Was Trying To Do A Little Night Wheeling, NO GO

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Here's the bushing and part number. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469075577.486100.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469075611.001415.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469075637.531633.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469075594.176694.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469075594.176694.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 147

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If you're stationary and it doesn't want to go into 4L just take your foot off the brake or roll forward slightly and it will go straight in. As long as you don't force it you'll be fine

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Is the black piece on the shifter cable (inside cab end of cable) metal or is it plastic too. The AA upgrade looks awesome, but I was wondering about upgrading the ends of the stock cable for less money.

You could Change out the white plastic part and original shaft for a bolt/brass bushing arangement if the cable end is solid. Another idea is replace the black part with a heim by cutting threads on the end of the cable if the end is not so solid.

Edit: looks like the metal pin is in a plastic block on the shifter - so that is a potential weak link. I think it is possible to use my idea on the transfer case end of the cable as well (which is at least metal).

If I ever break mine, I will potentially look at this upgrade and failing that go the AA route. I think the best route is to not force the shifter and therefore not place undue stress on the cheap plastic parts.

Last edited:

Tree Frog

Thank you Baboozle for the part #s and the photos.
Looked it up and can get it for like 2.99 and up. Guess I will grab a pair and put them in the rig just in case.

If there is a way to mess something up I will figure it out soon enough. :doh:

I second the "Dont force it" philosophy.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Thank you Baboozle for the part #s and the photos.
Looked it up and can get it for like 2.99 and up. Guess I will grab a pair and put them in the rig just in case.

If there is a way to mess something up I will figure it out soon enough. :doh:

I second the "Dont force it" philosophy.

No problem. I went to the dealership to get them and they couldn't find them. Had to do a google search and return with the part number. They had no problem finding it then.

Josh27

One thing I haven't quite mastered is how to do that when I'm stopped, facing uphill, and want to shift into 4L. Give it a little gas to go forward and then pop it in?

I usually give it some gas to move forward a bit then throw the trans in neutral then shift into 4lo when facing up hill. Gotta do it fairly quick before you stop moving. Ive been in a couple spots where it was tricky to get it in 4lo and I just learned it works the best with a little forward movement and shifting it in gentle but quick. Also noticed mine goes right in with the engine off and the key turned to the on position while in park. But to get it out of 4lo I have to be moving forward with the engine on.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Hmm. Not sure how to fix that except a new cable. Maybe time for the AA upgrade as I doubt that is cheap for a stock one.

Curious if you ever had trouble shifting or was forcing it when it let go.

I lost my whole transfer case and definately did not abuse it. Input shaft sheered the splines off and wasted the transfer case. I'm sure it was rebuildable, but they replaced the whole thing under warranty.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Is the black piece that broke free just a sleeve for the silver shaft to slide through? Either way, a weak spot.

whytiptoe

So it was fixed under warranty as my jeep only has 10K on it. That sleeve is the guid to endure the cable goes down the shaft and actually allows the transfer case to shift. If this breaks again I will be getting with the stealership to replace it with an AA. Also it has always seamed a little stiff to shift, so I'm hoping that it was misaligned from the factory and now I won't have to deal with it with the new one.

Top Bottom