Will my insurance cover my 80k rig?

redpatchjeff

Are you paying extra for this coverage? If not, the agent was BSing you, and they won't cover a dime of aftermarket. Although I didn't need to provide receipts, they did ask me what I had and how much it cost (ie lighting, $2000, sound system $1200, Armor $1500, etc.)

They are not. And like you, I didn't need to provide receipts but did have to estimate the cost.

Like I said, I'm also a licensed insurance professional and know my underwriter so that probably helps.

Tcdawg

I've never had a problem. I just tell them that I've got additional accessories. I didn't even have to provide receipts.

I've also asked about coverage during off-road trips - their response was "as long as it is not a sanctioned racing event, it's covered."

I have Geico FWIW.

Also, it might be fair to mention that I am a licensed insurance professional and know the underwriter.

What claims have you made that weren't a problem?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
They are not. And like you, I didn't need to provide receipts but did have to estimate the cost.

Like I said, I'm also a licensed insurance professional and know my underwriter so that probably helps.

With all due respect, I seriously doubt your policy would cover $5000 of extra mods without any additional payments. I would love to see this in writing. I know insurance companies cover a SMALL amount of incidental (like if a laptop was in the vehicle) but nothing like 5K worth of offroad mods.

Moochie

I tried to pay extra to my agent. He won't take it. State Farm will reimburse you fair market value for all mods as long as you have receipts. Photos will help.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I tried to pay extra to my agent. He won't take it. State Farm will reimburse you fair market value for all mods as long as you have receipts. Photos will help.

Makes zero sense. They take X amount of money to insure a stock wrangler thats worth X amount of dollars, and they claim they will cover any additional parts so long as you have receipts for the same premium? I don't buy it for a second. What's the cutoff? I have asked 100 people on 100 forums over the years to provide what you just said in writing, and not a single person was able to do it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Oh, and not only that, statefarm has a bad reputation with mods, in terms of blaming them for injuries, accidents, etc.

Moochie

Makes zero sense. They take X amount of money to insure a stock wrangler thats worth X amount of dollars, and they claim they will cover any additional parts so long as you have receipts for the same premium? I don't buy it for a second. What's the cutoff? I have asked 100 people on 100 forums over the years to provide what you just said in writing, and not a single person was able to do it.

It doesn't make sense to me either. I talked to their office and went to meet with my agent to confirm.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It doesn't make sense to me either. I talked to their office and went to meet with my agent to confirm.

Im definitely not calling you a liar...Im sure you did and Im sure the agent told you this. I have heard it 100 times, and I believed it 100 times that a customer was told this stuff by an agent. Another problem with statefarm is that their offices are independently owned so their rules for PROVIDING insurance are so cloudy, that no one knows what the hell is going on....however, paying claims is an entirely different story. There are guys on the Audi forums that have been dropped for having mods, guys on the Honda forums had their claims DENIED because they had aftermarket coilovers (statefarm blamed them and said they caused the vehicle to lose control, etc) and there are many other stories. Im just looking out for you guys. Remember, when it comes to filing a claim, unless it's in writing you don't have a hope in hell, and I have never had anyone provide anything in writing....only "my agent told me" which I hate because I feel you guys are being deceived, and if that day comes, you'll be out in the cold holding a bag.

Take your ride, or hell, Moby....you guys have massive MASSIVE amounts of parts on your rigs...hell, the parts and work are probably worth more than the jeep itself...when the agent told you "we will cover your parts as long as you have receipts"....whats the cutoff? Will they cover a set of skids or will they cover an LS swap, two PR60s, an Atlas TC, and a set of Evo DTD? See what I mean? Without writing, you really don't have anything to go by. If your agents is assuring you that this is the case, I'd make em put it in writing.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Oh, and not only that, statefarm has a bad reputation with mods, in terms of blaming them for injuries, accidents, etc.

Dude give it a rest. You don't know everything. Just because your insurance won't cover you doesn't mean somebody else's won't cover them.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Im just doing some digging...and it seems that SOME policies with SOME carriers come with a little bit ($1000 or less) aftermarket part coverage, and you can add up to the carrier's max for an extra fee. The problem with agents is they don't know cars. They don't know that your PR60 is $5000 or that your LED lightbar is $1500.

Leah Knapp, spokesperson for Progressive Insurance, says that when you purchase comprehensive or collision coverage through Progressive, you will automatically receive at least $1,000 of custom-parts and accessory-equipment coverage in most states. If that’s not enough, you can purchase up to $4,000 in additional coverage.

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/upgrades.html

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Dude give it a rest. You don't know everything. Just because your insurance won't cover you doesn't mean somebody else's won't cover them.

Actually I do....which is why I needed to get Hagery Insurance for my s2000...no one else covers this much aftermarket value. Its your ride, insure it with whomever you please, and you can waltz around thinking you are covered. The OP asked a specific question, which I answered. Others have provided information, which so far, they can't back up, and it may mislead the OP into thinking he has coverage because "his agent said so" but that isn't the case. Im sure insurance companies will cover Moby for the same price as a 2010 bone stock wrangler....makes a lot of sense.

dahreno

Banned
I had Hagerty for ten years on my old Jeep . When I sold it and bought another ,I asked them about coverage IF I go 4 wheeling . They freaked out , sent me papers to sign saying that I would NEVER go wheeling , made me send them pics. of my Jeep , then cancelled me !I never told them my first Jeep would be wheeled . I am also sure if I had a problem , they would not have covered it . I am freaking old , have bought and sold six houses , and have alot of dealings with insurance companies . They will just about tell you anything . If you don't get it in writing , it ain't true ! Don't fool yourself , their job is to collect money and do what ever it takes to not pay , that's how they stay in business !

JKFlyer

I think part of the lesson here is to ask your insurance company but don't give them your info first. Ask in general without giving your account info and call from a cell or private line. I do this at times and say I am a customer w X kind of policy and what would happen if I did X Y and Z to my vehicle. They'll answer you

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet

Banned
I would like to hear from Bearjew on his personal experience here recently. I was with him a Rausch when he rolled his jeep. I thought for sure the insurance wouldn't cover it, but it did.

Top Bottom