Winching technique

Oreo_penguin536

Actually, pulling power increases with more cable spooled out. It decreases as you bring cable in.

It is possible to winch and reverse at the same time, but not recommended. It’s a good way to blow up your ring and pinion or your transmission. They are not designed for significant loads in reverse. Also, winching is already dangerous. Why make it more so by adding in another distraction and potential cause of failure?

Definitely won’t do be doing that then as far as winching and reversing

Thanks for all the help guys! Lots of great info on this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
^^ this. You have the most pulling power on the first layer of cable. As the layers increase your ratio decreases and power decreases. I don't recommend using the winch and reverse at the same time. Lots of stuff can break, the shock load can snap a cable, and your drivetrain is also taking a big shock doing this.

Brute

Hooked
Your greatest pulling power is when you have the smallest diameter of line on the spool...it is similar to a conventional fishing reel. My 80 lb trolling reels have the strike drag set to about 20 lbs (roughly 25% of line strength). When you have a big tuna or marlin strike and rip 400-600 yards of line off the spool, your drag resistance increases (why we set strike drag so low)...but your pulling power on the reel also increases (line retrieval rate is at its lowest). As you recover line increasing spool diameter, your pulling power decreases, but line retrieval rate increases...the same is true for the spool of a winch.

I have a winching dvd I purchased from Badlands Off Road Adventures years ago that I'll send to you...it has a lot of great info on it. They also offer a cloth bandana with printed winching reminders that you can keep in your winch bag.

Best thing to do is carry plenty of d-rings, a couple snap shackles, a couple tree saver straps, winch extension(s) and gloves...along with a tow/snatch strap. I would also go out and practice with your winch and get familiar with using it before having to a real winch recovery

Oreo_penguin536

Your greatest pulling power is when you have the smallest diameter of line on the spool...it is similar to a conventional fishing reel. My 80 lb trolling reels have the strike drag set to about 20 lbs (roughly 25% of line strength). When you have a big tuna or marlin strike and rip 400-600 yards of line off the spool, your drag resistance increases (why we set strike drag so low)...but your pulling power on the reel also increases (line retrieval rate is at its lowest). As you recover line increasing spool diameter, your pulling power decreases, but line retrieval rate increases...the same is true for the spool of a winch.

I have a winching dvd I purchased from Badlands Off Road Adventures years ago that I'll send to you...it has a lot of great info on it. They also offer a cloth bandana with printed winching reminders that you can keep in your winch bag.

Best thing to do is carry plenty of d-rings, a couple snap shackles, a couple tree saver straps, winch extension(s) and gloves...along with a tow/snatch strap. I would also go out and practice with your winch and get familiar with using it before having to a real winch recovery

That would be rad man, I’ll shoot you a pm now.

I didn’t know winching was something you practiced to get good at,l. Good excuse to get out of the house and up in the hills a bit. Is their any specific way when winching to keep the spoil wrapping nicely or should I not worried about it? If the top of my head I can’t remember the diameter of the line but it is synthetic paired with the 9500 smitty xlt. When I pretensioned my line I was having a hell of a time getting it to lay nice and neat, took almost 45 minutes to wrap it up. Can’t imagine having to do that solo in unfavorable conditions, I.e. not a on a gentle asphalt slope

I don’t know why you’re worried about a few wraps left on the drum, it’s like a foot or less and ain’t gonna help ya even if you could use it. Winches work with STATIC forces not DYNAMIC you don’t snatch from a winch. You don’t pull with a winch and drive, the dynamic forces will either snap a cable or bust the drum if you have enough weight. Go to ARB and Warns youtube page for some safe how to videos for winching and snatch block usage. And another tip, if you’re doing dumbshit or playing with higher forces then you should be open your hood and leave it folded against windshield. It’s thin metal but it beats the hell out of a cable or hook flying through the windshield at you.
Jeeps don’t weigh shit so Anchoring is often necessary and you’re probably going to be fine strapping to a tree or another jeep but it does stress your frame on hard pulls so try not to first.
“When you know and understand the rules, then you can break them”

Tumbleweed

Making sure you never pull too much rope from your winch drum, there is a simple, cheap, effective solution. A "winch rope retainer strap". Google the phrase. The initial setup is a pain the the butt. However, once its done you never have to fool with it again. The retaining strap makes it impossible to free-spool out to much rope. Adds about an ounce of weight. You can position them as needed to keep 5,6,8,10 whatever wraps on the drum. I made mine out of nylon webbing I bought from a hardware store. 10" long and 1" overlap. Hand sewn with a leather sewing awl. They are available on Amazon, but I would not buy them. I did and the material is WAY too thick, much thicker than needed.
ba2679_1.jpg
winchrope-retainer-c.jpg

Oreo_penguin536

Making sure you never pull too much rope from your winch drum, there is a simple, cheap, effective solution. A "winch rope retainer strap". Google the phrase. The initial setup is a pain the the butt. However, once its done you never have to fool with it again. The retaining strap makes it impossible to free-spool out to much rope. Adds about an ounce of weight. You can position them as needed to keep 5,6,8,10 whatever wraps on the drum. I made mine out of nylon webbing I bought from a hardware store. 10" long and 1" overlap. Hand sewn with a leather sewing awl. They are available on Amazon, but I would not buy them. I did and the material is WAY too thick, much thicker than needed.
View attachment 294300
View attachment 294298

Another thing I’ll be getting! Thanks man🤙🏾
I’d say I’d sew it like you but I could never figure out that stuff🤣

WJCO

Meme King
When I pretensioned my line I was having a hell of a time getting it to lay nice and neat, took almost 45 minutes to wrap it up.

If you have synthetic, I would not recommend making each row neat. If it's not stretched correctly, when you are actually using the winch, the rope will actually pull into the row below it and tangle up. I've seen this happen on the trail, and it fucking sucks to untangle. Instead, after your first row, reel it in diagnoally and chaotic. It will look like shit, but under load it will function well and won't get tangled. Also if you do it this way, you don't even have to worry about the rope being pretensioned.

Oreo_penguin536

If you have synthetic, I would not recommend making each row neat. If it's not stretched correctly, when you are actually using the winch, the rope will actually pull into the row below it and tangle up. I've seen this happen on the trail, and it fucking sucks to untangle. Instead, after your first row, reel it in diagnoally and chaotic. It will look like shit, but under load it will function well and won't get tangled. Also if you do it this way, you don't even have to worry about the rope being pretensioned.

Oh okay, good to know. I thought it was bad to have it messy like that but that’s good🤙🏾

Towmnky

Also remember just cause you have 10 or 12k winch doesn’t mean you can move that all depends on anchor which is 66% of vehicle weight unless you have someone standing on brakes or winch vehicle. In the towing profession we NEVER tie down the winch vehicle cause like someone stated call pull vehicles apart. Snatch blocks and lots of cable you can move anything Winches are great tools if used correctly and knowing limits

Oreo_penguin536

Lots of helpful info guys, thank you for keeping me from fucking my Jeep off.

Just to reiderate,

Have a winch bag with tree savers, 2 snatch blocks, d shackles, 50’ extension, gloves, weight blanket ( even though a floor mat could work as well I’ve heard), a rash guard on the winch line itself on the last 10 feet, for synthetic line wrap sloppy to prevent it from tangling on the spool as well as other issues, always keep 5-10 wraps on the spool at minimum, never anchor the vehicle with the winch unless it is at the front against a tree (Jeep parked against tree while winching to prevent slippage), never tow and winch or use the winch as a tow strap, last but not least, practice practice practice so when the time comes you can preform and not Jack everything up

Top Bottom