What’s all needed for the 60 swap

Primo82

Caught the Bug
It's not completely necessary...but if you can spare the coin...and it's not about going fast...it's about torque; adding 60's, rolling 40" tires, ram assist...you're adding quite a bit more weight and more inertia to overcome.

Brute covered it. It’s not necessary but man it’s nice. Sometimes the V8 can be a hinderance as well. I noticed on the JKX that the other V8’s (5 total) we’re having heating issues. I wasn’t, but that’s because I have spent some time making sure the fan is programmed correctly as well as a few other changes. I’m not sure how Moby did with the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you for the input gentlemen. My plan is to be on D60's rolling 37" tires in ~4 years. Big bore steering assist (probably no ram at this point). EVO PRO LCG coil over lift. I don't want to piss my warranties away, not that Chrysler is willingly going to warranty anything without mods. It'll just be easier to win that argument. Also need to finish paying her off.

Maybe I'll shoot for a V8 upgrade, 40's, ram assist, and a long arm kit by around the 10 year mark,

Adjustable control arms/adjustable track bars/brake booster/master cylinder/wheels and tires. Possibly brake lines depending on what you currently have and maybe parking brake cables.

FWIW I just did the Fusion 60/60’s so if you end up going that route I can help you out with control arm lengths and such.

How do you like them so far? My current set up is a 3.5 rock krawler max travel with all adjust arms and I upgraded my brake booster a while back when I did my progrip brake upgrade. Eventually I’ll be moving to an LS motor but axles obviously needed upgrading before that could be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

It's not completely necessary...but if you can spare the coin...and it's not about going fast...it's about torque; adding 60's, rolling 40" tires, ram assist...you're adding quite a bit more weight and more inertia to overcome.

Currently I have the red neck ram system but I’m thinking I will upgrade to a full PSC system

A.J.

How do you like them so far? My current set up is a 3.5 rock krawler max travel with all adjust arms and I upgraded my brake booster a while back when I did my progrip brake upgrade. Eventually I’ll be moving to an LS motor but axles obviously needed upgrading before that could be possible.

Love them. V8 swap is my next big item so I should be all set axle wise whenever I have enough $$. Axles were first priority. Only little complaint so far is the paint but that’s a pretty easy fix. If you wheel it your going to have to touch it up anyway. They have definitely increased my confidence on the trail. I used to cringe every time I turned on the front locker on the D30 lol! All good now. Point and shoot!

Basscat

I've seen you brought up enough to know you know your shit. Is an engine upgrade necessary to roll D60's or more of a quality of life thing for a DD/weekend warrior rig? I don't need to get anywhere fast, I have other toys for that.

I'm also trying to figure out which way I take my rig. I was initially thinking D44 upgrade in front to roll 37s, but looking at the price difference and the capability gains I'm REALLY leaning towards going D60 front and rear.

Finishing a garage addition right now, then will redirect funds to the jeep upgrade hopefully starting in Dec. And I don't think I'll make any major component upgrades physically to the Jeep until I have a few 10's of thousands of miles on the odometer and burn through a little more of the warranty period. I hate to void ALL of the Chrysler warranties in case there is an issue. But I plan to start buying the upgrades and parking them in the garage.

Anyways, just stating what my plan is. Would love your feedback, cheers.

What’s wrong with the PR44 front and D60 rear? The rear takes so much more abuse than a front especially with stock drivetrain.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

What’s wrong with the PR44 front and D60 rear? The rear takes so much more abuse than a front especially with stock drivetrain.

Nothing at all really. The potential problem is that it will be semi float if you want to keep 5lug wheels. For that matter the factory rear d44 is damn good and matches up with the pr44 up front nicely. Basically the "Trail leader package" or some versions of it has been proven to be plenty strong for 37's.

aboudreau

I have been looking to upgrade my axles as well and have been looking at the Currie Extreme 60's, going 60/60 and probably going to upgrade to an LS as well. Anyone with Currie experience?

Brute

Hooked
I have been looking to upgrade my axles as well and have been looking at the Currie Extreme 60's, going 60/60 and probably going to upgrade to an LS as well. Anyone with Currie experience?

I like Mahi Mahi Currie with basmati rice...

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Nothing at all really. The potential problem is that it will be semi float if you want to keep 5lug wheels. For that matter the factory rear d44 is damn good and matches up with the pr44 up front nicely. Basically the "Trail leader package" or some versions of it has been proven to be plenty strong for 37's.

I've read the PR44 is adequate to roll 37s. But if I'm making an investment in new axles, I'd rather not have any regrets later in life. I plan on hitting every trail I can when she's built up. If I just go with a 44 up front (I have a 44 factory in rear now) I'm limited to 37 max from what I've read. 60's will also give me headroom if I decide 37's are too small later in life. Granted, I know there is a LOT more I'll have to upgrade to roll 40s... The 60's should offer me this flexibility and should be pretty much bullet proof for what I'd likely hit on a trail.

After this thread I'm actually keeping an eye out for a lightly used LS engine and transmission. That's something I would enjoy rebuilding.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I've read the PR44 is adequate to roll 37s. But if I'm making an investment in new axles, I'd rather not have any regrets later in life. I plan on hitting every trail I can when she's built up. If I just go with a 44 up front (I have a 44 factory in rear now) I'm limited to 37 max from what I've read. 60's will also give me headroom if I decide 37's are too small later in life. Granted, I know there is a LOT more I'll have to upgrade to roll 40s... The 60's should offer me this flexibility and should be pretty much bullet proof for what I'd likely hit on a trail.

After this thread I'm actually keeping an eye out for a lightly used LS engine and transmission. That's something I would enjoy rebuilding.

All this stuff is cool, but don’t miss out on all the fun to be had now (even if you are stock).

Primo82

Caught the Bug
All this stuff is cool, but don’t miss out on all the fun to be had now (even if you are stock).

I'm on a 5 year plan for my major upgrades (well closer to 4 years now). A number of reasons for that number, but mainly don't want to void all my warranties just in case and I'll have her paid off by then. But I will have everything in the garage to sit comfortably on 37's and ready for install when that last payment is made. Just the cycle of save and spend.

I went to Redbird SRA (offroad park) here in Indiana their reopening weekend and had a blast. I'll be back one or two more times this fall, the Redbird badges weren't available that first weekend. I want to make it down to Interlakes this fall also but it's not a day drive (far southern indiana). Or maybe the badlands in attica. The Misses and I plan to go get the Dickey Bell trail badge for our delayed honeymoon next spring (my last name is Dickey so I thought it was fitting). Anyways, I have every intention of offroading my jeep stock for the interim 4 years. Just got to be careful that I don't get into anything to extreme.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'm on a 5 year plan for my major upgrades (well closer to 4 years now). A number of reasons for that number, but mainly don't want to void all my warranties just in case and I'll have her paid off by then. But I will have everything in the garage to sit comfortably on 37's and ready for install when that last payment is made. Just the cycle of save and spend.

I went to Redbird SRA (offroad park) here in Indiana their reopening weekend and had a blast. I'll be back one or two more times this fall, the Redbird badges weren't available that first weekend. I want to make it down to Interlakes this fall also but it's not a day drive (far southern indiana). Or maybe the badlands in attica. The Misses and I plan to go get the Dickey Bell trail badge for our delayed honeymoon next spring (my last name is Dickey so I thought it was fitting). Anyways, I have every intention of offroading my jeep stock for the interim 4 years. Just got to be careful that I don't get into anything to extreme.

Nice! They do well stock. So you should be able to have fun til your hearts content. I see you have a winch already. It maybe consider some skids, air compressor, and a CB or Radio if you want to spend money.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Nice! They do well stock. So you should be able to have fun til your hearts content. I see you have a winch already. It maybe consider some skids, air compressor, and a CB or Radio if you want to spend money.

Thanks for the input! The winter edition is actually really well equipped stock. Stock KO2's. It has a front skid plate and a little bit of under armor. There are a few pieces I'd like to get covered (oil pan, gas tank), but not sure if under-armor is reusable once lifted. It came stock with AEV bumpers and rock rails. I've heard the rock rails will not hold up to the test of time but we will see.

Alpine x209 wra or is on my list - having an offroad HUD and being able to control electronic components is a big sell for me. Almost justifies the price. I think I'll by axles before I buy this though.

As far as air compressors, I plan on going e-lockers (not air lockers). Would the ARB high output be adequate for my needs or is it still worth upgrading to the twin onboard compressor? That was one of my bigger questions before I pull the trigger on this upgrade.

I'll look at CBs as well, I don't imagine I'll be in any big groups for the first year or two. But I know that's a nice to have for that.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the input! The winter edition is actually really well equipped stock. Stock KO2's. It has a front skid plate and a little bit of under armor. There are a few pieces I'd like to get covered (oil pan, gas tank), but not sure if under-armor is reusable once lifted. It came stock with AEV bumpers and rock rails. I've heard the rock rails will not hold up to the test of time but we will see.

Alpine x209 wra or is on my list - having an offroad HUD and being able to control electronic components is a big sell for me. Almost justifies the price. I think I'll by axles before I buy this though.

As far as air compressors, I plan on going e-lockers (not air lockers). Would the ARB high output be adequate for my needs or is it still worth upgrading to the twin onboard compressor? That was one of my bigger questions before I pull the trigger on this upgrade.

I'll look at CBs as well, I don't imagine I'll be in any big groups for the first year or two. But I know that's a nice to have for that.

Evo and Rockhard 4x4 make solid skids I have Evo’s skid plate set. One of them isn’t compatible with long arm lifts but the other 2 are fine stock or lifted.

I’d recommend an air compressor, not so much for lockers, but to air up your tires after wheeling. Assuming you air down, which I also recommend when you hit the trails. ARB compressors are good and what I’d get if I intended to get ARB lockers one day. I have a cheapy Smitty for the time being. Some off-road parks have air that you can use for free to air back up, but some don’t.

CB or Rugged Radios are great. It’s hard to build camaraderie when it’s difficult to communicate with the guys you’re wheeling with.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Evo and Rockhard 4x4 make solid skids I have Evo’s skid plate set. One of them isn’t compatible with long arm lifts but the other 2 are fine stock or lifted.

I’d recommend an air compressor, not so much for lockers, but to air up your tires after wheeling. Assuming you air down, which I also recommend when you hit the trails. ARB compressors are good and what I’d get if I intended to get ARB lockers one day. I have a cheapy Smitty for the time being. Some off-road parks have air that you can use for free to air back up, but some don’t.

CB or Rugged Radios are great. It’s hard to build camaraderie when it’s difficult to communicate with the guys you’re wheeling with.

I'll try to squeeze under the jeep tonight and see what plates came stock and what critical items still need protection. I will probably prioritize that sooner rather than later.

I didn't air down at redbird, but didn't think it was necessary for what I wanted to explore. They did have air there if I had needed it. I'll probably go ahead and prioritize the high output pump and install as well. I'm pretty sure that will work for my future setup. And it's good security (and may make someone else's day with a flat as well).

And I think you've convinced me to reprioritize the CB. I was going to do it much later. But that's a great point. Cheers, thanks for your input sir!

Top Bottom