Who do you use for Insurance on your highly modified rig?

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Been with Usaa for 20+ years and have never considered changing, my TJ got broke into and they busted my center console, when I told them I wanted to replace it with a Tuffy box they said "whatever you want", my Subaru got pummeled in a hail storm (9k in damage) they sent the adjuster to the airport in Wichita to do the inspection while I was home in Pa. Could probably find cheaper rates but not better service.

ClarksAdventures

I with USAA, very easy to work with. I sent them my receipts quick and easy

You sent them your receipts? I just called them as I have USAA as well, and they said 5k was their cap. A lift winch and wheels caps that one out.

I'd hate to have to switch, but I plan on doing far more than 5k to my rig,
And don't want to be stuck with a bill in the event of a claim.

ClarksAdventures

I would switch! Modified rigs are the ones that are targeted for theft!

My thought exactly. I love USAA, they been amazing over the years. But they acted dumbfounded when I asked to insure my mods.

What do people do that have axles, body armor, tires, lift, winch, superchargers, etc do?

StrizzyChris

Ask them how they insure rat rods and custom vehicles. The agent may need a little coaching to find you the right policy. They exist, but the agent probably had their mind (and computer possibly) locked in on how to adjust a Jeep policy. Maybe a little bulb will turn on in his head that it is possible, just not how they were trying to set it up.

Mine is under a "highly modified vehicle" policy and the only thing that is Jeep about the policy is the description and VIN associated with the account.

ClarksAdventures

Ask them how they insure rat rods and custom vehicles. The agent may need a little coaching to find you the right policy. They exist, but the agent probably had their mind (and computer possibly) locked in on how to adjust a Jeep policy. Maybe a little bulb will turn on in his head that it is possible, just not how they were trying to set it up.

Mine is under a "highly modified vehicle" policy and the only thing that is Jeep about the policy is the description and VIN associated with the account.

Did they place any restrictions on you like mileage, storage options, or things like that?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I use State Farm for all my modified rigs. They ask me to keep receipts and will pay for the replacement cost of the vehicle and modifications if there is a loss. This has been a topic on other cars and other forums. My agent even called the underwriter to validate. I found State Farm to be slightly more expensive than some other options, but they have always allowed me to use the shop of my choice and Ive never had an issue collecting payment nearly immediately when I had a loss.

hasten3

I have Farmers on my 2014 and 2015 JKU's and just sent them a list of my mods and the amount, for $9820 mods on my 2015 my premium went up $16 every 6 months.

Mdrnizd

I use State Farm for all my modified rigs. They ask me to keep receipts and will pay for the replacement cost of the vehicle and modifications if there is a loss. This has been a topic on other cars and other forums. My agent even called the underwriter to validate. I found State Farm to be slightly more expensive than some other options, but they have always allowed me to use the shop of my choice and Ive never had an issue collecting payment nearly immediately when I had a loss.

I guess I'm going to have to call another State Farm Agency. I called them today and they called underwriting for me and they said they will not cover a vehicle like this for me than MSRP. They told me that I could send in my receipts if I have a claim but there is no guarantee because it would be at the sole discretion of the adjuster. The State Farm agent was rather shocked at their description of how they handle it. They will also not a do a "stated value" policy. Once you get into a stated value policy they want to limit your coverage. I have a 1939 Chevrolet Couple and that is how the policy is on it. I will call another agency tomorrow and see if I get a different answer.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I guess I'm going to have to call another State Farm Agency. I called them today and they called underwriting for me and they said they will not cover a vehicle like this for me than MSRP. They told me that I could send in my receipts if I have a claim but there is no guarantee because it would be at the sole discretion of the adjuster. The State Farm agent was rather shocked at their description of how they handle it. They will also not a do a "stated value" policy. Once you get into a stated value policy they want to limit your coverage. I have a 1939 Chevrolet Couple and that is how the policy is on it. I will call another agency tomorrow and see if I get a different answer.

Im pretty shocked at your experience as well. i had three agents when I lived in different areas of California and have had one agent I have been working with in Texas. Though there was some different in state to state laws, the way they treated modified vehicles has been the same per all my agents. Keep us posted on what you find.

Dean454

After reading about issues with All State I called my agent. He is going to insure my jeep for the amount I give him. So if you are with All State call your agent and find out if they will accommodate a modified value

Mdrnizd

I did not get to call any other agents today, but hopefully will tomorrow. I will definitely keep you all posted.

rob_p

I'm currently shopping my insurance and SafeCo is offering me $5k coverage, conversely Met Life doesn't have any coverage.

This is something I've had on my "to-do" list for some time but I have yet to take care of it.

I am currently with German Mutual, they wanted to take the "provide receipts" route, but this leaves no value in the things I have fabricated and installation.

I would like to find a decent appraisal place or person that focused on off-road rigs because when I made calls to simply proclaim a value I was hitting road blocks at every turn.

Top Bottom