Which oil do you like?

Macman1138

Sorry, I edited my reply above, but I guess you responded before I was done. There is nothing really wrong with RP. Your motor won't blow up (although there have been many cases of motors no running right, having exaggerated valvetrain noises, etc on many vehicles) but again...everywhere I see it sold, it costs more than Mobil1 and it is an inferior oil. So that begs the question...why run a more expensive product that performs worse than a cheaper product?

I must say that your write up against RP is the first I have seen. I do wonder though, about how the tests were run and such, if there is a wide enough JND (just noticeable difference) to call RP "inferior." Their filter is top notch.
I agree that RP is too damn high.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I use Red Line full syn oil every 5K miles. Here in the heat of the southwest engine oil gets hammered pretty good, especially in the 3.6. Dino oil would probably hold up OK, but I just like the extra cushion Synthetics provide. Which oil do you use can get pretty emotional, but I don't think there aren't any "bad" ones on the market. The only reason I use Red Line is 'cause I ran it for years in my Harley, even as a break in oil. If it can help my bike run hard in the dez it'll probably hold up in the Jeep.:twocents:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I use Royal Purple; I think it's the best on the market though it is high as hell. I really do believe too they make the top filter on the market too.
A lot of people like Royal Purple and run it. I'm one of them.

Are you choosing to ignore cold hard reality and creating your own? Royal purple is not even in the top 40. It's a ripoff.

Macman1138

Are you choosing to ignore cold hard reality and creating your own? Royal purple is not even in the top 40. It's a ripoff.

Let's be clear; I am not thoroughly convinced by your "facts" and the testing methods you presented against the other studies I have read and looked at. I'm not ignoring them, it's just I am not convinced by one post by one guy. A lot of people recommend Royal Purple and run it, like it a lot.
Now you can call everyone foolish for that, tell them you know a thing or two. Other people might know a thing or two, perhaps three and I like to collect more data instead of being swayed by arrogant conclusions.
No need to be so snide about it either.
That's a hard core reality, bud.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Let's be clear; I am not thoroughly convinced by your "facts" and the testing methods you presented against the other studies I have read and looked at. I'm not ignoring them, it's just I am not convinced by one post by one guy. A lot of people recommend Royal Purple and run it, like. Now you can call everyone foolish for that, tell them you know a thing or two. Other people might know a thing or two, perhaps three and I like to collect more data instead of being swayed by arrogant conclusions.
No need to be so snide about it either.
That's a hard core reality, bud.

Have a nice day.

Ha, now that's comedy. Lets be REAL clear....Im not trying to convince you (or anyone) nor do I care to. I simply posted cold hard INDEPENDENT (I have nothing to do with it) information with which members can make an informed decision on a quality motor oil. Did you actually read the thread? You're acting like I have a lab in my basement and I run my own tests. These are completely independent tests, which rate RP as GARBAGE. Hell, even 1 ounce of research on the net will tell you that RP is nothing but marketing trash, filled with an unstable purple dye, that lied to customers telling them it was synthetic oil when all it was was colored dino with synthetic additives, an oil that early on, destroyed countless bike motors and many car motors, and on top of all that, priced higher than most oils on the market. You want to live in LA LA land, making up your own facts, by all means, but don't for one second try and pretend that you know what you are talking about, or have ANY form of data even CLOSE to what I have posted to back your claims.

You might want to do some reading before you try and call someone out

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1413548&page=1

Read about how RP oil destroyed turbos on Evos, Stis, etc
Look at the results...almost every car forum...Mitsubish, Nissan, Subaru, etc

https://www.google.com/#q=royal+purple+garbage

Or you can read about RPs unscrupulous claims

Royal Purple's Synthetic Oil Advertising Claims Have Been Challenged By BP Lubricants
The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus has recommended that Royal Purple, Ltd., modify or discontinue certain advertising claims for it’s synthetic motor oil.

NAD® News For Immediate Release Contact: Linda Bean 212-705-0129

BP LUBRICANTS CHALLENGES ROYAL PURPLE’S CLAIMS FOR SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL

NAD Recommends Royal Purple Modify, Discontinue Certain Claims

New York, NY – April 1, 2009 – The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus has recommended that Royal Purple, Ltd., modify or discontinue certain advertising claims for it’s synthetic motor oil.

NAD, the advertising industry’s self-regulatory forum, examined comparative performance and superiority claims in print, broadcast and Internet advertising, following a challenge by BP Lubricants.

Claims at issue included:

• “Independent university and industry tests document the performance gains of using Royal Purple. When compared to leading synthetic and conventional motor oils, Royal Purple typically:”

“Increases horsepower and torque by as much as 3%.”

“Reduces engine wear by as much as 80%.”

“Improves fuel economy by as much as 5%.”

“Fuel economy improvement up to 5% or more.”

“Reduces engine heat by as much as 10%.”

“Reductions in heat of up to 12%.”

“Reduces engine heat by as much as 10%.”

“Reduces emissions up to 20% or more.”

“Reductions in emissions of 20% or more.”

• “Unsurpassed,” “Unparalleled,” “Most Advanced.”

• “Provides Film Strength up to 400% stronger than other motor oils.”

• “Superior oxidation stability...”

• “API/ILSAC Certified.”

In its decision, NAD noted that the advertiser voluntarily agreed to discontinue the claims “most advanced,” “unsurpassed performance” and “unparalleled performance,” steps that NAD found were necessary and proper to avoid confusion in the marketplace NAD noted that it appreciated the advertiser’s participation in the NAD process, especially as a newcomer to the retail automotive industry as it branches out from industrial lubricants. Further, NAD noted that testimonials included in a wide range of auto-enthusiast publications indicate that Royal Purple’s consumers are “vocally appreciative of its synthetic purple engine oil.”

However, NAD noted, anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims, including claims related to horsepower, torque, fuel economy or engine heat. While the advertiser may quote from published articles if it provides clear and conspicuous attribution to the publisher, it may not rely on such articles to support efficacy claims for which it has no reliable independent validation.

Following its review of the non-anecdotal evidence in the record, NAD recommended that the advertiser discontinue the claims “Reduces emissions up to 20% or more.” and “Reductions in emissions of 20% or more” because the studies on which the claims were based are outdated and not consumer-relevant.

NAD recommended that the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal Purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.”

Royal Purple, in its advertiser’s statement, said it “appreciates NAD’s review of the extensive record in this matter as well as the NAD’s recognition of the difficulty the automotive industry has with accurately quantifying performance claims based on bench tests alone as they do not accurately reflect real world results.”

The company noted that, while it believes the “tests and testimonials it supplied as evidence accurately portray the benefits of using its synthetic oil in a wide variety of applications, it defers to the NAD’s position that those tests and testimonials alone are insufficient to support specific performance attribute claims in consumer advertising.”

The company noted, as well, that it has “already made changes to its advertising in accordance with the NAD recommendations and will continue to implement NAD’s recommendations and analysis in developing Royal Purple’s future advertising.”

NAD's inquiry was conducted under NAD/CARU/NARB Procedures for the Voluntary Self-Regulation of

National Advertising. Details of the initial inquiry, NAD's decision, and the advertiser's response will be

included in the next NAD/CARU Case Report.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm?x=bfmW6PM,b1cwnrQf

This was DIRECTLY on their site before the above article came out, because they were LYING to customers...they are not even a full synthetic oil. Just base dino's with added synthetic additives....but they sure don't forget to charge you like it's a premium synthetic oil. ;)

Reducing Friction Improves Performance

The primary purpose of oil is to reduce friction. Reducing friction increases horsepower and torque, and reduces fuel consumption, emissions, engine wear and heat. Royal Purple uses premium base oils with a very low coefficient of friction. Royal Purple also smoothes metal surfaces to further reduce friction. Royal Purple remains on the metal surface long after ordinary lubricants would have been squeezed out by pressure and heat. The oil layer responds to increased pressure with increased viscosity until the metal peaks (asperities) undergo deformation and flow into the low spots. Over time, the metal surface becomes extremely smooth and can even develop a mirror-like surface.

Or you can search for countless threads on countless cars that show RP significantly dropped oil pressure to the point of failure?
SNC00187.jpg

RPvsAmsoilTrend2.jpg

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html

Or an actual labtest quoted earlier
http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf

I realize the fact that RP actually scores LOWER in tests that a simple Autozone branded oil hurts, since youre paying 2x the price or more for it, but being in denial about it doesn't help anyone.

Another lab test
http://www.freeoilhelp.com/misc-ima...f Amsoil and Royal Purple and Other oils.pdf

Bottom line, its your rig, run whatever you want. The members here can decide for themselves between the information I've provided, and the OPINION you provided.

Last edited:

mrmike

I use Amsoil in my motorcycle, Jeep, Tundra, Corolla and Mazda3.
In the Jeep I change it at 15k intervals, or one year, along with the filter.
My Corolla is just shy of 190k miles. It gets a filter every ~7000 miles and fresh oil every 20k.
The motorcycle gets fresh oil and filter every 10 hours, but that is a different beast.

I can attest to amsoil being a good product. My buddy has ran it in his bronco per-runner for about 100,000 miles. Hard use. And the motor is at 200,000 total.

He has been recently testing Justice Bros additives. Did a bearing load test with cheap oil and the additive and it did as well as the amsoil race oil. I'm leaning this direction. Only adds 20 bucks to an oil change and supposedly is good for 10k miles.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I can attest to amsoil being a good product. My buddy has ran it in his bronco per-runner for about 100,000 miles. Hard use. And the motor is at 200,000 total.

He has been recently testing Justice Bros additives. Did a bearing load test with cheap oil and the additive and it did as well as the amsoil race oil. I'm leaning this direction. Only adds 20 bucks to an oil change and supposedly is good for 10k miles.

The only reason I don't run amsoil in my regular vehicles (not track cars) is that I can't get it locally, so I run Mobil1. If all my vehicles took the same weight, I'd buy Amsoil in bulk but all of them are different, so I use Mobil1 out of convenience (always on sale at Costco and Walmart.)

Macman1138

Ha, now that's comedy. Lets be REAL clear....Im not trying to convince you (or anyone) nor do I care to. I simply posted cold hard INDEPENDENT (I have nothing to do with it) information with which members can make an informed decision on a quality motor oil. Did you actually read the thread? You're acting like I have a lab in my basement and I run my own tests. These are completely independent tests, which rate RP as GARBAGE. Hell, even 1 ounce of research on the net will tell you that RP is nothing but marketing trash, filled with an unstable purple dye, that lied to customers telling them it was synthetic oil when all it was was colored dino with synthetic additives, an oil that early on, destroyed countless bike motors and many car motors, and on top of all that, priced higher than most oils on the market. You want to live in LA LA land, making up your own facts, by all means, but don't for one second try and pretend that you know what you are talking about, or have ANY form of data even CLOSE to what I have posted to back your claims.

You might want to do some reading before you try and call someone out

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1413548&page=1

Read about how RP oil destroyed turbos on Evos, Stis, etc
Look at the results...almost every car forum...Mitsubish, Nissan, Subaru, etc

https://www.google.com/#q=royal+purple+garbage

Or you can read about RPs unscrupulous claims

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm?x=bfmW6PM,b1cwnrQf

This was DIRECTLY on their site before the above article came out, because they were LYING to customers...they are not even a full synthetic oil. Just base dino's with added synthetic additives....but they sure don't forget to charge you like it's a premium synthetic oil. ;)

Or you can search for countless threads on countless cars that show RP significantly dropped oil pressure to the point of failure?
SNC00187.jpg

RPvsAmsoilTrend2.jpg

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html

Or an actual labtest quoted earlier
http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf

I realize the fact that RP actually scores LOWER in tests that a simple Autozone branded oil hurts, since youre paying 2x the price or more for it, but being in denial about it doesn't help anyone.

Another lab test
http://www.freeoilhelp.com/misc-ima...f Amsoil and Royal Purple and Other oils.pdf

Bottom line, its your rig, run whatever you want. The members here can decide for themselves between the information I've provided, and the OPINION you provided.

I suggest you lay your "facts" to the executives at Royal Purple instead of launching an attack against a fellow Member over a matter such as this. I will send them your post.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom