Wheel Help Please ...

BillTheCat

My Jeep JKU is my daily driver and weekend warrior. Currently running Duratrac 315/70/r17 (7.5). I'm looking at the 37" Cooper SST Pros. Thought I'd stay with 17 inch wheel, but having trouble deciding on the width. Stay with 7.5, or move to 8 or 9 inch. I have a 3.5 inch lift and changed the gears to 5.38 front and back. How does one decide?

Been reading posts for days and now I'm in the middle of analysis paralysis.

I dont believe that many shops like mounting 35s let alone 37s to 7.5 inch wide wheels. I would lean more towards the 8 or 9 inch wide wheels if it were me

look at the tire manufacturer specs, they usually have a recommended wheel width that you want to follow. once you get to the expense of a 37, IMO you don't want to risk a denied tire damage claim due to improper wheel size.

you can also check with the tire seller, they will recommend the proper width. I know the Discount Tire in my area will not mount a 37 on the stock wheels or anything less that the minimum recommended width

This might help. This is a 17x8 with a 37x13.5x17. Even on a big ass truck it looked like a fat guy in skinny jeans.
17x8.jpg

The same tire, 37x13.5x17 on a 9 inch wide rim, still looks a little fluffy and this set of tires didnt last but 20K with heavy off road use and were on my JK sport.....
IMG_3084.jpg

On the JKU I have 37x12.5x17 on the same 9 inch rim and I think I will get a few more miles out of this both on and off road use, plus it looks a lot better and I can run it at 30lbs on the road without a kidney belt.
IMG_3150.jpg

Thanks! The pics really helped.

This might help. This is a 17x8 with a 37x13.5x17. Even on a big ass truck it looked like a fat guy in skinny jeans.
View attachment 202695

The same tire, 37x13.5x17 on a 9 inch wide rim, still looks a little fluffy and this set of tires didnt last but 20K with heavy off road use and were on my JK sport.....
View attachment 202696

On the JKU I have 37x12.5x17 on the same 9 inch rim and I think I will get a few more miles out of this both on and off road use, plus it looks a lot better and I can run it at 30lbs on the road without a kidney belt.
View attachment 202697

Top Bottom