Winches and alternators

Irish Pirate

I'm going to add a winch. Every jeep needs one. Right?

I have a yellow top Optima battery. And a stock alternator. Haven't decided on a winch yet.

Should I upgrade the alternator and go with a high output. (I've been looking at a mean green).

What have you guys done ??

Angry Aussie

I'm going to add a winch. Every jeep needs one. Right?

I have a yellow top Optima battery. And a stock alternator. Haven't decided on a winch yet.

Should I upgrade the alternator and go with a high output. (I've been looking at a mean green).

What have you guys done ??

If I was you I would get rid of your yellow top optima battery. Mine didn't even last a year and a half and had to replace it this week. Optima batteries aren't the same quality that they used to be. They are made in Mexico these days. If you keep the optima you may wanna get a jump box to carry around in your jeep. I had to get one and it saved my ass more than once.

Your stock alternator should be fine for a good while but it is something to think about upgrading at some point.

Irish Pirate

That's good to know about the batteries. I had an AutoZone battery had to replace it a couple times in a couple years. Put this in six months ago so far it's been awesome. But now you have me thinking

GraniteCrystal

I just added a winch. Didn't think about needing to upgrade battery, but makes sense. Interested to see what others have done.

utiadam

LOSER
I'm only going to upgrade the alternator when it goes out. The stock alternators on the 12+ are 160a. I have researched Singer alternators and they quoted me:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450978879.244695.jpg
I already have a Genesis dual battery kit with die hard platinums that i installed last Christmas.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450978741.524137.jpg

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I've noted a few people with dual-battery installations. Haven't heard anyone indicate a reason. So, I'll ask: Why? Key reason I'd see would be if someone wanted a long-duration capacity w/o the Jeep running. What might those be? Thoughts

Driver

I went with the Northstar. Lil more expensive than the Odyssey but also tested better in 4Wheeler magazine than all the others.

Bananaspider886

I have a 12k winch on my tj and if I'm extremely stuck sitting on both axles and I have to do like 5 sec on 5 sec off or my voltage cage goes all the way down I read that the v8 grand Cherokee alternator is a direct fit and puts more out idk if it's true but I'm gonna look into it and see but might be something to consider aswell

LetsGoMuddin

I read that the 160 amp alternator from the Dodge Durango will swap into a TJ. I'm not sure what model year, but you will need to upgrade the wire to the battery and possibly your battery. That's quite an upgrade from the stock alternator!

Bananaspider886

I read that the 160 amp alternator from the Dodge Durango will swap into a TJ. I'm not sure what model year, but you will need to upgrade the wire to the battery and possibly your battery. That's quite an upgrade from the stock alternator!

Oh yea it was the Durango my mistake it's been awhile since I looked it up

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I have always kept my engine running while winching so the battery doesn't drain as much and I don't have to worry about not being able to start the jeep once I'm unstuck. Warn XD 9000i

WJCO

Meme King
I have always kept my engine running while winching so the battery doesn't drain as much and I don't have to worry about not being able to start the jeep once I'm unstuck. Warn XD 9000i

That's what I do. Just leave it running.

Top Bottom