Why I run a snorkel on my JK

wjtstudios

Hooked
If you go to the right or left a few feet it would be shallower. No need for a snorkel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I completely agree, but like dozens of other puddles out there it looked like it was 12-14 deep. Not that I got complacent but it was Totally unexpected. The snorkel is just insurance for exactly this situation. Just about every trail in Michigan has some water on it. I really wish it was not the case, but just the reality that we live in. We need some mountains here!

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Yea, that does happen from time to time. Been in a deep hole, stuck and filling with water. Never enough thanks for those that help you out of those situations. I was lucky and didn't kill or hydro-lock my engine.
And, Yes, I saw a hole everyone was going around and had to be "that guy"... never know if ya don't try.

Attachments

• tapatalk_1463934244103.jpeg
    tapatalk_1463934244103.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 20160521_132447.jpg
    20160521_132447.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 100

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yea, that does happen from time to time. Been in a deep hole, stuck and filling with water. Never enough thanks for those that help you out of those situations. I was lucky and didn't kill or hydro-lock my engine.
And, Yes, I saw a hole everyone was going around and had to be "that guy"... never know if ya don't try.

Wow! Scary. I’m glad you got out ok!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Crazy! That didn’t look like that deep of a water hole coming up on it. I’ll still probably never get a snorkel, but in this case I’m sure it helped.

I know I was in and out quick enough, the snorkel probably didn’t matter. But it was sure nice to know it was there and everything is sealed up as well as I could do.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Thats awesome! Living around here running 2 tracks theres always puddles like that. One of the great features us Michiganers put up with. I probably would have tried the sides tho. Lol.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
This happened to me when I lived in Michigan (which was most of my life) in maybe 1997. I was in an old 78 Chevy pickup on 35's and a 6 inch lift. The crossing was probably 8-10 car lengths. It didn't look like it but once I was in, the water was over the hood. That is to say, shoulder deep on me and I'm 5'10". I can't believe it didn't swamp the engine, I would have been swimming in a remote area in January under 30 degrees. The ice was pretty thin and made it look shallow. Learned a lot about thinking first that night. Was very lucky.

Ddays

Hooked
Holy shit!
Don't take this the wrong way, but man I NEVER go through a puddle that 1) I haven't seen someone go through first or 2) I verify the water and sometimes more importantly, the depth of the mud under the water with a stick. I have a broken 4' cb antenna in the back in case I can't find a long enough stick. If its really deep mud and there are trees around I can winch out with MAYBE I'll try it. But I really really hate cleaning that disgusting brackish stinkin ass mud out of the undercarriage. :icon_crazy:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Holy shit!
Don't take this the wrong way, but man I NEVER go through a puddle that 1) I haven't seen someone go through first or 2) I verify the water and sometimes more importantly, the depth of the mud under the water with a stick. I have a broken 4' cb antenna in the back in case I can't find a long enough stick. If its really deep mud and there are trees around I can winch out with MAYBE I'll try it. But I really really hate cleaning that disgusting brackish stinkin ass mud out of the undercarriage. :icon_crazy:

I totally agree! I keep an old two piece jeep flag in there to test anything that looks like it could be deep. This one snuck up on me. It wasn’t much longer than my Jeep. How could it be more than a foot or two deep? At least so I thought. It had been raining most of that week so every 100 feet or so, there was a puddle that looked just like that.

The nasty mud is an unfortunate reality of wheeling here in Michigan. I hope to make a run out your way to Rausch just to get away from mud and run on some rocks soon. But I know you guys have a fair share mud there too.

More importantly I need to find some else to trail lead these little adventures! I’ll be happy to sit in the back of the pack and take great videos of someone else getting stuck!

wjtstudios

Hooked
I live in the east and a lot of people like to go “muddin”. I can’t stand mud or mud holes. I built/bought my jeep for the rock.

You have an awesome rig for rocks! I can’t stand it either, we just don’t have many options here in Michigan. Every trail has some mud. I love winter wheeling for that reason. It’s all frozen!

Top Bottom