Weird noise and diagnosis.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well, went this morning to pick the rig up. Shiny new axle installed. Drove it out, noise is still there lol. Spent two hours with the techs and couldn't find the problem. After an hour, I finally convinced them it was coming from the front. Poked around couldn't find anything loose or damaged. Will just go to moab and hopefully it will get worse and be easier to find. I have documentation so they can't deny anything if it breaks. I guess I got a free new D44 out of it lol.

rtguy1

Well, went this morning to pick the rig up. Shiny new axle installed. Drove it out, noise is still there lol. Spent two hours with the techs and couldn't find the problem. After an hour, I finally convinced them it was coming from the front. Poked around couldn't find anything loose or damaged. Will just go to moab and hopefully it will get worse and be easier to find. I have documentation so they can't deny anything if it breaks. I guess I got a free new D44 out of it lol.

:doh: I hope u get it figured out and don't have any issues on your trip. Good luck:thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
:doh: I hope u get it figured out and don't have any issues on your trip. Good luck:thumb:

Thanks. I hope it lasts at least until my moab time is done. If it happens on the trip home I don't care. Hell i'd rather it get worse so I can figure out wtf it is. I can't believe the tech made a $3000 mistake. I knew it wasn't the diff. Oh well. Maybe ill bring it Moab4x4outpost and have them take a look lol.

Is there anything on the front driveshaft that can rattle with a higher pitch sound? The boots look a-ok.

rtguy1

If you can capture the sound on video you have a better chance of getting help. Unless its a known issue describing it doesn't really help. It could be anything:idontknow: lots of guys with jeep knowledge that have had all kinds of different experiences. There's a chance that someone out there recognizes the sound and thinks, oh shit I know what that is....lol

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you can capture the sound on video you have a better chance of getting help. Unless its a known issue describing it doesn't really help. It could be anything:idontknow: lots of guys with jeep knowledge that have had all kinds of different experiences. There's a chance that someone out there recognizes the sound and thinks, oh shit I know what that is....lol

I'm gonna try to do that. I'm gonna ziptie a go pro under there and see if I can capture it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, Im still working on getting some audio of the problem, but noticed something interesting today. All those days I told you about the noise it was nice and dry. Today, I drove my daughter to daycare, and it was raining. Low and behold, the noise was not there. This is telling me that the water is "lubing" something. Just so I can try and pinpoint the problem, what needs to be greased under the jeep? Maybe after driving for almost 2 years some through serious Canadian salt, something dried up down there.

Top Bottom