Winch help..

WhiteShadow

Okay so my buddy has a '90 bronco that hasn't been cranked or moved in over a year. He asked me to see if I could get it to start and to see if the winch needed to be replaced.. We never used to winch when I was with him. So never really payed any attention to it. But come to find out on the bronco the brakes are shot and so is the trans. Long story short I just got this bad boy

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407982763.267366.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407982778.457036.jpg

Now just got to find a bumper to use it with! Anyone got any ideas on good bumper set ups for this winch? I have been looking but can't find any that it will fit on. I'm open to ideas and possibilities.

That's the warn 8274-50 upright winch. Great classic, fast and reliable design. It mounts foot forward, unlike most new style winches that mount foot down. I know warn makes a foot forward mounting plate adapter, not sure if anyone else does as well....nice winch man

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Might be, the warn mount is an adapter that bolts to the existing bumper but it looks simple enough to fabricate at home/shop.

Okay so another question... This winch is only 8,000 pounds...and most of my winching would involve pulling out jacked up F150s and bigger. Hell we got this super duty stuck one time..took hours.. Could this handle all of that?

Use a snatch block and double back, that will double the pull power to 16K. That'll do it fo sur.

Thank y'all for your fast replies and extremely helpful information!

Anything about changing the steel cable to a synthetic? Or is that super straight forward and I'm just over thinking it?

Also recovery gear? Any suggestions about ratings? Obviously nothing less than 8,000 but should I look for recovery gear with 16k+ rating for when I double it?

I thought Eddie did a write-up on changing to Synthetic but i can't seem to find it. Maybe someone will chime in

This is the winch I WANTED but when I called warn and asked if it could be fit with synthetic line they told me the drum was not made for synthetic. The drum material is not thick enough to tolerate the squeeze from SL as opposed to steel cable. Something about how because steel cable has more friction between each wrap it does not cinch down on the drum as much as SL would.

I also found a four wheel and off road ( I think)test of several winches and the 8274 was one of them. They ran the test with synthetic line and dented the drum on this winch, I'll try and find that article.

Not sure how much of this is accurate, but it is what I have been told and why I am looking at other winches.... I really want to run SL and not steel cable.

Do you think it would be possible to find a drum for the special edition they released a few years back that had a synthetic line on it?

If not I wonder if there is a way to beef it up to allow a synthetic line?

I'm very happy about having the winch and I litteraly got it for free basically.. But sadly if I can't get a synthetic line set up i may end up selling it or tradeing it with someone

Well as an update..I have been emailing Warn back and forth for a few days now.
We have been going back and forth on everything I need to fix this winch to my needs. Very great support and service gotta give them a huge A+
Sadly however it is correct that the drum will not support a synthetic line as is. Especially since it's an older model. So now looking for ways to modify the drum to be stronger... If anyone has any ideas please don't hold back

But today I did take the control unit apart and clean it up a little
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1408155333.090102.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1408155345.288271.jpg
Still needed a little work so ditched the hand tools and went with power tools

Then clear coat of rust-o and reassembled
Then checked the breaks on the outer gear and one was cracked pretty bad so will be replacing those!
More pictures to come!

Interesting information about the 8274 not being suitable for synthetic line. I've never heard this before but was always keen to eventually get one of these hi-mount Warns. Maybe not now! I'll stick with my 30 year old M8000 instead.

Actually it isn't going to be so hard as I originally believed.. Just simply need to get a steel pipe that fits inside the drum and weld it together and it's fixed. Sadly I'm leaving for school Monday morning so it's gonna take a while before I get around to solving the problem.

Post photos when you do this fix, a bunch of us will be watching to see how it works out.... tango

Top Bottom