WHICH Programmer is right for me?

bowtieman55

Our '09 2-door has 3.21 gears and an automatic. it came with 225s (29") from the factory and I've installed take-off 255s (32"). I'm over the transmission searching for gears and the throttle lag, so I'm looking to purchase a programmer. My buddy recommends the Superchips FlashPaq, but I want some other REAL-WORLD experiences before laying out any cash. I'll be going to 35s once I can afford a regear...

I'm checking this out, as well.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/154-0911-jeep-jk-wrangler-tuner-shootout/

Last edited:
I appreciate the input. I kinda forgot to mention that I'd like a "why this programmer is better" than that programmer.

The Procal is inexpensive & can reprogram for the following:

Tire size
Gear ratio change
Transfer case replacement
TPMS change or removal
Daytime running lights
Increased idle (for winching)

If you change tire size, your shift points are off, because the speedometer is off, and performance suffers. The Procal fixes that.

The Procal is inexpensive & can reprogram for the following:

Tire size
Gear ratio change
Transfer case replacement
TPMS change or removal
Daytime running lights
Increased idle (for winching)

If you change tire size, your shift points are off, because the speedometer is off, and performance suffers. The Procal fixes that.

^ THAT'S wtf I'm talking about :D Thank you, brother.

Another vote for the AEV ProCal. I've ran the Diablosport Predator, the Superchips FlashCal, and the Hypertech programmer. All three had some sort of issue that effected drivability in a negative way. I think it's Diablosport that released an update that deleted the ability to adjust TPMS parameters. The AEV ProCal has always been problem free for me. Plus the AEV is the cheapest out there.

I got the Superchips Flashcal, I think it does everything like what the AEV Procal does but it also can read trouble codes.

I didnt feel like doing anything to pump up power or torque, its $200 more for the Flashpac compared to the Flashcal for horsepower you wont really feel per say. Money would be best spent towards gears but you will need something to change the gear ratio and the tire size. The AEV Procal or the Superchips Flashcal, either one will do the job.

I got the Superchips Flashcal, I think it does everything like what the AEV Procal does but it also can read trouble codes.

I didnt feel like doing anything to pump up power or torque, its $200 more for the Flashpac compared to the Flashcal for horsepower you wont really feel per say. Money would be best spent towards gears but you will need something to change the gear ratio and the tire size. The AEV Procal or the Superchips Flashcal, either one will do the job.

^^^ That's a good answer, too.

I run the superchips traildash, haven't had any issues with it, only thing I have to complain is they first offered option for daytime running lights which I turned on then I updated it and they removed the option so now my daytime running lights are stuck on, but I love being able to run 8 different gauges on the screen at all times, it really helps My auto trans when I bumped up to 35s and 5.13 gears. The performance tune made the shift more firm. The biggest improvement was with the throttle sensitivity, I was used to drive a Tj with the 4.0 which had a super sensitive throttle so when I switched to the 3.8 it was awful now it's a lot better. If I didn't have a rubicon (you can lock and unlock diffs separately from the screen on the traildash) I probably wouldn't have payed the extra money just to run gauges I probably would've gotten the AEV procal. Being able to lock the front locker individually from the rear helps a lot.

I currently run with the AEV procal, as the only chage that needed done was for tire size, and it has been great, but now that I'm about to regear w/arb lockers, add banks ram air and monster exhaust w/ ho catalytic converter among other changes coming within the next 3 weeks, I have chosen to upgrade to the Superchips TD2 to get the most out of my setup including TPMS, shift points and (as stated previously ) the ability to control the lockers seprately.

The latest version of the ProCal can also detect trouble codes. not looking to find the box but it does. It also has the steering wheel centering thing on it but I haven't messed with that yet.

So even as simplistic as it seems, the Procal IS easy to use? Comparing it to the FlashPaq/Flashcal, the actual screen seems mighty nice.

So even as simplistic as it seems, the Procal IS easy to use? Comparing it to the FlashPaq/Flashcal, the actual screen seems mighty nice.

You set the dip switches to whats being programmed, plug it in and key on with out starting the engine and the Jeep honks to let you know its been calibrated. Move on to the next one and do the same thing.

Top Bottom