Why can't Jeep Dealerships have Enthusiasts sell their vehicles??

WJCO

Meme King
Not necessarily Jeep related, but one time my stepdad was looking at Diesel trucks in the San Diego area. He brought me along just because I was in the automotive field and wanted me to know what kinds of questions to ask. First diesel truck we look at (at a Dodge dealer), I ask the salesman what engine was in it (I already knew the answer). He replies as confident as can be, 'V10.' I told him "Ok, we'll get back to you. You got a card?" Told my stepdad, "I don't even care if he can find the right truck you want, don't buy from this guy."

Just another example how sales people can sound so confident but don't know shit about what they're selling.

Benny

I scared the crap out of a salesman when I was on a test drive of a Rubicon. I was trying to get my friend to buy one so we drove to a gravel lot where I put it in 4lo, 1st gear and hopped out of the driver's seat and let the Jeep crawl on it's own. The salesman was in the back and about had a heart attack. Friend didn't buy that Jeep though...

DMF

Flipside, most people come in and all they want to do is test the salesman knowledge. It's annoying and I can see why their attitude is just that. Only thing a salesman I have to talk about is how he's gonna make his number match mine.

Alon

When I was shopping for my JKU I was looking for a specific package and color and was on a time deadline of when I needed to have possession. I went to two separate dealerships and told them I was interested in a 2015 JK, went through 2-3 salesmen at both dealerships and none of them even knew what a JK was... blew my mind.

RedRum

I went to three dealerships before buying my 2015 ... The salesman I bought my 2012 from was a true jeep guy and a few years later didn't work there anymore ... My fiancé works in dealerships and the fact is most car salesman are scumbags, law suits on law suits ... In all reality they don't need to know anything about them as long as you do your own research and make sure you get what you want

Skid_Kid

I am not a fan of salesmen at all. I am in the automotive industry. They lie through their teeth and will say what the customer wants to hear, not what they need to hear, just fake as fake can be. You want some good laughs, read the Yelp or Google reviews of a dealer near you, not the 5 stars, read the 3 and below. Lol

CarolinaJK

I went to a local dealer when I was looking at buying a Jeep. I sat down and instantly told them the only option I wanted was AC and automatic trans. They looked at me like I was a demon from hell. Needless to say I found my Willys elsewhere with a few more options included for less.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I am not a fan of salesmen at all. I am in the automotive industry. They lie through their teeth and will say what the customer wants to hear, not what they need to hear, just fake as fake can be. You want some good laughs, read the Yelp or Google reviews of a dealer near you, not the 5 stars, read the 3 and below. Lol

Exactly. This times three.

I am sure most people on here know 10 times what the sales person knows, so its really pointless.

My story while shopping for a JK: the sales women talked a lot about the number of grill slits and how it represents the Jeep having conquered the 7 continents. Wow. Impressive.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I recently just bought my JKU from a dealership and right away I could tell the salesman knew little about the differences between a Rubicon and non Rubicon model. I asked him what made them different and he responded with saying that the "Rubicon had knobby tires and electronic disconnects. That's about it." He said. At the end I gave him a critique on his salesmanship and schooled the guy on his own product he was selling. He was a little embarrassed but grateful I opened his eyes.

This was even at a Jeep dealership.

Last edited:

NV375

I'm alright with the salesperson not knowing every little detail about everything that passes through the lot. I'm not great with any of them trying to feed you a bunch of bull.

Last edited:

JohnnyD

I'm alright with the salesperson not knowing every little detail about everything that passes through the lot. I'm not great with any of them trying feed you a bunch of bull.

Well said, saying "...I don't exactly know but I will find out.." Goes a long way in my book.

Wethy

Well said, saying "...I don't exactly know but I will find out.." Goes a long way in my book.

agreed my sales person said that to me when I Asked. About a few things for me not jeep accessory or items on the jeeps I was looking at but about the other stuff I wanted to know About. I did However has bad at experiences at other dealer ships, one which like the op says dealers should have was jeep enthusiasts selling keeps.

They wouldn't even talk to me. I went in one day after work(I'm a plumber) and I wasn't exactly clean looking cuz my work pants had dust and dirt on them and my high vis shirt had a couple burns on it. I went in just to ask a few questions about them and when I got to the "wrangler sales associates" they wouldn't even acknowledge me. Saying things like I wouldn't be able to afford one or that it would just be a pavement princess, I ended up asking what model they drove and he said his was a Sahara with the the 35's out in the parking lot. I was like well that's a nice rig too bad you don't have the lockers sway bar disconnect or a 44 front end. He was a little shocked. I then proceeded to tell him how much I made and that changed his tune pretty quick. Needless to say I didn't buy my jeep there

Clark Collins

Our local Jeep dealer sponsors a Jeep club and several of the folks at the dealership wheel their Jeeps hard. In fact one of the salesmen leads lots of the rides and his Rubicon has a few battle scars. The Jeep club doesn't have meetings or officers, but we have regular evening rides just about every Thursday night leaving from the dealership. All brands are welcome on the rides and after every ride photos are posted on the club Facebook page "*********Jeep". I hope it's alright to post that reference. Check out the info on our recent rides.

The Facebook page just features ride info and member postings without heavy advertising of the dealership.

Last edited by a moderator:

croge17

As a sales manager at a car dealership I will say that hiring and keeping a good sales person is a difficult task. With the advent of the car buying services, people trusting online car shopping more and more, and information overload from the internet gross profit on cars themselves have diminished greatly. When the gross prfit goes down commissions go down, when commissions go down sales people leave for the next best thing. Right now we loose at least one sales person per month to the cellular sales business. If you expect a jeep enthusiast salesman they are either going to be making a fortune selling you your jeep or they will be just a sales person trying out the brand. Enthusiast salespeople are hard to find in a dealership environment.

jeepinmilton

The dealership I use is pretty competent. There is a steep incline that goes through ferns and bushes onto the road that some of the salesmen will drive down if they don't feel like driving through the lot to pull out. The dealership even had a collab with fabfour to get a jeep done up real nice. The guy I talked with even advised me to do everything myself so that I would get a better bang for my buck. It just depends on the dealer

John Rumph- Alpharetta, Ga

longarmwj

The dealership I use is pretty competent. There is a steep incline that goes through ferns and bushes onto the road that some of the salesmen will drive down if they don't feel like driving through the lot to pull out. The dealership even had a collab with fabfour to get a jeep done up real nice. The guy I talked with even advised me to do everything myself so that I would get a better bang for my buck. It just depends on the dealer

Holy thread revival batman!!!

Thankfully where I sell at, we have four TRUE Jeepers. In fact we all hit the trail together on days off and throw back a few beers :thumb:

jeepinmilton

Holy thread revival batman!!!

Thankfully where I sell at, we have four TRUE Jeepers. In fact we all hit the trail together on days off and throw back a few beers :thumb:
That is awesome! Every dealership should be like that. How can you succeed if you aren't passionate about what you are selling.

Last edited:

aermid

I went out for a few test drives with avg joe sales guy to feel the difference between 3.21 vs 3.73. He had us drive on the road; didn't mention the wave, or really knew much about the options we were considering. We got back and his manager took over. First question he asked was if we took it off into the ditches behind the dealership, and then spent 45 mins talking to me about his wranglers and the wranglers he got for his kids.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nytewlf

When I went to buy my first wrangler, 12 jkur, back in December the sales guys first question was "how about this 13 Sahara over here. It's cheaper." I work for a living and I wasn't anywhere near wearing my Sunday best. I told him that if he could keep the price and swap the axels, transfer case, and a few of the previous owners additions I would be all over it. He asked me why I would want that, it's all the same other than the sticker on the hood.
I spent about 6 months doing research on what I wanted and needed to start with to be happy at the "end" of my build. After I made the purchase I took it to the local jeep dealership and spent a good 2 or 3 hours talking with two of their sales guys (President and Vice President of the local jeep club) about my new jk and what upgrades I would need to do to fully enjoy the tight trails we have here in Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom