Why is Toyota so popular with overlanding crowd?

toyotire

I lived in Upper Michigan for 12 years and managed to get around without them :idontknow:

I have lived in snow country for over 58 years. I started carrying a shovel in the early 70's after getting buried. We typically will drive on top of snow but occasionally will drop thru. In the winter when wheeling I won't go without a shovel. We snow wheel a lot and maybe our snow is different, but it is not uncommon to be using winches and still having to shovel. Also in the summer many places require (it is a good idea even if not required) axe, bucket and shovel. In the northwest we have had a horrific fire season and half of the fires are man made. I am not saying everyone should carry them but I can see the value as I have used a shovel when wheeling many times. I have thought the traxs things might be handy as well if they work like advertised.

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I have lived in snow country for over 58 years. I started carrying a shovel in the early 70's after getting buried. We typically will drive on top of snow but occasionally will drop thru. In the winter when wheeling I won't go without a shovel. We snow wheel a lot and maybe our snow is different, but it is not uncommon to be using winches and still having to shovel. Also in the summer many places require (it is a good idea even if not required) axe, bucket and shovel. In the northwest we have had a horrific fire season and half of the fires are man made. I am not saying everyone should carry them but I can see the value as I have used a shovel when wheeling many times. I have thought the traxs things might be handy as well if they work like advertised.

I wish I was so badass, I needed to carry a gigantic shovel around with me on my roof rack. Sadly, I'm only good enough for a small fold-able shovel that stores behind my seat :(

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I wish I was so badass, I needed to carry a gigantic shovel around with me on my roof rack. Sadly, I'm only good enough for a small fold-able shovel that stores behind my seat :(

^^^X's 2. My folding Army trenching tool has bailed me out of minor snow wheeling issues and dug lots of holes away from the campsites after the early morning coffee. I wouldn't hit the trail without it.
:twocents:Toyota Tacomas and FJ's are pretty competent on the trail and there are many aftermarket suppliers for them. We see lots of them on the trail in Colorado. The old Tacos are favorites to build into truggys. Personally, I'll stick with Jeep.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
^^^X's 2. My folding Army trenching tool has bailed me out of minor snow wheeling issues and dug lots of holes away from the campsites after the early morning coffee. I wouldn't hit the trail without it.
:twocents:Toyota Tacomas and FJ's are pretty competent on the trail and there are many aftermarket suppliers for them. We see lots of them on the trail in Colorado. The old Tacos are favorites to build into truggys. Personally, I'll stick with Jeep.

Yeah the Tacomas and FJs can be quite capable if set up correctly. I love my Tacoma, and for camping and traveling it's an awesome rig. That being said, when doing any sort of technical driving offroad, I MUCH prefer my Jeep.

toyotire

I don't have a roof rack but a long handle shovel fits fine in the back. A long handle helps the old back vs a short folding shovel but I suppose if I were younger the folding shovel might work but I would rather have something I don't need to get on all fours to clear out the differential and underneath so the longer handle helps my old back and knees.
this is the kind of shovels I am talking about. Neither requires a rack. Both types come in handy. But sure you can do the same with a small folding shovel just takes more work for old guys.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper-Long-Handle-Wood-Digging-Shovel/50223609
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hopkins-9-5-in-Plastic-Snow-Shovel-with-30-in-Steel-Handle/3350124

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I don't have a roof rack but a long handle shovel fits fine in the back. A long handle helps the old back vs a short folding shovel but I suppose if I were younger the folding shovel might work but I would rather have something I don't need to get on all fours to clear out the differential and underneath so the longer handle helps my old back and knees.
this is the kind of shovels I am talking about. Neither requires a rack. Both types come in handy. But sure you can do the same with a small folding shovel just takes more work for old guys.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper-Long-Handle-Wood-Digging-Shovel/50223609
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hopkins-9-5-in-Plastic-Snow-Shovel-with-30-in-Steel-Handle/3350124

Lol I'm just poking fun at those guys. If you want to carry a shovel, to each their own. I just think it's funny when I see brand new shovels on the sides of roof racks that have been up there for years and see no use. Damn Toyota guys :crazyeyes:

TheGrendel

Yes there are a lot of yota posers just like Jeep posers. But, yota's have a well earned reputation of not breaking down for overlanding type stuff.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
In addition to what's been mentioned, there's a ton of aftermarket support for Toyota model based gear. Now you could argue if this is a chicken or egg kind of situation, but I'm sure that persuades new owners in that direction too.

Sahara_Maverick

I carry a shovel and a pair of Maxx Traxx for the snow rides.
Already had to use both plus the winch to pull myself and other riders out.
At least here in the Cascades the snow gets deep and fluffy and if we slide out of the main path or decide to take shortcuts it's not uncommon to get stuck. And depending on the case we pick one of the tools. Better having them and deciding which to use to quickly get back on track than to spend extra time and not enjoying the ride. ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I find it hilarious that in the Bay Area how many overlanders commute in a fully equipped rig every day. RTT, gas cans, shovel, axe, sand ladders and of course the obligatory floppy hat. Really an axe and sand ladders to go from San Jose to Cupertino?

Then you have the Subaru crowd. Ugh
View attachment 276584 .

You need to be prepared in the Starbucks drive through lane...anything can happen...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I spend quite a bit of time on the Toyota forums as I own a 2012 Tacoma too. The biggest thing I've noticed is the Toyota's don't do as well on the rocks, in tight places, etc. However, long distance "overlanding" trips are perfect for those kinds of vehicles. That being said, you could have just as much fun in a JK/JKU if set up properly. I think it just depends on what you want.

Now, the guys who run shovels and MAXTRAX on the sides of their roof rack are just posers. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been in a situation where a plastic board or huge shovel would have helped offroad :idontknow:

It's called snow or sand...

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Yes there are a lot of yota posers just like Jeep posers. But, yota's have a well earned reputation of not breaking down for overlanding type stuff.

I am a jeep guy.
But this ^^^ is why they overland in Toyota's. They are very reliable.
They can't wheel hard but they get to their destination.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Lol I'm just poking fun at those guys. If you want to carry a shovel, to each their own. I just think it's funny when I see brand new shovels on the sides of roof racks that have been up there for years and see no use. Damn Toyota guys :crazyeyes:
I carry a shovel as well as it comes in handy to dig a hole when i gotta take a dump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rocksalt

From my experience (I came from Toyota's) if you're into overlanding you're typically not really into "wheeling". You don't do much rock crawling or trail running - it's more fire road exploring. IFS tends to handle the road a lot better for long excursions/does better at speed as well. It's really the comfort factor. Solid axle vehicles are great for hard off roading, but for real road miles they fall short to IFS IRS setups.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

this

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Generally speaking, it's the reliability that keeps their loyal base. The 80 series cruiser that we don't get in the US is very reliable, especially with the turbo diesel. They also have a massive aftermarket. Up until not very long ago, Chrysler built generally garbage, unreliable stuff that people wouldn't trust 400 miles away from civilization. Now, granted, in the US the furthest you can get from humanity is probably around 150 miles or so, but nevertheless, the auro of "you're gonna break down" stays in the back of your mind. Land Cruisers for instance are trusted by the offroad crowd, the UN, ISIS, and generally anyone that has to travel off the beaten path, it's earned a reputation. It's also a vehicle that can be fixed almost anywhere in the world. In the US, the IFS argument is probably more popular, as it's probably more comfortable for daily driving but still capable for what MOST people do offroad. I have a JK, and still wouldn't do what Eddie does, because I lack the experience to fix certain things on the trail, and since I generally wheel alone, I only take generally minor risks...however, I do love the JK platform and trip after trip, my JKs haven't let me down, so on a personal level, as well as whomever I am able to influence with my travel threads, Jeep is earning the trust it needs to one day, be synonymous with bulletproof reliability.

Top Bottom