Was hit at 150 mph on the Autobahn

SilverBack

The weather isn't as much of a factor as one would think for European drivers on an autobahn. The picture below is me traveling at 130kph and the dot you see was a Mercedes that passed my at what I can only estimate at well over 200kph. The jeep rocked! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422822807.848355.jpg

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Another example of the added benefits on road for steel bumpers and a lift.

Glad you're alright! Let us know what the alignment shop says.

xkid

There must be a minimum speed you should do.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
There is no minimum speeds. The autobahns are nothing but highways and are the only way to get to different cities. Heck most of the autobahns do have a speed limit, which is 120 kph. Some areas are 130 kph, there aren't many areas where the autobahn has no speed limit. Most of the autobahns are always under construction, so you have to slow down a lot to 80 or 60 kph.

I have lived in Germany for over 8 years and have traveled on the autobahns with my Jeeps all the time. That is how I get from my house to the base everyday. This guy was not paying attention. The police found him at fault.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
On another note, I am trying to buying new wheels. Should I go with 3.75, 4.5 or 5 backspacing. I am running a 3.5 inch lift with flat fenders and 35 x 12.5 x 17 inch tires

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Wow, glad you are ok.

Make sure your axle is straight. Might be a way to upgrade axles, or at least the shafts.

JLearie

My jeep was hit in a similar spot, the rear side/wheel. My control arms were bent and the side axle was bent. Get that checked out for sure. Glad you are ok.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
So I was told he was doing 218 kph roughly 135 mph, I was doing 110 kph or 70 mph when he hit me. The police put him at fault. As far as why there was minimal damage is because when he realized he could not stop he tried passing me on the right his driver side of the car clipped the corner of my bumper and took out my tire.

Me vehicle started to turn side ways and could feel it start to roll but was able to turn the wheel and keep it from flipping. After he hit me he trailed about another 150 meters down the autobahn before going off the shoulder and into the grass where he traveled another 300 meters the mud and grass slowed him down before he took out several highway signs. One pole wrapped around his vehicle and shattered hi rear window.

I was told it was a Volkswagen company car, 2015 and the driver was for Volkswagen and he was testing the car out. Luckily no one else was on the autobahn.

Mike_D

There is no minimum speeds. The autobahns are nothing but highways and are the only way to get to different cities. Heck most of the autobahns do have a speed limit, which is 120 kph. Some areas are 130 kph, there aren't many areas where the autobahn has no speed limit. Most of the autobahns are always under construction, so you have to slow down a lot to 80 or 60 kph.

I have lived in Germany for over 8 years and have traveled on the autobahns with my Jeeps all the time. That is how I get from my house to the base everyday. This guy was not paying attention. The police found him at fault.

Spot on. I had an opportunity to visit my employer's headquarters just outside Munich (fantastic trip!) and one of our guys came to dinner late in a company owned car. He was still pretty jet lagged so he tossed me the keys. 5 adult men crammed into a diesel Gulf wagon while driving at the construction speed limit was rather disappointing. I can drive faster back home in Michigan. haha

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Replacing the Axle

So, I just got back from the shop and dealing with the USAA Insurance adjuster. They decided to replace the whole rear axle, the mechanics put it on the alignment machine a felt the rear right of the axle was bent in a fe centimeters. They also were concerns about damage to the axle shaft or the mounts for the control arms and track bar mount.

I do have to say USAA Insurane company is a class act, A+++. They have been outstanding.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Try to get them to give you the cost of a factory replacement axle to pay for a prorock rear axle. I had USAA do that on a bumper. Worth asking about and the factory axle is probably pretty pricey. My upgraded bumper was cheaper and stronger than the factory flimsy one (on a Toyota 4x4 pickup, not a JK, but still flimsy).

Top Bottom