Whiskey of the Day

MTG

Caught the Bug
First attempt at making clear ice was a complete failure. However, considering I did not remember attempting to make clear ice I’d say I did pretty good.

IMG_4370.jpg

For those keeping score at home, the first attempt at finishing the Whistle Pig 12 year bottle is well on track.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
First attempt at making clear ice was a complete failure. However, considering I did not remember attempting to make clear ice I’d say I did pretty good.

View attachment 289505

For those keeping score at home, the first attempt at finishing the Whistle Pig 12 year bottle is well on track.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just looked up how to make clear ice. PITA. I'll just use the purified water like I have been and get mostly clear ice. [emoji6]

MTG

Caught the Bug
Just looked up how to make clear ice. PITA. I'll just use the purified water like I have been and get mostly clear ice. [emoji6]

I'm pretty sure I thought I nailed it at the time. :crazyeyes: LOL!

Our water is filtered and softened, but we are considering getting a whole house reverse osmosis system.

I'll perfect the clear ice method someday...someday!

JAGS

Hooked
I'm pretty sure I thought I nailed it at the time. :crazyeyes: LOL!

Our water is filtered and softened, but we are considering getting a whole house reverse osmosis system.

I'll perfect the clear ice method someday...someday!

You have to twice boil purified/distilled water.

Your soft water still has minerals in it. So it would never truly be clear. Maybe just get frosted glasses. 🥃

MTG

Caught the Bug
You have to twice boil purified/distilled water.

Your soft water still has minerals in it. So it would never truly be clear. Maybe just get frosted glasses. 🥃

I'm not twice boiling anything. I love minerals, I could just do without the chlorine. :yup: Our county has some pretty high quality tap water actually.

However, I'm pretty sure you're downstream of Las Vegas. You should think of me peeing every time you drink from the tap. You're welcome for that visual. ;)

JAGS

Hooked
I'm not twice boiling anything. I love minerals, I could just do without the chlorine. :yup: Our county has some pretty high quality tap water actually.

However, I'm pretty sure you're downstream of Las Vegas. You should think of me peeing every time you drink from the tap. You're welcome for that visual. ;)

Exactly. When I read you had to boil it twice I was like F that. I made some with distilled water and they were good enough for me.

We don't drink our tap water. That said, tap water in da hills is processed, so probably ok. [emoji106] I'll get turned on next time I take a shower though. Your welcome for that visual. Ha ha.

SDG

Caught the Bug
There are a few liquor stores that have different varieties of pappy pretty regularly. Unfortunately my bank account does not often let me partake haha. I will shoot up a pic next time. The markup down here is retarded.

I believe the last bottle I got of that was for a good friends bday and it was about $550. Good friends are hard to come by.

Last edited:
It’s not the purity of water that matters. The process and speed of which it freezes is the name of the game.

And I feel your pain SDG. It’s disgusting that liquor stores are marking up like that.

MTG

Caught the Bug
There are a few liquor stores that have different varieties of pappy pretty regularly. Unfortunately my bank account does not often let me partake haha. I will shoot up a pic next time. The markup down here is retarded.

I believe the last bottle I got of that was for a good friends bday and it was about $550. Good friends are hard to come by.

Yep. It's the scarcity that drives the price. I'll sell this one for less than $550, but if there are no interested collectors/buyers...I'll just enjoy the bottle with some friends one day. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
It’s not the purity of water that matters. The process and speed of which it freezes is the name of the game.

This! I tried the double container and still no luck. I was close and perhaps a sober attempt will yield more success?

Such a #firstworldproblem

SDG

Caught the Bug
https://m.wikihow.com/Make-Clear-Ice

This is all just way too complicated. Lol. I'll take mostly clear and a frosted glass for the win.
LoL... that is quite a process!

I would just drink it neat, and save the clear ice for fancy cocktails!

If you really want to geek out, get an N2 or He tank, and bubble the gas into the water container with a cannula, do this for about 10 min. The inert gas will remove dissolved oxygen and air (this is a trick we used to use in the lab for high pressure liquid chromatography). You could also apply a high vacuum to the water. All of these techniques require either expensive equipment or gas haha.

JAGS

Hooked
LoL... that is quite a process!

I would just drink it neat, and save the clear ice for fancy cocktails!.

[emoji23] No shit!!

If you really want to geek out, get an N2 or He tank, and bubble the gas into the water container with a cannula, do this for about 10 min. The inert gas will remove dissolved oxygen and air (this is a trick we used to use in the lab for high pressure liquid chromatography). You could also apply a high vacuum to the water. All of these techniques require either expensive equipment or gas haha.

Wtf did I just read. Lol. Sounded like doc from back to the future. Crazy scientist. [emoji33]

MTG

Caught the Bug
Could never go wrong with Blantons. Looks like you kinda like it too. lol

LOL. It's probably my favorite. While Total Wine can't seem to get it, the grocery store down the street seems to always have a bottle. "limit one per customer"

I didn't show the duplicate tops on purpose. ;)

TheGrendel

from last thursday. :wings:

I0ZZRCD.jpg

Top Bottom