what rear upper shock mounts to run with Rockstar skids??

quertyman

Must be missing something. I've read hundred (thousands?) of Jeep suspension posts over the past few years now. I don't recall anyone else have a shock that's too long, needing to relocate the upper mount.

The obvious question I'm missing is, What are you attempting to achieve that demands you use a shock too long, that you cannot just get a shorter shock? At the end of the day, is the extra inch of droop this might deliver (lost if you hike its mount point) really going to improve your off-road ability?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
If you look at the race cars with the coilovers through the tub you can see that it's like that in order to fit a longer shock in there. More down travel without losing any up travel. If your jeep can handle a 2" bumpstops without rubbing tires but your shocks can't, a raised upper shock mount would allow that shock to not bottom out and have more droop than a shorter shock would. Instead another solution is just add more bump. This is exactly what situation my jeep is in. I value that up travel because of the way I drive when it comes to the streets, hills, desert etc.

Now I'm sure he doesn't want to replace his shocks just to get the rockstar skids, but if there was a way to raise the upper and lower shock mount the same height, than no suspension geometry would be changed.

EDIT: Just did some research and found that synergy makes a replacement upper and lower rear shock mount with skids on the bottom. The upper mount gives you a 2" higher shock mount while the lower gives 1 3/8. OP why dont you just pair those two products together? They were made for each other and it looks like the lower one has an increase of 1.25" ground clearence vs the evos 1.5" of ground clearence.
PPM-8078-D8-400.jpg PPM-8086-D1-400.jpg

Last edited:

deadguy

I did the synergy upper mount to regain the rise from the rockstar lowers. gained 2" up with the relocation

sent from a guy with a Jeep

deadguy

Lol been like that for a long time, that's my rock krawler 1" stretch that's so we'll accepted. I'm gonna do a real stretch in the near future so it works for now so it stays

sent from a guy with a Jeep

kawimoto

If you look at the race cars with the coilovers through the tub you can see that it's like that in order to fit a longer shock in there. More down travel without losing any up travel. If your jeep can handle a 2" bumpstops without rubbing tires but your shocks can't, a raised upper shock mount would allow that shock to not bottom out and have more droop than a shorter shock would. Instead another solution is just add more bump. This is exactly what situation my jeep is in. I value that up travel because of the way I drive when it comes to the streets, hills, desert etc.

Now I'm sure he doesn't want to replace his shocks just to get the rockstar skids, but if there was a way to raise the upper and lower shock mount the same height, than no suspension geometry would be changed.

EDIT: Just did some research and found that synergy makes a replacement upper and lower rear shock mount with skids on the bottom. The upper mount gives you a 2" higher shock mount while the lower gives 1 3/8. OP why dont you just pair those two products together? They were made for each other and it looks like the lower one has an increase of 1.25" ground clearence vs the evos 1.5" of ground clearence.
View attachment 270366 View attachment 270367

Thanks for the pics! Yea I would go to synergy lowers but I've already got the rockstars and they were a gift from my wife so they are getting used. You're correct on the suspension statements though and the first of quite a few to understand what I was saying. Everyone was getting caught up on bumpstops for some reason... I've got the fender clearance with the bumps I've got to gain an extra 2"of stuff from the upper relos and I run coil retainers so I'm not worried about too much droop. Just trying to maximize the travel of the shock I've got in both directions while also gaining valuable ground clearance

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Alright guys, I've searched and searched and can find nothing on a rear upper solution for shock mounts... the synergys make for a bound up setup according to my web search when paired with evo rockstars. anyone running rockstars have any input on what they run? pics? I'm running fox 4-6'' shocks with 4'' coilsprings and about 3'' of bump. I'd love to not have to add any bump and like to entertain the idea of regaining my lost up travel, but before I pull the trigger on anything hoping to get some advise from those who have already tackled this?

How much up travel have you really lost? When you compress and cycle your axle are your shocks & coils fully compressed or do they still have room to go?

I've seen numerous guys worried about the UP travel on the shocks and not even consider that their coils are already fully compressed ...which really means they need to be adding a taller bump stop.

Personally I wouldn't want my coils taking that kind of a beating.
IMO coil shocks and bump stops all work together

I've been out of a data zone for a week everything just updated looks like everyone's covered the subject

Last edited:

kawimoto

How much up travel have you really lost? When you compress and cycle your axle are your shocks & coils fully compressed or do they still have room to go?

I've seen numerous guys worried about the UP travel on the shocks and not even consider that their coils are already fully compressed ...which really means they need to be adding a taller bump stop.

Personally I wouldn't want my coils taking that kind of a beating.
IMO coil shocks and bump stops all work together

I've been out of a data zone for a week everything just updated looks like everyone's covered the subject

I'll take some pics when I get a chance to full stuff again and re measure before doing the rockstar install

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom