Why respond to the haters?

JAGS

Hooked
For people who use the app on their phones it defaults to what's new so this mess is always showing up. I don't view that section when I'm on my computer but I spend most of my time using the app. Most of the time I do skip those threads but it just amazes me how much bashing goes on. Silly me for hoping for a level of maturity in this place.

It's one thread out of dozens of "what's new" on the phone. The phone is actually better as it filters by topic.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
For people who use the app on their phones it defaults to what's new so this mess is always showing up. I don't view that section when I'm on my computer but I spend most of my time using the app. Most of the time I do skip those threads but it just amazes me how much bashing goes on. Silly me for hoping for a level of maturity in this place.

Sill you for hoping for any level of maturity on the Internet. This is a Jeep forum not Sunday school.

People are free to leave and free to not read what they don't agree with. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458961485.084048.jpg

ScoobyCarolanNC

I've been pretty active since I got my jeep over a year ago. I also used to run a board, nowhere near this big & definitely not with the devotion & actual feeling of community.

The idea of breaking these "people" off on their own thread, not deleting anything, & not banning them is frankly genius. It creates a historical record, publicly shames, proves the mods have nothing to hide, but also allows them opportunity at redemption. I've seen a few actually man up and apologize. While I can't remember the exact post, I do remember it was either Overlander or Sharkey they had personally offended & publicly apologized to. That apology acceptance was public & also part of the record.

This is called transparency. It's the real kind we wish we had in our government. It's all there for everyone to see; good, bad, & ugly. I think it makes us better.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've been pretty active since I got my jeep over a year ago. I also used to run a board, nowhere near this big & definitely not with the devotion & actual feeling of community.

The idea of breaking these "people" off on their own thread, not deleting anything, & not banning them is frankly genius. It creates a historical record, publicly shames, proves the mods have nothing to hide, but also allows them opportunity at redemption. I've seen a few actually man up and apologize. While I can't remember the exact post, I do remember it was either Overlander or Sharkey they had personally offended & publicly apologized to. That apology acceptance was public & also part of the record.

This is called transparency. It's the real kind we wish we had in our government. It's all there for everyone to see; good, bad, & ugly. I think it makes us better.

For the record, nobody on the Internet has personally offended me. Lol

WJCO

Meme King

We don't have transparency in government? :shock: All these years, and I trusted them bastards...... :grayno:

Slavens

Caught the Bug
It's just me but I wouldn't change a thing about this place. The people I met that I keep in contact with are some amazing people. I think all these crazy ass threads weed out the weak people and let you know who's real. That's just me but I wouldn't want to change a thing.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Ok, this is something that's been formulating in my head for a while now, I sense it in other people on the forum, and I'd like to get feedback from the community.

Thus far, I've had a great time here. I've learned a ton, created my own build thread, and have become generally addicted to the app on my phone. I've found lots of good articles, information, build threads, how-tos, how-to-nots, and people generally sharing in the enjoyment of Jeeps.

But...at least once a week, often times more one of "those threads" comes along. Here is what I've generally observed to be the sequence of events:
1) Someone posts something stupid, hateful, inappropriate, and generally just looking to stir things up
2) A host of usually 5-15 people (and usually the same ones) jump in to shut it down
3) This goes on for a while. Sometimes the person even gets their own thread devoted to duking it out. I think they usually end up banned, but some weather it out and stick around

The results of this series of events are
1) Clutters up the feed on my phone of active threads (minor inconvenience)
2) Results in the person who said the stupid thing usually leaving. Not always a bad thing, but I've said some stupid stuff before too. I think a bit of understanding/forgiveness would go a long way and I have, on a few occasions, witnessed this on the forum
3) Gives a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths that aren't even part of it. We're the other X thousand members just standing in the corner waiting for it to end so we can get back to something productive. Some of us even leave because it rubs us so wrong. And it gets us a bad reputation in other Jeep communities

So, my question is honest and I really do want to understand:
Why respond in such force? It often times stoops to the same level as the original stupid comment. If someone says something stupid, it'd usually take one tactful, polite "Check yourself" from a moderator and the person would either (a) apologize and clarify or (b) respond with something else stupid and we can give them an infarction, which is a tool we have in our own forum rules. Is it really necessary to respond with a bunch of name calling telling the person to get out without asking for any clarification or giving a second chance? I think we make the problem far worse than it would be by a bunch of people commenting, calling person a douche/etc and telling him he can leave. They'd probably leave much sooner if they were just ignored.

I fully realize there is a lot of history to this forum and Eddie. I don't know any of that personally. I also have never run a forum and have only been on this one for about 6 months. So, please don't take this as an afront. Just trying to understand. Hoping for some thoughtful responses. I hate that I call this my Jeep community and I'm nervous posting this thread. I shouldn't be nervous in my own home.

Nice post! You obviously spent some time thinking about this and I totally get and appreciate where your coming from. I look at it this way. We are all guests here in the Wayalife house, picking up morsels of information and advice, sharing our stories, helping others when we can. The moderators keep the house "clean", volunteering their time. At times, new or ignorant people post things that they should't. Being guests, it's our responsibility to be respectful of the rules, moderators and other members. Some new guest blatantly break the rules or post something ridiculous that gets them called out. While I don't feel it's my job to correct them and choose not to participate in those threads, I also don't mind it when they are being shown the door. After all, if that little thought was put into their post in the first place, chances are they will never be contributing members anyway, so good riddance.

On another note you should never feel nervous about posting your opinion on any given subject. Just accept the fact that someone will always disagree! It's up to you what happens next!

USMC Wrangler

Deleting threads doesn't work. We tried this back in the past and all it did was make things worse. People get very upset when their words are censored.

The best way to be not bothered is to just change the channel. Don't read them.

Key points. I like the fact that WAL doesn't kick people or delete threads.

Wayalife & OverlanderJK for PRESIDENT and VICE PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
As an Aussie who's spent most of my working life either in workshops or on building sites I can honestly say this place is pretty tame. I quite enjoy the sarcasm and shit talking that goes on here when someone's being a dick. I wish the local keep forum was run the same that place is full of pussies.

Zstairlessone

Some drama is a very small price to pay (and easy to avoid by skipping the thread) for the quality of information and trust in the opinions we have here. I know when Sharkey or Overlander (and so many others) recommend for or against something that the motive is to pass on knowledge and personal experience not spew some party line or try to pimp some manufacturers goods. Part of how they keep that trust is by enforcing the rules the way they do, if someone really just made a mistake or didn't know they man up and apologize and if they don't I for one wouldn't put any trust into what they add to the Forum and they need to be chased away anyway.

GraniteCrystal

Been almost a year since I started this thread and seems worth of a bump after a week like this one. I'm glad I stuck it out. I've learned the value of how things are done here and why certain situations are handled the way they are. It really does take some time to see the patterns and get in the rhythm of the forum. Also takes some time to get to the point where I don't feel the need to read every Infirmary thread. Shout out to the mods for everything they do.

For anyone who's recently joined, read through this entire thread. It may help give some perspective.

WJCO

Meme King
Been almost a year since I started this thread and seems worth of a bump after a week like this one. I'm glad I stuck it out. I've learned the value of how things are done here and why certain situations are handled the way they are. It really does take some time to see the patterns and get in the rhythm of the forum. Also takes some time to get to the point where I don't feel the need to read every Infirmary thread. Shout out to the mods for everything they do.

For anyone who's recently joined, read through this entire thread. It may help give some perspective.

So well said, Scott. I'm involved in a lot of those threads. Sometimes I add a humorous meme to have some fun, but a lot of times it's not fun being in those threads, but I feel the need to be to stick up for this place. This week has been a rough one here. Yesterday was a perfect example. Also, being a mod, I understand a lot more why Eddie chooses to handle things the way he does even if haters take it as him being a dick.

Thanks for the support :beer:

Clowe

Been almost a year since I started this thread and seems worth of a bump after a week like this one.

Thanks for the bump. I would not have found this otherwise. I like the family culture that the mods and Eddie have created and I understand why you defend it the way you do.

Top Bottom