

Additionally, get a good snatch block and tree saver and using the magic of pulleys you can get more than 10,000lbs of force on your Jeep from a 10,000lb winch.

Roger that...besides, getting more winch line out increases the pulling capacity closer to the rating...getting your line out to a snatch block and back to the rig via d-ring doubles your mechanical advantage

whytiptoe

Ok so I went and pulled the trigger, now I need suggestions for a good gear bag for the tree strap d-rings snatch strap and everything.

Jackal01

I am not questioning the 12k rating...just the fact of the wireless remote and if you thought it was needed.

Did you go platinum when you ordered?

whytiptoe

I am not questioning the 12k rating...just the fact of the wireless remote and if you thought it was needed.

Did you go platinum when you ordered?

I did go with the platinum, the wireless I did not think I needed it just came with it, but I do like the fact about the clutch and only I can engage or disengage it. Someone needs to test the wireless system and wireless is quite good now a days.

Jackal01

I did go with the platinum, the wireless I did not think I needed it just came with it, but I do like the fact about the clutch and only I can engage or disengage it. Someone needs to test the wireless system and wireless is quite good now a days.

Let us know how it works out. I can't recall seeing one on here! I'll be getting the 10S later this year....I have thought about platinum.

mrfacundo01

The wireless remote actually deterred me away from the platinum series. I just don't trust wireless technology in general, especially to save my ass on the trail.

I have never needed to use mine, but it I did not have one......I would need one for sure. Just spend the money on a quality one that will last you a lifetime. You can always move it to your next ride......

Evil

Wait til you mess with it and actually use it, you will turn into a spoiled brat and wonder why you didn't go wireless sooner. I don't care for the accessory controls on the remote but the line in/out and unlocking the clutch kicks ass. When I swapped to the EVO bumper I was standing a good 100ft away and no issues, had my wife hitting the button from up stairs in my house while I was out in the street and it worked. I wanted to run it in a controlled environment before I got out and needed it and found out it wouldn't connect because of the foliage or a tree. I was hesitant on the wireless at first but it turned out to be well worth it, the damn thing just flat out works.

What I have not tried is to have mine on and see if someone else can connect to my winch too.

Evil

I thought I had some pics of the set up but I don't. If you get stuck on anything just post back, once you get use to it you'll be winching the trash can lid up, just because you can. :D

IMG_3118.jpg
IMG_3112.jpg

Top Bottom