What do you think is the best JKU suspension/lift and why?

sean.m.adams33

If I had known then what I know now my setup would be a lot different. I have a fox coilover with eibach springs (front and rear) with all the synergy bracketry. Don't get me wrong it's a killer setup, but for a little more I could've gotten the full Evo coilover setup including the EVOlever in the rear. The shop I went to steered me away from EVO. I am not trying to push EVO on people, but honestly they have the best coilover setup out there for a JK. I feel like I am going to end up re doing all this later on down the line. I found the forum to late I guess. But anyone considering this I would just say save up a little more for the EVO setup. Nothing worse then paying twice.:banghead:

JaySC

If I had known then what I know now my setup would be a lot different. I have a fox coilover with eibach springs (front and rear) with all the synergy bracketry. Don't get me wrong it's a killer setup, but for a little more I could've gotten the full Evo coilover setup including the EVOlever in the rear. The shop I went to steered me away from EVO. I am not trying to push EVO on people, but honestly they have the best coilover setup out there for a JK. I feel like I am going to end up re doing all this later on down the line. I found the forum to late I guess. But anyone considering this I would just say save up a little more for the EVO setup. Nothing worse then paying twice.:banghead:

Lol..thats exactly what happened to me. I now have the evo bolt on coilovers, but had I known all this before I could have got a double throwdown by now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

sean.m.adams33

Lol..thats exactly what happened to me. I now have the evo bolt on coilovers, but had I known all this before I could have got a double throwdown by now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup. It's really frustrating. Just gotta be content with what you have. And wait around until it breaks so it can be upgraded....:yup:

nacho

Is there a best lift?:idontknow: Personally I have installed alot of different set ups that work. Just did a full DTD with high clearance long arms on a friends rig.. Damn, price of admission is steep but it is just amazing to watch it go. EVO stuff fits, works and seems very well built. I have done RK bolt on arms (after 2 years of hard wheeling rear lower bushings are toast) all 8, evo plush rides and fox shocks on a few rigs (mine included) and that seems to work well. I have speed bumps on my jeep, while not ideal, It was an experiment and better than regular bump stops. in retro spec would have been better to just go straight to king or fox air bumps, but live and learn thru my wallet I suppose. I am interested in the genright set up personally, thinking of doing it on my jeep to see how it works, or just get the tank and do my own links and brackets. will actually be able to compare it to a full EVO setup as my wheeling buddy (he is on here somewhere) is the kit I installed.

dahreno

Banned
Are you kidding ? I'm afraid to expand on my statement ! Actually , what works best for you is probably best for you . Every body wheels differently , goes to diff. places and hell most people even wheel differently on the same trail. lifts are kind of like speakers, what sound good to one person doesn't always sound good to someone else, right?

GCM 2

This one has it all.....

So obviously everyone has intentionally been avoiding the discussion of this time proven, trail worthy, do it all, race quality grade set up. Let me see your coils acheive the kind performance available to this guys leaf spring and lift blocks. With all due respect, you are all stupid.......and remember, I said with all due respect so its allowed. ;)

medium_3369463066_bddabb8635_o.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
So obviously everyone has intentionally been avoiding the discussion of this time proven, trail worthy, do it all, race quality grade set up. Let me see your coils acheive the kind performance available to this guys leaf spring and lift blocks. With all due respect, you are all stupid.......and remember, I said with all due respect so its allowed. ;)

View attachment 40252

F coil overs. I'm going Home Depot 4x4s and leaf springs. It will look a lot better on my 2012. 😉

The question is do I paint the 4x4s black to match the axels or silver to match my rig.

GCM 2

F coil overs. I'm going Home Depot 4x4s and leaf springs. It will look a lot better on my 2012. 

The question is do I paint the 4x4s black to match the axels or silver to match my rig.

Now see, you get it....This suspension is so worth the effort and so complex, he is still doing the mathematics to figure out the perfect balance of driveline angles.

MrJ3sser

Now see, you get it....This suspension is so worth the effort and so complex, he is still doing the mathematics to figure out the perfect balance of driveline angles.

I highly doubt simple math was used in this setup so much as any geometry. Lol

nacho

View attachment 40252

:bowdown: the holy grail of suspension design. that is some hardcore shit, he must of sent out his rockstar wheels for powder coating before the next KOH race

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That is great info! My 3 kids are ages 6-10, and my wife and kids come out on the trail with me a lot.

Would you take your family on the Rubicon with that set up?
Do you think the 37's would have been better with a long arm?
Do you think it 37's where just right, or would 35's have been better?

Sorry Spartan...I meant to come back sooner to reply. Yes, I would absolutely take my family on the Rubicon with that set up. The real question is whether my family would go. As I am sure you can appreciate, three kids next to eachother in the back of a Jeep for extended periods of time can be, well, interesting. They did pretty well on the recent run, but doing it for a couple of days might push everyone's nerves.

I haven't spent time behind the wheel of a JK with a long arm set up. My understanding is that the performance benefit is mostly on-road.

37's were right for this trail. 35's would have worked, but I would have just hit more rocks. (I attribute the hitting some rocks to driver error. It's been over a year since I've driven a Jeep on anything more than a dirt road so my line choice and wheel placement was not as good as it should have been. I took a bad line on an uphill section and got hung up. It was 100% my error...not the Jeep's.)

Spartan

Thanks for the Info. You have a point about long trips with kids. They did good good in Moab, but only did all day in the Jeep trails every other day.

That setup is one of the ones I'm really thinking about getting. The only real reason I can see for going with the EVO DD over the Enforcer is if I was going to add the EVO leaver at some point. Leaning towards the Enforcer, and then adding on EVO double throw down coil overs later. Still not sure if I want 35" or 37" tires. Also still torn on Nitto Trail Grappler or Another set of KM2's.

Spartan

Do you know if it was a 2012+ JKUR with the new engine? I know my 2010 JKUR felt very underpowered on hills at Hwy speeds with 35" KM2, but had plenty off road power. From what I can tell Nitto's are heavier, so wondering if 37" Nitto's with the new engine feel about the same as 35" KM2's with the old engine.

Paisano

I have 37's Nittos on ATX Slabs and the new motor with 4:88 gears. I have plenty of power but much of that has to do with what gear I'm in. From my memory of the 3.8 and Tranny ,the 3.6 and new Tranny would still have more power with 37's then the 3.8 with 35's.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Do you know if it was a 2012+ JKUR with the new engine? I know my 2010 JKUR felt very underpowered on hills at Hwy speeds with 35" KM2, but had plenty off road power. From what I can tell Nitto's are heavier, so wondering if 37" Nitto's with the new engine feel about the same as 35" KM2's with the old engine.

It was MTG's rig and I have helped out with some of his installs so I'm pretty familiar with his Jeep. Knuckles (his Jeep) is a 2012 running ATX Slab beadlocks, 37" Nitto TG's, and 5.13 gears. I spent some time behind the wheel of Knuckles, pre-gears, when it was running 35" Nitto TG's. It did fine on the highway and in Moab. With the 37's and beadlocks though, I think the new gears help out a lot and I would most likely do the same with my own Jeep.

Spartan

It was MTG's rig and I have helped out with some of his installs so I'm pretty familiar with his Jeep. Knuckles (his Jeep) is a 2012 running ATX Slab beadlocks, 37" Nitto TG's, and 5.13 gears. I spent some time behind the wheel of Knuckles, pre-gears, when it was running 35" Nitto TG's. It did fine on the highway and in Moab. With the 37's and beadlocks though, I think the new gears help out a lot and I would most likely do the same with my own Jeep.

Spartan

I have 37's Nittos on ATX Slabs and the new motor with 4:88 gears. I have plenty of power but much of that has to do with what gear I'm in. From my memory of the 3.8 and Tranny ,the 3.6 and new Tranny would still have more power with 37's then the 3.8 with 35's.

I'm guessing you didn't have the 4:10 stock Rubi gears to start with, and if you did why did you only regear to 4:88?

Paisano

Guessed wrong... I did have the 4:10 gears and 4:88 are keeping with the 3.6 chart as compared to stock 4:10. It's a great medium for trails and road. If I was free to wheel more often I'd considered going to 5:13 but the 4:88 are stronger.

JAGS

Hooked
Guessed wrong... I did have the 4:10 gears and 4:88 are keeping with the 3.6 chart as compared to stock 4:10. It's a great medium for trails and road. If I was free to wheel more often I'd considered going to 5:13 but the 4:88 are stronger.

Yep, most people would run this set up. The 4.88s really put you right in the sweet spot for most situations. I think MTG runs the 5.13s in part because he is at altitude and the passes with the 5.13s were easier. There might be other reasons for higher gears, but that would be case by case to determine.

Top Bottom