Wines of the Week

Brute

Hooked
Is there a life cycle on wine once it’s opened? Can you cork it if you don’t finish the bottle and put it back on the rack? Just curious, as I’ve never drank wine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Absolutely...usually, it's best to drink the whole bottle after opening. Exposure to air begins the oxidizing process...you can delay this by a day or two with gadgets like a vacuum pump/top that removes some of the air in the bottle...and there is a very sophisticated & expensive method of replacing the air in the bottle with an inert gas like argon that some restaurants use to keep high end bottles they sell by the glass...

Perhaps now is the time you should start drinking wine?...

Scrambler

Absolutely...usually, it's best to drink the whole bottle after opening. Exposure to air begins the oxidizing process...you can delay this by a day or two with gadgets like a vacuum pump/top that removes some of the air in the bottle...and there is a very sophisticated & expensive method of replacing the air in the bottle with an inert gas like argon that some restaurants use to keep high end bottles they sell by the glass...

Perhaps now is the time you should start drinking wine?...

I’ve been debating on trying it out, but it is kind of daunting walking into the liquor store and seeing 100’s of different brands and types. I may get a wild hair and start trying some.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I’ve been debating on trying it out, but it is kind of daunting walking into the liquor store and seeing 100’s of different brands and types. I may get a wild hair and start trying some.

Don't do it!

I started with wine coolers (Carlo Rossi or box wine mixed with sprite or 7up) around age 12, Boone's farm in high school, Sutter Home white zinfandel in college and my last order cost me over $900. :cheesy:

Figure out your budget and buy some different types within your price range. If you have a store like Total Wine or even a decent grocery story don't hesitate to ask for help. The people there genuinely love the product and are happy to help you pick out some wine. You can find some good wine at relatively cheap prices too, don't think it has to be expensive to be good.

Brute

Hooked
Don't do it!

I started with wine coolers (Carlo Rossi or box wine mixed with sprite or 7up) around age 12, Boone's farm in high school, Sutter Home white zinfandel in college and my last order cost me over $900. :cheesy:

Figure out your budget and buy some different types within your price range. If you have a store like Total Wine or even a decent grocery story don't hesitate to ask for help. The people there genuinely love the product and are happy to help you pick out some wine. You can find some good wine at relatively cheap prices too, don't think it has to be expensive to be good.

Most supermarkets carry a decent selection these days...usually the top shelf is the better stuff, the bottom shelf the cheap stuff. Try something in the middle...my preference is red wine, with Pinot Noir being my favorite grape varietal. If you like chilled wines, try a sauvignon blanc from New Zealand or CA...they are easy to drink and relatively inexpensive

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Is there a life cycle on wine once it’s opened? Can you cork it if you don’t finish the bottle and put it back on the rack? Just curious, as I’ve never drank wine.

Just to be clear, you cannot open wine and then re-cork and store on the rack like it was never opened. Once opened you can re-cork and store in the fridge for a few or more days depending on the type of wine.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Drinking wine is no different then drinking beer or coffee; just more expensive! People new to wine tend to gravitate toward sweeter varieties like Moscato, Riesling or Lambrusco. Eventually, some come to their senses and start to appreciate a good glass of wine. That being said, go to a fancy local market on Saturday morning; chances are they will have some wine tasting going on. It’s spring so Rosé is popular; darker the color the sweeter it is as a rule of thumb.

Go for it!

Scrambler

Drinking wine is no different then drinking beer or coffee; just more expensive! People new to wine tend to gravitate toward sweeter varieties like Moscato, Riesling or Lambrusco. Eventually, some come to their senses and start to appreciate a good glass of wine. That being said, go to a fancy local market on Saturday morning; chances are they will have some wine tasting going on. It’s spring so Rosé is popular; darker the color the sweeter it is as a rule of thumb.

Go for it!

I dunno. I just spent $13 on a six pack of Space Dust. I don't think it'd be that much of a sticker shock to me. Once we move in the next two weeks, I'll go look around and see what I pick up. I'll be sure to post here and let you guys know. Thanks for the advice.

JAGS

Hooked
Don't do it!

Boone’s farm and sutter home. That is so funny and yet so true.

JAGS

Hooked

Very fair statement about starting out.

I started drinking “better” wines once I was able to go wine tasting at the wineries and vineyards. Learning about the growing and winemaking process helped me understand and appreciate the different types of wine.

I would say that wine tastes/palate develop the more you drink. Most don’t generally jump right into big cabs. Others have mentioned some white wines to start. A BevMo/total wine folks there to help make a selection. Sometimes they even host tasting events. If they don’t, try to find some tasting events in the area.

Heat, light, and air are enemies of an open bottle of wine. If I don’t finish a bottle, I’ll throw a stopper on and put it in a cabinet or in the fridge. Can even do this with an open red as long as you let it get up to temp before drinking. An open bottle can last a couple days if stored properly.

If all else fails, don’t be afraid to order by the glass. A decent restaurant can recommend a light white, other wine from the menu. Many will give you small taste before pouring a glass.

Brute

Hooked
margeaux.jpg

Libations for Mother's Day...an '08 Louis Roederer bubbly, and possibly my favorite Bordeaux...Chateau Margaux '03

Top Bottom