What's in your Jeep tool kit?

jesse3638

Hooked
Picked up a bucket of random junk tools at a garage sale. The first one with the V selector is cool. 1959 to mid 60’s era.
I love that stuff it's like a mystery bucket. Found a roll of 3M Emery cloth for $2 that way. Came in handy when I did my ball joints. It'll probably last me the test of my life...haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I love that stuff it's like a mystery bucket. Found a roll of 3M Emery cloth for $2 that way. Came in handy when I did my ball joints. It'll probably last me the test of my life...haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Totally. It’s always neat and sad going through an estate sale of an old guys garage. 90% or more of my tool collection has come this way.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’m tired of my garage tools living in my Jeep bag... so starting to buy a second set...

1. Does anyone else carry double of their wrenches?

2. Sockets - 6 point or 12 point?

3. Is it dumb to carry Deep Socket, Short Socket, 3/8 & 1/2 Drive.. Too much?

I tend to like duplicates of some shit... but trying to simplify.. thoughts?

Adjustments.jpg

jdofmemi

I’m tired of my garage tools living in my Jeep bag... so starting to buy a second set...

View attachment 350297

You know whatever you take out will be what you need.

I am consolidating some, but whatever I do to the Jeep, I do with the tools I carry when I go out. Then I know I have what it takes to do the job, and then some.

After my pretty major overhaul, I'm going to leave a few things home, but not much. Two sets of wrenches for sure, short and deep sockets, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive sets, plus impact, extensions, wobbles, torx, Allen, and a lot of other crap I hope to not need.

Your kit looks pretty good. You can get away with a little bit less, but careful not to leave out something you might need.

jdofmemi

View attachment 350297

Another thing

Get rid of the U joint style socket joints and get the ball and socket type.

And I'm not seeing an axle nut socket.

I carry double metric, but only single set of standards.

I'm sure there is more, I don't see screwdrivers, pry bars, etc.

Two files, flat and triangle, for threads. Punches, chisels, drift, hammer, sledgehammer.
Trim pry tools
Large crescent for johnny joints, etc
Pipe wrench, channel locks, various pliers. Wiring kit, and the list goes on, but I'm too tired to remember all of it.

Basically, any tool I have ever used to work on the Jeep, travels in the Jeep, just in case

TrailHunter

Hooked
Another thing

Get rid of the U joint style socket joints and get the ball and socket type.

And I'm not seeing an axle nut socket.

I carry double metric, but only single set of standards.

I'm sure there is more, I don't see screwdrivers, pry bars, etc.

Two files, flat and triangle, for threads. Punches, chisels, drift, hammer, sledgehammer.
Trim pry tools
Large crescent for johnny joints, etc
Pipe wrench, channel locks, various pliers. Wiring kit, and the list goes on, but I'm too tired to remember all of it.

Basically, any tool I have ever used to work on the Jeep, travels in the Jeep, just in case

I have another bag with those tools... and I already have double of all that in the garage... there is a 36mm on that table too.. Thanks for the tips.. [emoji1417]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

View attachment 350297

It’s always better to overpack than to under pack when it comes to tools imo. I carry my harbor freight tool box plus I bring some tools from work with me. I usually end up having double of most sizes and variations.

The main tools I focus on are things that would prevent me from driving home. So tools for pulling and replacing driveline and suspension components.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 350297

Double wrenched like two of 13mm? I carry two of the ones I’ll likely need or hard to find. 18-22.

Mostly half inch for my impact but carry some smaller sockets in 3/8 for tight spaces. I’m not going to use a 3/8 for a control arm bolt so no need to carry at 18-22mm socket for that.

I also carry six point and just the 12 points I need like for Dynatrac diffs.

Since your jeep is mostly stock hardware I would guess you probably don’t need metric and standard but I carry both. Also added more when the JL. And out cause they have larger sizes on pinion nut and track bar and crap.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
If your going to carry a double set of wrenches, pack a set of Standard and a set of Short wrenches so you have options.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

dillard09

I found this gold nugget today on the road. It went in my bag. Cant have to many of those.

Attachments

• 20200716_085618.jpg
    20200716_085618.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 96

WJCO

Meme King

I tend to carry duplicates of the short and deep sockets along with extra wobble adapters, drive adapters, and extensions. You never know when you'll need that random fucking tool for a hard to reach location.

Last edited:

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I follow the philosophy of...'better to have and not need than need and not have'. I pack most the heavy things so that they are as low in vehicle as possible. Bags go on rear floor in front of back seat and impact tools and bank bags go under back seat. The Bartact bags and seat covers are awesome. Rags, misc stuff can go all over. ALWAYS have chainsaw and trimmers. Here in the east it's a must.
IMG_3426.jpg
IMG_3414.jpg
IMG_3415.jpg
IMG_3422.jpg
IMG_3419.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3420.jpg
IMG_3418.jpg
IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
A lot of good info in this thread. Unfortunately, there’s no way in hell I’m going to carry that amount of gear. I’m not wheeling like you guys are either.
You did motivate me to put my Carl Gustaf ammo box in service. Spray lined the inside and right now, it’s carrying my typical beach/sand day gear. Compressed air set up with spider for airing back up, some recovery equipment (almost all soft link) and some other minor stuff I’d use there. I’ll change up what I carry to try and tailor to the trip I’m on, so this box will be a work in progress that’s never really done.
I’m able to keep the most room when I put the lid on, flip it on its side and strap it behind my rear seats. IMG_2412.jpg IMG_2413.jpg IMG_2414.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JsP

Wishing everyone a fantastic beginning to the new year!
As my 18 JL Rubicon hits 70k miles, I’m keen on refining the tools I bring for off-roading. Currently on stock suspension, I’m noticing wear and tear on various parts. Seeking advice from this community, I’d appreciate recommendations on essential tools to carry without turning my Jeep into a mobile tool cart. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom