Which Or Fab carrier should I get?

daltexjeeper

I didn't get the numbers but here's what he told me ;

"Departure angle is affected but not by much. If you think you will never use the cans go can-less. If you want cans even someday go Rotopax."

So I guess departure angle on the rotopax is nothing to be worried about !

I am in the exact same boat as you. Torn between the two carriers. Here is an image I found which shows a tape measure of the rotopax version: http://www.jk-forum.com/sponsoring-...orum-24/fab-rotopax-carrier-pre-order-176556/

Based on the thickness of the Rotopax container itself, I would say the non-can version would probably sit about 3.5 - 4" closer to the body. Having the ability to carrier fuel or water may be worth it, but I'm still not sure I would ever use them.

JAGS

Hooked
I didn't get the numbers but here's what he told me ;

"Departure angle is affected but not by much. If you think you will never use the cans go can-less. If you want cans even someday go Rotopax."

So I guess departure angle on the rotopax is nothing to be worried about !

I am in the exact same boat as you. Torn between the two carriers. Here is an image I found which shows a tape measure of the rotopax version: http://www.jk-forum.com/sponsoring-...orum-24/fab-rotopax-carrier-pre-order-176556/

Based on the thickness of the Rotopax container itself, I would say the non-can version would probably sit about 3.5 - 4" closer to the body. Having the ability to carrier fuel or water may be worth it, but I'm still not sure I would ever use them.

I'm thinking/saying the same things to myself as both of you. I do have a little time to decide. I'll certainly be taking all this into consideration. Thanks for the info Tranq and Daltex. :thumb:

Tranquillity

Well, just thinking about this. There's no lock on this carrier, and some guys says they put a padlock or chain to keep the tire safe. I doubt that will be enough to let me sleep at night. Anyone got something creative ?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well, just thinking about this. There's no lock on this carrier, and some guys says they put a padlock or chain to keep the tire safe. I doubt that will be enough to let me sleep at night. Anyone got something creative ?

What's the difference between it sitting on your stock carrier with locking nuts and it sitting on the new carrier then the same way? Either way the tire is exposed

Sent from my iPhone

Tranquillity

What's the difference between it sitting on your stock carrier with locking nuts and it sitting on the new carrier then the same way? Either way the tire is exposed

Sent from my iPhone

It's not sitting with locking nuts on the carrier. It's only the T bar that "lock" the spare. There is only two small holes that you can pass a padlock or a wire to prevent someone to get away with your spare.

SAM_1063_zpse4983d59.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It's not sitting with locking nuts on the carrier. It's only the T bar that "lock" the spare. There is only two small holes that you can pass a padlock or a wire to prevent someone to get away with your spare.

View attachment 43437

Ahh ok was unaware of this. Hmm well mine just got shipped to me tonight (ordered it yesterday) when I finally get around to looking at it closer I'm sure I can find a way around that

Sent from my iPhone

JAGS

Hooked
I don't believe many other aftermarket carriers offer much more security protection. At least not ones in this same bumperless class. Two padlocks is twice the security I have now. 😉🔒🔐

Tranquillity

I don't believe many other aftermarket carriers offer much more security protection. At least not ones in this same bumperless class. Two padlocks is twice the security I have now. 

Yes you're right. I've searched the last two hours or so and came to that conclusion.

There's always the EVO carrier that seems to mount the spare on studs which would be perfect plus the bad ass look but we're talking 1k more than the Or fab. But still, bad ass look even in 35" :hmm:

I guess it's never that simple, going to think about my move a couple more days :icon_crazy:

GCM 2

Look guys, if someone wants to steal something off your jeep they will. Many of us don't run tops or just run a soft top, compared to the average vehicle that's insane in most people's view when it comes to security. Putting a lock on something is only keeping an honest man honest. Locks do not stop criminals. What you can do, is just enough to make someone pass on putting forth the effort and move on to the next target. When I ran my old carrier I did have a lock on the spare

You can see the huge krypton (or gorilla) cable lock threaded through the rim, the T-bar and the carrier. The lock portion and excess cable is tucked inside the back space area of the wheel

image-4138387822.jpg

image-2005200984.jpg

Also, every OR Fab carrier comes with a locking closing assembly to keep it from being opened. I chose to not run a lock on it and only used a hitch pin to keep the tension clamp secured. Hopefully you can see it in the photo.

image-742220973.jpg

JK's JK

Banned
GCM 2,

How did you like the carrier? Was it a problem hitting the ground or the bumps going into the rear door?

GCM 2

GCM 2,

How did you like the carrier? Was it a problem hitting the ground or the bumps going into the rear door?

For kind of a spindly looking carrier (I always wanted it to look more beefy :icon_crazy:) the carrier was awesome and trouble free. In fact I can't believe it never failed on me while carrying a 40" spare and doing lots of crazy wheeling with it. It's a really nice piece of equipment that does everything you could ask of it.

JAGS

Hooked
For kind of a spindly looking carrier (I always wanted it to look more beefy :icon_crazy:) the carrier was awesome and trouble free. In fact I can't believe it never failed on me while carrying a 40" spare and doing lots of crazy wheeling with it. It's a really nice piece of equipment that does everything you could ask of it.

Oh man. You are such an OrFab fan boy. Lmao. 😂😂😉

Top Bottom