Who is good with conputers?

JKBANDIT55

So I have a MacBook Pro I bought new from Apple in 2011. It has always ran perfect the whole time I had it. Last night I got the software update icon that pops up every time apple puts out new software. Sooooo... I click to update. Update completes after a few minutes and restarts the laptop like it always does. I noticed after the update my lap tops fan (i think that was the sound) was running full speed and non stop. Well I only ended up using the lap top for about 10 minutes before I shut It down at work. Got home powered up the lap top to check the forum and about 10 seconds after load up (fan running full speed again) computer shuts off. Turn it back on and still fan starts going and then shuts up just a few seconds after load up...

So I have tried several times to start it up and same thing happens.

Anyone know what the problem could be? My warranty with apple was up after one year so I know that isn't going to help. Any info would be great!

Thanks

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Is there a disk in the cd drive? Sometimes my computer goes all haywire with a disk in the drive.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Is there a disk in the cd drive? Sometimes my computer goes all haywire with a disk in the drive.

Yes this, if that doesn't work re-install the previous version of OS the new one may be glitchy. What exactly did it update?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My fan gets loud if I am running a lot of programs at once but it's like 6 years old. Other then that it still runs really fast which is good. :thumb:

JKBANDIT55

Yes this, if that doesn't work re-install the previous version of OS the new one may be glitchy. What exactly did it update?

Nothing in the CD drive. I don't think I can try to re-install the new version of OS. My laptop won't stay on longer than 10 seconds after start up lol. I might have to take it to the local computer dude.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Yeah, thats a hardware failure somewhere. (Obviously) could just be the battery, but Im not that savy with puters so I wont start blowin smoke.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info. I just now tried to boot to recovery disk and it still would just shut off... Lol damn Mac..

When you put the CD in you need to hold C down while the computer boots so it knows to boot to the CD. There are also some other key combos you can do to run a hardware test.

You should be able to boot with the Apple CD regardless of a software issue with the operating system because the CD loads it's own small operating system to the computer memory. Once you have booted to the CD run the permissions check and hard disk check.

If it is a hardware issue then you may have to take it back to your local apple store. Do you have apple care for it?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1533

This page has some useful info. If you can't get the CD to work there is a key punch to run a hardware diagnostic on that link above.

One thing to note is even if your computer won't boot you most likely can still retrieve data off your hard drive so don't wipe the hard drive out. Worst case is you can pull the hard drive out and put it in a USB hard drive enclosure, connect it to another mac or pc and grab your data files.

Good luck!

my_jk

It could just be dirty I have had several computers do that, but they are in a wood shop all day. Or if your running a lot of programs at once and your computer is full of memory it can start doing it.

Paws

Take it to apple and explain to them what the issue is and that you are out of warranty. They are pretty cool there most the time and may help you out without having to spend a dime other then your time . You might need an appointment with the techs.

BONDSY

Take it to apple and explain to them what the issue is and that you are out of warranty. They are pretty cool there most the time and may help you out without having to spend a dime other then your time . You might need an appointment with the techs.

I would say, give this a try as well. All they can tell you is no.

JKBANDIT55

I took it there this morning. They charged me 50$ to look at it and see the problem.

Problem was it was over heating and may have a bad fan. Wanted 300$ to fix.

Took it to the local computer dude and he is charging me 70 bucks to air out the inside and replace the fan! Should be done tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I took it there this morning. They charged me 50$ to look at it and see the problem.

Problem was it was over heating and may have a bad fan. Wanted 300$ to fix.

Took it to the local computer dude and he is charging me 70 bucks to air out the inside and replace the fan! Should be done tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Was it not under warranty? I have had great luck in the past with the apple store even if my things are out of warranty. I don't think I have ever paid there.

PurpleHayes519

Was it not under warranty? I have had great luck in the past with the apple store even if my things are out of warranty. I don't think I have ever paid there.

I've had the exact opposite experience with apple. I kid you not, my phone was one day past the warranty when it stopped vibrating and they were gonna charge me an arm and a leg for it. Could just be my location though, seeing as I hear lots of people say they have had great luck at apple stores.

Top Bottom