What problems does your Jeep have this week?

Went out playing in the snow today.
4 low wants to pop out. Kinda grinds in every gear. Reverse included
When in 4 hi its slightly better but will t case will disengage still. Cant keep it in 2nd gear with out pressure even in 4 hi. The bottom gears 2nd, 4th and reverse all seam to be out of place. I have to push the stick down pretty hard to find them. The stick itself seams a couple inches lower now too.
It did get me off the trail and back to the shop. Everything is packed with snow so I cant get. Good look till it drys, but my skid plate is in place and nothing immediately appears out of place.
99 tj 4.0. Its lifted about 5 inches with a 2 inch drop for the skid plate. Everything is stock.
Any ideas what I'm looking to fix?

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app
Your first issue sounds like your tcase shifter needs adjustment, which is no big deal, makes life easier if you switch to a cable style like Novak. But then you say your shifter has physically dropped from where it normally is, which is impossible if your skid plate hasn't dropped down. Are you sure the skid hasn't dropped? Even if the trans mount tore I don't think it would drop down that much. Try lifting up the upper rubber boot surround of the stick and have a look down at the lower boot see if its torn up or anything in the way of the stick itself. With a 2" skid drop your forward cupholder should be in the way of a 20oz pop bottle hitting the shifter, are you having to hold the stick further back then that?

Elroy231

I did notice the t case shifter was a bit stiffer also. Ill pull the boot in morning and look at that area. Probably end up dropping the skid plate. Hoping it's some how just the linkage and ice and snow build up. Let it dry and I can get a better look. I'm new to working on any vehicle. Never had an interest till I got a a jeep. So I'll admit my knowledge is pretty limited. I can turn a wrench tho.
Your first issue sounds like your tcase shifter needs adjustment, which is no big deal, makes life easier if you switch to a cable style like Novak. But then you say your shifter has physically dropped from where it normally is, which is impossible if your skid plate hasn't dropped down. Are you sure the skid hasn't dropped? Even if the trans mount tore I don't think it would drop down that much. Try lifting up the upper rubber boot surround of the stick and have a look down at the lower boot see if its torn up or anything in the way of the stick itself. With a 2" skid drop your forward cupholder should be in the way of a 20oz pop bottle, are you having to hold the stick further back then that?

I don’t think it should go up and down. The stick is bolted to the actual shifter hopefully the bolts just fell out or are really loose

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It most definitely should not go up and down. 99 should be an AX15 not the nv3550. So the shifter is attached with a twist collar thing. If you can freely move it up and down I think its not rotated and latched in place and you're lifting it up out of the trans.

Elroy231

I have a feeling this is gonna get interesting. I would have to guess the screws are lose. It does move up and down for sure. That doesnt seam like it would effect my t case engaging tho?
I don’t think it should go up and down. The stick is bolted to the actual shifter hopefully the bolts just fell out or are really loose
View attachment 340269
Added a picture

JKbrick

It most definitely should not go up and down. 99 should be an AX15 not the nv3550. So the shifter is attached with a twist collar thing. If you can freely move it up and down I think its not rotated and latched in place and you're lifting it up out of the trans.

I bet my sons 03 was a nv3550 then since it bolted on

Elroy231

03 seen alot of changes. Skid plate is different. Drive shafts are slightly different lengths. Just minor stuff that I've noticed when we did a frame off rebuild on my 02 tj. Had a few 03 parts on hand. I had to paint parts like 3 times because the stuff I started with wasnt quite a fit.
I bet my sons 03 was a nv3550 then since it bolted on

Elroy231

Appreciate the input. I had a feeling it was a couple things just based on what its doing. Dig into tomorrow and I'll keep you guys posted on results.
It does not, you have two separate issues. The tcase shifter just needs to be adjusted, or possibly it popped out of the bushing. Easy quick fixes. Shifter is its own thing.

Miramontes

If the TIPM was changed then your programmer may not recognize the new computer. I’d get a hold of superchips and tell them. I believe the dealership would’ve flashed the TIPM to your VIN but that may not matter.

It didn’t even cross my mind that they would do that. I will call superchips for sure. It’s been so long since I installed the Traildash that I don’t remember if I had to take precautions before taking it to the dealer. Thank You

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

federally

My Jeep has a pretty terrible oil leak.

I think it's the oil filter adapter, but I can't actually see it.

Not looking forward to having to fix it

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Had a diff oil drip from the rear diff after running the washboard roads in Death Valley . 4 bolts on the bottom of the pumpkin were loose . Need to crawl under and do a torque check on everything

Elroy231

As it turns out....skid plate isnt fully attached. Passenger side bolts where all gone. Obviously I havnt done proper maintenance. I knew that 1 bolt on that side was an issue. Thought I kept a close enough eye on it. Atleast it's a pretty easy fix.
Appreciate the input. I had a feeling it was a couple things just based on what its doing. Dig into tomorrow and I'll keep you guys posted on results.

As it turns out....skid plate isnt fully attached. Passenger side bolts where all gone. Obviously I havnt done proper maintenance. I knew that 1 bolt on that side was an issue. Thought I kept a close enough eye on it. Atleast it's a pretty easy fix.

Yeah that’ll do it. Bolts should be 1/2-13, can use grade 8 washers instead of having to order the ball seat bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom