Winch Statistics (WAYALIFE version)

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I’ve got ~20 pulls on my 12,000 badlands winch and I would not suggest it. The duty cycle is very short, and the winch has to rest a lot or it gets too hot. I haven’t killed it yet, because I’m careful with it. But imo if you have to be that careful with a winch it’s a shitty winch. I’ll be replacing with a PowerPlant warn

Just remembered it won’t free spool anymore, I have to let the line out with the remote. Gotta look into that.

You do know warn discontinued the Powerplant, correct? Hope you plan to pick one up sooner than later...

BobNH

Had a Smittybilt XRC8 for many years, used it less than 15 times, but it worked every time. YMMV
I too had the freespool issue a few have noted here, the fix most of the time is to open them up, take out all that crap grease, and put in a good quality grade grease that can withstand moisture and the cold. There are write-ups out there somewhere.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I used my Warn Zeon 10s one time so far. I was hung up pretty bad, with all 4 wheels of the ground. It dragged me of the rocks without a problem, it was amazing 🤤

97TJ

Winches can not only save your rig, they can save your life. Big fan of winches here. Being a TJ owner, I don't have to winch too often. But I will note that my Warn has worked flawlessly for over 18 years. Something to be said for that. So I got a Warn for my buggy as well. I also like to install front and rear hitches so the winch can be placed as wanted.

Let down on my trucks though. I don't know if I'll ever again need a winch on them. So I bought cheaper winches that I generally store indoors due to the synthetic lines and being exposed to the weather never helps. Plus thieves. Also have front and back hitches on trucks. Also make 20' extensions with ~#2 AWG copper or 2/0 aluminum to provide good power to the rear winch location. Did I mention that I'm a big winch fan?

Why would a winch fail after five years? Many reasons of course. One thing that is hard on motors is insufficient power. From, for example, using a battery when the vehicle engine is not running. Or running too long of a power line with too small gauge of wire. 12 volt DC power requires comparatively huge power lines. Bad connections could also create lack of power. Of course it could well be a manufacturing defect. I'd always hope for a lot more than five years unless the usage was very extensive.

Steel vs synthetic is a current raging debate. Many pros and cons to each. Synthetic needs to be covered but is lighter and easier to work with. Also thicker so you tend to get less line. Steel will last for decades without worry.

Snatch block? Yes - could not pull myself out of a deep mud hole until the snatch block was used. Sometimes one can't let out near enough line to get full winch power. Extensions? Yes. Portable anchor? Yes. Kriminy - it would be easy to carry a 1/4 ton of gear and parts.

Top Bottom