What caused this?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
No, silicone would create fisheyes. It was poor prep due to not sanding the surface. You should use wax and grease before and after sanding substrate, then applied 2-3 thin coats of etch, then depending on dry time sand before applying fill primer, then sand primer...I prefer wet sanding for smoother finish, then top coat.

Another reason....

How long was the bumper in the area before prepping? Even though it was in the room it was probably still colder and was not at room temperature.

Another reason...

If you applied was to heavy coats of product and it is colder and you do not wait for flash time. The first coat is still trying to flash through the several coats applied and so forth. Creating longer flash times as well.

I have always used wax and grease remover before and after sanding then use a tack cloth before applying product.

Hope this helps.

:beer:

MICP3309

I just got a bumper from PSC. I had a question about it, and when i called, I was informed they are covered with a packing / shipping oil to prevent rust in transit. They recommended an acid wash to ensure complete removal of this oil.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I just got a bumper from PSC. I had a question about it, and when i called, I was informed they are covered with a packing / shipping oil to prevent rust in transit. They recommended an acid wash to ensure complete removal of this oil.

Preferably, you should use a metal prep before priming.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I was going to add when company's ship bare metal they usually cost the metal will a light oil to keep from rusting I would use a cleaner to remove it but also make sure if you use a cleaner it doesn't leave a greasy residue I did my rims cleaned them then sanded them no prime sprayed bed liner and had no problems

Ah2014jk

Well as an update:

1- the part was sanded prior to primer and the wiped after sanding
2- the coats were put on thin and allowed to flash according to directions
3- the shine is more of a flash reflection.

Gonna have to send out to be sand blasted to get everything off and try again

On a side not, tried a rocker knocker next with the same procedure only this time sweated the metal with a torch after cleaning and all seems good so far! Guessing it burned off anything the wax and grease remover missed and warmed the metal enough to make everything stick.

Thanks for all the replies !

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Good luck to you. I look forward to seeing the finished product on you bass ass rig! So please post some pics up.:beer:

Ah2014jk

Ok so tell me this doesn't look good !! Just got it back from blasting and baking. There should be absolutely no oils or residue on it so the coating better stick !! Gonna give it a shot today and see how she goes ! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425133015.686430.jpg

Top Bottom