Winch cover or no?

WJCO

Meme King
I just ordered a full cover for the Zeon this week. Should have it tomorrow. I'll post pics.

EDIT: Oops forgot. Can't post pics. My Jeep is in the shop. Forgot.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I wanted to get a cover, more to help and try to keep the synthetic dry and have it not freeze in winter time, which is an issue I had before when I needed to pull line.

mds22

Anyone know a way to keep them from fading and looking so cheap. Serves the purpose but looks like shit when the turn grey/purple

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
For the guys running the covers, does it keep the winch and line dry? or is it more just for sun protection?

mds22

For the guys running the covers, does it keep the winch and line dry? or is it more just for sun protection?

My friends Neoprene one did not keep it 100% dry. I think there are some tie down ones that are made from completely water proof material.

WJCO

Meme King
Just got Jeep back from the shop. Threw the winch cover on. Fits snugly other than on the back where the winch cables and some of my aftermarket lighting wires are. I wanted the cover just for winter, preventing ice build up if I need it, and the de-icing chemicals they put on the road. Here's how the cover fits on the Zeon.

DSC02510.jpg DSC02511.jpg DSC02512.jpg DSC02513.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Thread resurrection. Looks like it's almost one year to the date from when I put my winch cover on last year and just did the same today. But question for those of you running a recessed winch in your bumpers. We didn't buy a cover for the JK and just left it exposed the way it is as it is due to the bumper design. The winch is pretty recessed in there so it's protected more and also would be more difficult to get a cover on it. If anyone else is running a similar bumper with a recessed winch, I'd love to hear some feedback on whether a cover is worth it or not. Here's the wife's Jeep.

IMG_20161012_160348_672.jpg

IMG_20161012_160215_494.jpg

JeepJeep75

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1481048695.022905.jpg I don't think I could get a cover on my powerplant, it's absolutely stuffed down into the bumper. Besides, it only rains like twice a year in Southern California.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thread resurrection. Looks like it's almost one year to the date from when I put my winch cover on last year and just did the same today. But question for those of you running a recessed winch in your bumpers. We didn't buy a cover for the JK and just left it exposed the way it is as it is due to the bumper design. The winch is pretty recessed in there so it's protected more and also would be more difficult to get a cover on it. If anyone else is running a similar bumper with a recessed winch, I'd love to hear some feedback on whether a cover is worth it or not. Here's the wife's Jeep.

View attachment 233512

View attachment 233513

Is your concern the synthetic cable, or just general UV & weather damage to the whole thing? I'm interested in this, too, with how bad this Q-Tec winch looks on my rig now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Is your concern the synthetic cable, or just general UV & weather damage to the whole thing? I'm interested in this, too, with how bad this Q-Tec winch looks on my rig now.

My post from last year #29 shows the ice build up mixed with road chemicals on my WJ, pretty bad. So I just want to protect a majority of the rope on the JK more than anything but it's not exposed like the WJ winch is.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My post from last year #29 shows the ice build up mixed with road chemicals on my WJ, pretty bad. So I just want to protect a majority of the rope on the JK more than anything but it's not exposed like the WJ winch is.

You can weld. Have you thought about fabbing a removable, metal cover? Might keep enough ice off, the way it sits.

WJCO

Meme King
You can weld. Have you thought about fabbing a removable, metal cover? Might keep enough ice off, the way it sits.

Good call. Not a bad idea. I would probably use stainless so I don't have to deal with rust. I'm trying to decide if it's even worth it. Then again, it would be one more thing the wife would want painted pink..... :icon_crazy:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
My winch cover faded fast, but is still holding up well. I don't like the look of it, but it does keep it clean for the most part. I know one thing, when this one breaks down I won't buy another..

Ddays

Hooked
Glad I got the winch cover on when I did.

View attachment 177570 View attachment 177571

I run a cover in Winter only so that if I'd ever need to use my winch I don't have to deal with cleaning up this ^^ mess before I can unspool. :icon_crazy:
You probably can't even get a cover down over your winch in that LOD bumper though so you may need to fab some kind of shield. At minimum I would
fab up some kind of plug for the fairlead. That would probably keep the majority of the junk out of the spool area.

jagrubb99

I run a cover in Winter only so that if I'd ever need to use my winch I don't have to deal with cleaning up this ^^ mess before I can unspool. :icon_crazy:
You probably can't even get a cover down over your winch in that LOD bumper though so you may need to fab some kind of shield. At minimum I would
fab up some kind of plug for the fairlead. That would probably keep the majority of the junk out of the spool area.
Yeah, i run this same bumper and honestly i dont think you will have a problem. Because the fog lights sit in front of the fram rails in this bumper, there is a pretty good didtance between the drum and fairlead so im not sure how muvh buildup you would get on the winch. I guess if it got bad you could fab something up or get a fairlead mounted license plate, i assume it would do the same thing. Sorry i cant really comment with experience, no snow down here in South Alabama. Lol

WJCO

Meme King
The bumper was pretty nasty today, but the only dirty part of the winch was the top. The rope was fine. I'll keep an eye on it, but it looks like we may be good without one.

Top Bottom