Which winch?

Does that mean ALL China winches will fail like this? Nope. Does this mean that an American winch will NEVER fail? Nope. I wouldn't even begin to suggest as much.
^This entire thread summarized in a paragraph.

Eddie, don’t know if you missed it earlier, but was wondering if you’ve heard more about the come up winch you posted from sema?

Zstairlessone

... Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't trust just any winch to have Cindy or I do something like that. ...

This!! ^^

Think about how you wheel and what you need from a winch then relate that to flying. If you just don’t give a shit get cheap stuff and get over it, if you care about yourself, people that wheel with you and your Jeep then buy the stuff that gives you the best chance of getting back.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

My new to me Jeep came with a Warn VR 10

I have always had Warn, with a M 6000, M 8000, and an XD 9000. They were all great, so I was excited to see this one, until I heard about the "made in China" part.

It seems to pull in ok, but won't reverse. It has a dead short, kills power to everything else when you hit reverse.

I just popped the top to troubleshoot it. Nothing jumps out, so now to start with an Ohm meter.

I will update this when I figure it out.

If anyone has experienced this, let me know what it was

It's hard to tell I. The picture but is this cable pinched? Almost looks like it might be, and could be rubbed through on the case. View attachment 299518

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So to update this, it took a while to get to because work got in the way, but when I started to dig into it I pulled the boots back and found the wires hooked up wrong to the motor🤯

They are color coded for idiots to be able to get right, but the green and yellow we're reversed.

I put the cables on the correct posts, and it works fine now.

My concern now is that the brake still holds. I think the way it was wired the brake was not releasing on power in. That also would explain why it seemed weak for a 10K winch.

I only used it once, to respool the cable, and found out it had no reverse after I had pulled it out. (I did check power in before unspooling the cable)

What I don't know is how long the original owner used it this way. It has been used, the fairlead and the connecting rods show a good amount of cable wear.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180429_182618_mini.jpg
    MVIMG_20180429_182618_mini.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 143

wanderer

what happened to wanderer? Lost in the woods stuck with a broken winch:D

been working My ass off 7 days a week . Here is my story. I have had several winches all warn ( my old 12 k warn was My favorite) and 1 smitty built none have ever failed I used the smitty built on dozens of pulls never had a probelm. I always thought warn products were the absolute best. so I bought them whenever I could.

I had a warn bumper on my jku within about 2- 4 years the powder coating was peeling off in big sheets like 6 inches by 6 inches. So I called warn sent in pictures and there response was "oh you live in so cal by the beach it is the salt air that does it."

First I am 5 miles away from the beach not exactly salt air second none of the other stuff same age, some cheap,- some not, peeled. Warn treated me like crap. Bottom line very poor customer service. = not any more of my money.... as for the winches I read somewhere that the ownership at warn changed and quality control went down the tubes (don't know if it is true or not so i tookit woth a grain of salt..) ( don't ask me where I can't remember my own name half the dam time). Finally i read in detail the 4 wheel drive winch shoot out which warn won. But shouldn't have. I mean for goodness sakes who scores a winches reliability on the packaging? and how does a winch win a shoot out if it doesn't even finish?

so just looking at those factors I decided to see what else is out there. I am liking the super winch 10 exp. I am not sure it will work with the new JL steel bumpers. I hear the comeup winhes are very good too. so iwas looking for some one that will stand behind their prodcuts. and i willpay more an american made product if it is good.

Hey this is the internet eberyone has their :crazyeyes: and I thought I would ask. Didn't meat to start a war. :eek:

BY The way MY JLU rubicon is done and I am picking it up next week in idaho gonna do some exploring fly fishing gold hunting and take a little vacation on th way back.. :driving:

fiend

Caught the Bug
been working My ass off 7 days a week . Here is my story. I have had several winches all warn ( my old 12 k warn was My favorite) and 1 smitty built none have ever failed I used the smitty built on dozens of pulls never had a probelm. I always thought warn products were the absolute best. so I bought them whenever I could.

I had a warn bumper on my jku within about 2- 4 years the powder coating was peeling off in big sheets like 6 inches by 6 inches. So I called warn sent in pictures and there response was "oh you live in so cal by the beach it is the salt air that does it."

First I am 5 miles away from the beach not exactly salt air second none of the other stuff same age, some cheap,- some not, peeled. Warn treated me like crap. Bottom line very poor customer service. = not any more of my money.... as for the winches I read somewhere that the ownership at warn changed and quality control went down the tubes (don't know if it is true or not so i tookit woth a grain of salt..) ( don't ask me where I can't remember my own name half the dam time). Finally i read in detail the 4 wheel drive winch shoot out which warn won. But shouldn't have. I mean for goodness sakes who scores a winches reliability on the packaging? and how does a winch win a shoot out if it doesn't even finish?

so just looking at those factors I decided to see what else is out there. I am liking the super winch 10 exp. I am not sure it will work with the new JL steel bumpers. I hear the comeup winhes are very good too. so iwas looking for some one that will stand behind their prodcuts. and i willpay more an american made product if it is good.

Hey this is the internet eberyone has their :crazyeyes: and I thought I would ask. Didn't meat to start a war. :eek:

BY The way MY JLU rubicon is done and I am picking it up next week in idaho gonna do some exploring fly fishing gold hunting and take a little vacation on th way back.. :driving:

I think Ramsey winches are US made. My Mile Marker hydraulic is us made too. I do t know about their electric winches though.

Top Bottom