Which Lift? What Height? Pictures?

tonytony9

I have a dream that one day my jeep will be lifted...and look pretty badass.

But before then, I need some help choosing the appropriate lift, and the appropriate lift heigh.

I was considering doing a budget boost. One of those 2-2.5 inch lifts that are usually $300 or less. But now I think I really just want to save the money, and do it the right way. Plus I think I want a 3 inch lift.

Question 1:
I have a 2008 jk unlimited X with around 120k miles on it. I plan on keeping it forever. Will a lift be too detrimental to my rig?

Question 2:
I am currently running 295 size tires with 1.5inch wheel spacers. I wish I went for a different style, but we learn from our mistakes. They are pretty new, so I will have to deal with them for a little while. WHAT lift height do you think will look good with these tires/looking forward into the future when I get a more aggressive looking tire (maybe 35inch?!?!?...who knows).

*old pictures, some things have changed, but gives a good idea of tires and how they look.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432666364.158088.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432666398.434342.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432666477.844409.jpg

Thanks guys!

BlackHawk08jk

If done right it should not be detrimental to the jeep. Other than making you want to wheel it. And I say a 3 or 4" lift is more than enough. Eddie is only running around 3" on moby, and he has no trouble. I have a 4" and love it. I'm running 35" nitto mud grapplers, but could fit 37. Just don't wana run 37s on my d30 front axle.

Last edited:
If I were you the first place to start would be the local Jeep club. That way you can see in person and possibly take a ride in their jeep to see what you like. Next I would look over the build threads to see what others have done to their Jeep and come up with specific questions to them.

I hope this helps.

Here is Canvas with specs on The Blank Canvas build thread or my bio.

jeep11.jpg

Flyboy88

If done right it should not be detrimental to the jeep. Other than making you want to wheel it. And I say a 3 or 4" lift is more than enough. Eddie is only running around 3" on moby, and he has no trouble. I have a 4" and love it. I'm running 35" nitto mud grapplers, but could fit 37. Just don't wana run 37s on my d30 front axle.

I was under the impression he was running about 5.5"?

BlackHawk08jk

I was under the impression he was running about 5.5"?

Nope just not to long ago he mentioned that was all he was running. He has his coil overs set at about 3 inches. Honestly wit good backspacing and proper bump stops you don't need a major tall lift to get big tires under a jk. And flat fenders.

bOLsAK3

From my experience there aren't too many suspensions out there that could be considered "detrimental" other than one that is incorrectly installed.

Everybody I know has lifted their Jeep and as you see most people on this site have as well. So as you see it is one of THE most common mods and a 2-3" lift is extremely common as well.

Since you are considering any one of the many available what you should truly question is which lift is best for me. Ask yourself what characteristics you prefer first such as ride quality or whether or not you can add more to it later or how big or small your budget is. No matter what your driving factors may be there is a perfect lift for you out there and most of us figure out which one suites us best through trial and error.

As for the tires you're running any of those heights should be perfectly suitable. Beyond that it's just personal preference.

Here's a shot of my Rubicon Express 3.5". I've added j.e.reel drive shafts exhaust spacers and Rock Krawler rear upper control arms (nesessary for rear driveline alignment on my 2015 to stop driveline vibration). The lift was a bit rough up front before I added a warn elite bumper but has since softened with the added weight.

This is w/o the bumper on 315 17 tires.
20150311_190702.jpg

Last edited:

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the rig and hope you enjoy building it. I started in a similar situation. For your questions specifically...

#1- the only detrimental lift is one that is improperly setup or incorrectly installed

#2- for your current tires a Budget Boost 1.5"-2.5" will look great

I was in a similar situation and decided to build my rig in 4 phases. Phase 1 included 2.5" budget boost, Bilstien 5100s, regearing, 35s, and lower control arms. Excellent start for me, got some clearance and gearing made it drive like stock again. I kept it under 3" so I didn't have to do driveshaft, drop link, etc. until I'm ready for a real lift.

Phase 2 included armor all the way around to keep it protected. It's currently at ORE getting front and rear bumpers and sliders. Also adding winch. Pickup on Friday

Phase 3 will be the Double Throwdown suspension. Note I want to go big and will keep my rig forever so this is worth it to me, you can decide if you really need it. Lots of great options in the 3"-4" range. Lots of great advice on this forum as well when you're ready for your purchase

Phase 4 for me will be PR44 front axle, ARB rear diff, ATX Chamber pro IIs and some 37s.

Just my route, you get to pick your own. Here is a shot currently sitting on the 35s and 2.5" budget boost

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432754484.150034.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432754505.688649.jpg

Dirt Foot

I am running an Evo enforcer 3" kit with rancho 9000 set at 3 in the front and 4 in the back. Super nice ride with my 35x12.5x18 Toyo MT's. Plenty of clearance for 37's if I trimmed my fenders. Chop the front bumper and there's no rubbing.

Attachments

• 1432757002983.jpg
    1432757002983.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 159
I am running an Evo enforcer 3" kit with rancho 9000 set at 3 in the front and 4 in the back. Super nice ride with my 35x12.5x18 Toyo MT's. Plenty of clearance for 37's if I trimmed my fenders. Chop the front bumper and there's no rubbing.

x2 ^^^^ there are a ton of people on here running a 3" evo enforcer, me included. And with good reason. Lots of rancho 9000's, kings, bilsteins, fox.

Dirt Foot

Doing a little flex test on the table. Need to relocate my front lower shocks so they don't hit the frame. I maxed out at 17" at the same time front and rear. Score was a 680.

Attachments

• 1432757851985.jpg
    1432757851985.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 145

jkwebbie

Love the clearance with 35's and cut fenders. Just gotta get enough balls to cut my own.

The worst thing you can do is mess up on something that you technically didn't pay extra for. Plus there's tons of guys out the selling/giving away stock fenders for basically nothing. So its not like it'll be a big costly mistake if you do mess up. That's how I look at it anyway :thumbup:

mrjosh

Definitely wait and get exactly what you want. There are so many different lifts from many reputable companies that I'm sure you will find one you like. If I could go back and do it over, I would have listened to all of the advice on the forum. I would have gone with Clayton, Rockkrawler or Evo from the beginning. I didn't really know what I wanted and spent money on different lifts, wheels, tires only to have a pile of parts that I no longer needed. Although it has been a great learning experience. Here is what started out as a Teraflex BB and transitioned to Clayton 3.5" springs w/37s. Just waiting for the D30 to die so I can upgrade :D
11272084_1082771545070709_1646143520_n.jpg

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

IMG_5525.jpg IMG_0404.jpg

Specs in signature. I have around 10" of travel. Don't remember the exact measurement. Performs great until I go with the coil over kit.

Wanted to add that just the leveling kit from Northridge4x4 is $230...On my sport without the tow package the front springs matched nicely with my rear springs improving the ride quite a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom