When to replace my tires?

RedJKU

I am currently running 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers with 31k miles on them. Is there a rule of thumb as to when they should be replaced? I am sure the penny trick doesn't apply here. I could probably get 35k to 38k out of them but i am heading to Moab for the EJS next month and I want my tires to perform. Any insight is appreciated.

I am currently running 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers with 31k miles on them. Is there a rule of thumb as to when they should be replaced? I am sure the penny trick doesn't apply here. I could probably get 35k to 38k out of them but i am heading to Moab for the EJS next month and I want my tires to perform. Any insight is appreciated.

Pictures would help. And I'm sure a tread depth tool would assist I'm determining how low you really are. 31k sounds a bit early to replace TGs but there are a lot of factors to consider (psi, road conditions, weather, driving conditions, barometric pressure, did you run summer air in the spring or spring air in the summer.... Etc)

Pictures would help. And I'm sure a tread depth tool would assist I'm determining how low you really are. 31k sounds a bit early to replace TGs but there are a lot of factors to consider (psi, road conditions, weather, driving conditions, barometric pressure, did you run summer air in the spring or spring air in the summer.... Etc)

Like Frank said a tread depth tool would help, and I suggest replace anything 2/32 of an inch or less on tread just my .02

Sent from my whatyamacallit

Sell them when you can find a buyer that you can sale your old tires to for a good down payment on the new tires lol. yea post some pics so we can see how bad they are.

Almost all tires have a tread wear indicator that measures 2/32" above the carcass of the tire. When your tread is even with this indicator, the manufacturer considers the tire worn out. Of course, when the tire meets the indicator or is just above it, the tire won't perform very well on wet pavement, snow, or off road. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395318502.665558.jpg

I have 38,000 on these tires. Just make sure you are running the manufacture's recommended PSI not 32 or 35. You will get a butt load of life out of them. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395341694.112294.jpg

Sent by Pony Express

I run at 30 psi to smooth out the ride. Unfortunately, mostly highway miles as she's my daily driver. I will post pics tonight. I'm probably good for a few thousand more. Thx.

So what PSI do you run your at?

- Jason

Ha. They say to run at 65 psi. It's a give and take. If you run lower psi like 35, you get a better ride but the tires heat up and wear out faster. But I run 50 psi. I didn't buy a Caddy. So I understand it's a Jeep and I get 17-18 mpg average. Tires cost to much to only get 25,000 to 30,000 miles out of them.

Sent by Pony Express

I run at 30 psi to smooth out the ride. Unfortunately, mostly highway miles as she's my daily driver. I will post pics tonight. I'm probably good for a few thousand more. Thx.

I drive mine everyday too. 40-50 miles a day.

Sent by Pony Express

Look at the tire it's like a rick sitting in the street, he's running like 50 psi lol

Yep. Gettin great mileage and a hell of a lot mileage. Tire sidewall says to run 65 on 35 and 80 on 33 tires.

Sent by Pony Express

Yep. Gettin great mileage and a hell of a lot mileage. Tire sidewall says to run 65 on 35 and 80 on 33 tires.

Sent by Pony Express

80 psi on 33s? Your crazy bro!!!
That's way way wayyyyy to much air for a tire. Just because it says 70 or 80 dose t mean you have to use that psi

80 psi on 33s?

I know it sounds crazy. But check your tires and just see what they say. I had toyos and ran them at 32 for a softer ride but they didn't last 20,000 miles. So I just live with the rock hard tires and loving the gas milage.

Sent by Pony Express

I know it sounds crazy. But check your tires and just see what they say. I had toyos and ran them at 32 for a softer ride but they didn't last 20,000 miles. So I just live with the rock hard tires and loving the gas milage.

Sent by Pony Express

Ok it's your rig can't do nothing about it

Sent by Pony Express

What is the MPG difference?

Top Bottom