Whine after regearing

CalSgt

Hooked
I'm not sure what they did today. My original invoice has the master kits on it but today felt more like a repair. I was in the waiting room for about four hours. These guys build axles for a living, and he looked me right in the eyes, I gotta be honest I did not detect a lie. He said they pulled a whole new gear with different dates so I'd assume that they'd have to pull full rebuild kit too because wouldn't the bearings and everything get trashed getting removed?
A gear shop should have the correct tools to pull bearings without ruining them, like the Yukon clamshell puller. Even then they can get screwed up. I probably wouldn’t have used another set of bearings for warranty work being done this soon. I would have just inspected them for over heating, discoloration or visible damage.

He said they pulled a whole new gear with different dates so I'd assume that they'd have to pull full rebuild kit too because wouldn't the bearings and everything get trashed getting removed?
They would only have to pull the pinion bearings (races stay in the housing) so they are most likely the same ones which is fine but any new gear set could have small differences in tolerance from the other so always good to check which I’m sure they did.
A gear shop should have the correct tools to pull bearings without ruining them, like the Yukon clamshell puller. Even then they can get screwed up. I probably wouldn’t have used another set of bearings for warranty work being done this soon. I would have just inspected them for over heating, discoloration or visible damage.
We use the same puller and though they work great, they aren’t perfect and sometimes cause damage to the cage, especially on odd sized bearings. That would of course mean replacing it. But yes on inspecting them for hot spots, for sure.

ScoobyCarolanNC

They would only have to pull the pinion bearings (races stay in the housing) so they are most likely the same ones which is fine but any new gear set could have small differences in tolerance from the other so always good to check which I’m sure they did.

We use the same puller and though they work great, they aren’t perfect and sometimes cause damage to the cage, especially on odd sized bearings. That would of course mean replacing it. But yes on inspecting them for hot spots, for sure.
awesome info. I called a local shop that does race car drivetrains and spoke to the owner. He referred me back to my shop and even dropped the shop managers name. I think that with what you guys explained and he told me about ECGS I just need to let them check it again. Is there any direction I should push them in like “more preload” or “less shim”?

awesome info. I called a local shop that does race car drivetrains and spoke to the owner. He referred me back to my shop and even dropped the shop managers name. I think that with what you guys explained and he told me about ECGS I just need to let them check it again. Is there any direction I should push them in like “more preload” or “less shim”?
The shop is willing to work with you so see what there plan is. I’m sure they will take a look at things again and get it fixed. No need to add or change shims unless it needs it.

CalSgt

Hooked
The shop is willing to work with you so see what there plan is. I’m sure they will take a look at things again and get it fixed. No need to add or change shims unless it needs it.
^^^^ this

I’m confident in my ability to set up a differential, but would never make suggestions to a professional about how they should correct an issue. Especially if they acknowledge the problem and are trying to correct it.

It’s kinda like this shop rates poster, the most hated customer in any profession is the one who knows your job better than you do…

IMG_9948.jpeg

ScoobyCarolanNC

Hey y’all! Wanted to update you on the journey here. I was originally hesitant to name the shop since I couldn’t prove if they had done something wrong or what. Ultimately they’ve invested a ton of their time (12 extra hours) & money (some custom work explained below) into fixing my issues and I left this am with a great outcome and $0.00 extra dollars spent. They’re called East Coast Gear Supply here in North Carolina. I can’t recommend them enough after this.

So what was the ultimate issue? My driveshaft & pinion angle along with the new small 4.88 pinion caused a harmonic in the system. I had a small spacer on the carrier bearing that came with my lift already. After installing a 3rd set of gears, now from revolution and not spicer, he said it was better but not great. They added stacks of washers to push my driveshaft down and tested a few combos. Then they literally made a new spacer and added new hardware to get my driveshaft at a better angle. It’s still not perfect and they recommended I get adjustable rear UCAs to adjust the pinion angle better, but for now the harmonic is 99% gone. You can ever so faintly hear it if you know what to listen for over my M/Ts.

Ultimately, I’m super happy. They stood 100% behind their work and went way above and beyond. I have a 2 year warranty that I know they’ll stand behind and hopefully if this happens to anyone else they can try this as an easy fix.

I can already feel some folks calling BS on this. While it was driving me nuts and I was waiting to get back in the shop I found this excellent article that explains driveline harmonics on a hot rod page.

Hey y’all! Wanted to update you on the journey here. I was originally hesitant to name the shop since I couldn’t prove if they had done something wrong or what. Ultimately they’ve invested a ton of their time (12 extra hours) & money (some custom work explained below) into fixing my issues and I left this am with a great outcome and $0.00 extra dollars spent. They’re called East Coast Gear Supply here in North Carolina. I can’t recommend them enough after this.

So what was the ultimate issue? My driveshaft & pinion angle along with the new small 4.88 pinion caused a harmonic in the system. I had a small spacer on the carrier bearing that came with my lift already. After installing a 3rd set of gears, now from revolution and not spicer, he said it was better but not great. They added stacks of washers to push my driveshaft down and tested a few combos. Then they literally made a new spacer and added new hardware to get my driveshaft at a better angle. It’s still not perfect and they recommended I get adjustable rear UCAs to adjust the pinion angle better, but for now the harmonic is 99% gone. You can ever so faintly hear it if you know what to listen for over my M/Ts.

Ultimately, I’m super happy. They stood 100% behind their work and went way above and beyond. I have a 2 year warranty that I know they’ll stand behind and hopefully if this happens to anyone else they can try this as an easy fix.

I can already feel some folks calling BS on this. While it was driving me nuts and I was waiting to get back in the shop I found this excellent article that explains driveline harmonics on a hot rod page.
It is great that you got this figured out, and the shop was dedicated to your satisfaction.

jeeeep

Hooked

wow! so that may have been the issue all along.
Good service to stick with it and figure it out. (y)

Glad you got this resolved. And yea ECGS axles are beautiful…

Top Bottom