what is your trailer ? camp trailer , teardrop , travel trailer or ????????

Abntroop

Finished adding the receiver and wiring harness week before last. Today was the first day hooking the trailer up to the Wampa. Ordered a new tire carrier today so I can shift my spare up to accommodate my alternate raised locknroll hitch as the straight one has the trailer leaning too far forward. Dragging it to work tomorrow and hopefully should have time in the next couple weeks to get it into our spray booth to repaint it to match the Wampa. View attachment 321350

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sunnysideup

Wanted a trailer with as many "creature comforts" as possible but still able to go close to anywhere I'd want to drive. So I built one..

Untitled by Daniel Avis, on Flickr

Untitled by Daniel Avis, on Flickr Untitled by Daniel Avis, on Flickr

I really like that setup! I built a similar thing, on my second axle too, and I love the long springs on yours... I think I might need to go with longer springs on mine too. Gonna try some shock first this winter... but when mine is empty... it has too much bounce and sway going on... Yours looks wider too, I thought it was smart to make mine narrow so it tracked behind the Jeep closer... but it might have done better with more width. Very nice looking build!

Abntroop

You might consider looking into the timbren axle-less setup. Ditched my axle and leaf spring combo. Man it pulls so much more smooth and removes the majority of bounciness. Worth its weight in gold on an off road trailer. Pulls well both loaded and unloaded.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
You might consider looking into the timbren axle-less setup. Ditched my axle and leaf spring combo. Man it pulls so much more smooth and removes the majority of bounciness. Worth its weight in gold on an off road trailer. Pulls well both loaded and unloaded.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree...I have Timbren's on my Xventure...it also increases ground clearance...

Abntroop

Brakes are good for the trail, especially when backing up down a hill...

I have not encountered that situation yet. I am sure it will spur a new motivation to add them [emoji23]. After four plus years of ownsership, I am ashamed to say I am still not 100% proficient in backing up with this thing. Probably the main reason I don’t own a boat, when the fishing runs on the Columbia pick up, the crowds of guys judging how fast you can back up, slam your boat In the water and get the hell out of the way for the next guy seems more intimidating to me than getting shot at overseas. Hopefully if the day on the trail comes, I am with a group of helpful and patient folks. Skill comes with time and practice I suppose. [emoji846]

Brute

Hooked
I have not encountered that situation yet. I am sure it will spur a new motivation to add them [emoji23]. After four plus years of ownsership, I am ashamed to say I am still not 100% proficient in backing up with this thing. Probably the main reason I don’t own a boat, when the fishing runs on the Columbia pick up, the crowds of guys judging how fast you can back up, slam your boat In the water and get the hell out of the way for the next guy seems more intimidating to me than getting shot at overseas. Hopefully if the day on the trail comes, I am with a group of helpful and patient folks. Skill comes with time and practice I suppose. [emoji846]

Backing up a boat is way easier...the longer the boat, the easier it is. Short wheelbase trailer with a tow vehicle with longer wheelbase is the hardest to back up...I've been trailering boats for over 40 years, and I have a way harder time getting my off road trailer into a tight storage space...

You may want to consider manual hand brakes on each wheel of the trailer...I have them on mine; when you lock one side, it turns on a dime in reverse...not to mention it makes uncoupling by yourself much easier, especially on a grade

Abntroop

Thank you for that! Glad I’m not alone and have some physics working against me, I’ll be sure to add that to my list of excuses [emoji23]
Physical hand brakes on either side of trailer? Or electrically controlled?

Brute

Hooked
Thank you for that! Glad I’m not alone and have some physics working against me, I’ll be sure to add that to my list of excuses [emoji23]
Physical hand brakes on either side of trailer? Or electrically controlled?

Mechanical...with a lever on each sid with a cable to the brakes. I'll visit my storage this week and take a pic

sunnysideup

I'll look into the cost on those.... I've never had a trailer with anything other than an axle and springs... so you know... that's what I built. Backing mine up is a challenge too, it turns so quick...
I have brakes in my drums, and a controller in the Jeep... I just need to hook them up some day, but thus far it hasn't given me problems, but I don't use it much in ice or snow.
I think fully loaded it might be just under 2000 lbs. That's with the water full, gas tanks full, coolers and ice full, wood rack full... and drawers all full. So it is mostly unnoticeable full... and it tows great for hundreds of miles

When the food is gone, the wood is burnt, gas is spent, food is ate, water tank is empty... it has went into a bounce fit … and then it comes out of it and tows good for 200 miles... hits a bump wrong and it does its thing again... I don't know why the dynamics change so much with 400 lbs less weight, but it doesn't like being empty.

It's not heavy enough to move the jeep, but it looks rough on the trailer when it does it, like a "harmonic imbalance…" lol.... and it can't be good on wheel bearings for the 300 feet it does it .

I'm mounting some rancho 9000's we had laying in the garage... so I can adjust them to really stiff, to less stiff with the knobs- and maybe I can dial them in to work right. I bought the type of shock mounts that sit on top of the leaf spring top plate and they will mount outside the springs to the triangle axle braces I have on the side of the lower part of the box... if that doesn't work I'll try looking into the other option you mention... this option is 36 dollars right now.... so its worth a try!

Last edited:

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Some good looking setups guys ... almost makes me wish I had held onto the m101a and done some conversion work on it but I got to admit am kinna likin this cargo trailer I'm doing specially in rainy chilly weather we've been getting down here (course you also need to factor in it's my full time dwelling ) ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Avis

I really like that setup! I built a similar thing, on my second axle too, and I love the long springs on yours... I think I might need to go with longer springs on mine too. Gonna try some shock first this winter... but when mine is empty... it has too much bounce and sway going on... Yours looks wider too, I thought it was smart to make mine narrow so it tracked behind the Jeep closer... but it might have done better with more width. Very nice looking build!

Thanks! Trailer is a bit wider than most peoples but still is no wider than my Jeep. I did this to make it more stable in off camber situations.. The springs are off a TRD Pro Tacoma and work pretty good. Paired with the Fox shocks, it pulls absolutely amazing in any situation. If I somehow manage to destroy this axle, I will be going a completely different route with the "axleless" setup as mentioned above.

Top Bottom