what kind of damage can occure when diesl ran through the wrangler JKUR engine?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
hi all. last Thursday July 17, 14, i stopped by Pilot gas station in Hesperia/ 395 HWY and filled up my gas tank with 17 gallons of diesel. before you say "what an idiot' please read this: i used the gas pump and selected 89 octane gas (Petrol) fuel.
i drove the jeep home (about 8 miles away from the gas station and drove to work next day for another 38 miles (going down hill) ). i did not notice any issues.... after work, i pulled the jeep out of the parking lot, and drove for about 300 feet, then the engine cutoff and was backfiring .....no smoke or any indication of fuel contamination.
I pulled a side and plugged my OBDII reader, and gave me code P0300 (random misfire,) and P0305 (misfire at piston #5)... i replaced the spark plug and coil control unit... but that did not fix it.
i had the Jeep towed to the dealership where the service tech asked me if i had filled up with gas at pilot station ( how did he know that?) he said he had about 12+ chrsyler and jeep vehicles in his shop for same issue.

THE Jeep still at the dealership..

my question is, since i drove my jeep for about 45 miles, is my engine is now damaged or just the fuel system just need cleaning?

thank you,
Mike

Putting diesel in a gas engine is not as harmful as putting gas in a Diesel engine. Since diesel has more oil content it doesn't hurt anything. If ran for an extended amount of time it could ruin your catalytic converters, but most gas engines won't run long enough on diesel fuel to cause that kind of damage.

Now putting gas in a Diesel engine is a whole other story. The lack of lubricity in gasoline can ruin injectors, injector seals, high pressure injection pump, and other fuel system components.

Ceithre

I would start talking with a lawyer so if pilot for whatever reason tries to back out on you you can take legal action right away. I would push for new motor maybe a LS ;)

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned diesel in a gas engine will not harm it that much my friends did the same thing even after selecting diesel fuel and realizing the spigot didn't fit but they put it in there anyway...btw these are the same guys that decided to check the antifreeze level and filled the engine with antifreeze...through the oil fill, then wondered why it took 3 gallons of antifreeze to fill it..... least mechanically inclined.....:doh:

AC/DC

I had the JK towed in about 3 years ago now, the owner put diesel in by accident. I hot wired the fuel pump on, and pumped all 20 gallons out. Put 5 gallons of 105 octane in and it fired up. Run like crap for about 10mins. That was at about 20k miles. I have done every oil change since, it now has almost 100k, and still running the same fuel pump, fuel ingectors, engine...

Just my experience.

I realize this is an old thread but with what just happened to Slater it would be nice to know what the final outcome was.

R/
Will

Top Bottom