Wines of the Week

Brute

Hooked
Clos St Denis.jpg

This pic might be a bit blurry...after pounding beers while making dinner, then drinking wine during dinner, I'm not sure why. It was a stellar Clos St. Denis from Burgundy...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Was this while watching the Wolf Pack roll over Portland St?...

Negative. We “celebrated” Labor Day a day early. But I watched that game from a friends box. It was a Tito’s night that night. ;)

IMG_6150.jpg

Nevada struggled to begin with. Might be a long season.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
What does "Field Blend" mean...

Not sure, but better than “the mutt” blend. Lol. This has five different grapes. Chardonnay. Viognier. Grenache blanc. Riesling. Muscat. It’s A good inexpensive patio/pre-bbq wine.

Brute

Hooked
Not sure, but better than “the mutt” blend. Lol. This has five different grapes. Chardonnay. Viognier. Grenache blanc. Riesling. Muscat. It’s A good inexpensive patio/pre-bbq wine.

I don't think I've ever tasted a blended white wine...interesting

Tanktitan

What does "Field Blend" mean...

Brute, I bet you have had plenty of field blend wines, it is just not common terminology. The 2001 Ch. Beaucastle you recently posted is a field blend of up to 14 different grapes that grow in their field. In Chateauneuf du Pape they allow winemakers to simply pick the field and vinify it. Even though it is a red wine, they can use white grapes in it. Wine is endlessly fascinating for these type reasons. One can spend a lifetime drinking it and know that they never mastered it. That keeps us opening the next bottle.

Brute

Hooked
Brute, I bet you have had plenty of field blend wines, it is just not common terminology. The 2001 Ch. Beaucastle you recently posted is a field blend of up to 14 different grapes that grow in their field. In Chateauneuf du Pape they allow winemakers to simply pick the field and vinify it. Even though it is a red wine, they can use white grapes in it. Wine is endlessly fascinating for these type reasons. One can spend a lifetime drinking it and know that they never mastered it. That keeps us opening the next bottle.

I was referring to white wine...of course I've had red wines with multiple varietals in them...you can't drink a red Bordeaux or Rhone wine without doing so...with the exception of Champagne, which is primarily Chardonnay & Pinot noir (but not always), I can't recall drinking a blended white wine ( I also don't drink white wine often, but cook with it often)

JAGS

Hooked
I don't think I've ever tasted a blended white wine...interesting

Fairly unusual indeed. It’s just a simple wine. It’s been pretty hot, so we’ve been picking from the white wine fridge lately. Tablas creek out of paso has made a few good white blends. But usually just a couple varietals.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Fairly unusual indeed. It’s just a simple wine. It’s been pretty hot, so we’ve been picking from the white wine fridge lately. Tablas creek out of paso has made a few good white blends. But usually just a couple varietals.

Tablas Creek produces some decent juice. I’ve been diggin their club shipments(red only).

Tanktitan

I was referring to white wine...of course I've had red wines with multiple varietals in them...you can't drink a red Bordeaux or Rhone wine without doing so...with the exception of Champagne, which is primarily Chardonnay & Pinot noir (but not always), I can't recall drinking a blended white wine ( I also don't drink white wine often, but cook with it often)

I was referring to your question “what does ‘field blend’ mean”. Please take no offense.

Personally I find it interesting that France allows a field blend and thought you might as well. A good example of a blended white you have no doubt enjoyed is white Bordeaux.

Brute

Hooked
I was referring to your question “what does ‘field blend’ mean”. Please take no offense.

Personally I find it interesting that France allows a field blend and thought you might as well. A good example of a blended white you have no doubt enjoyed is white Bordeaux.

No offense taken. On the rare times I enjoy white wine, it is usually a Montrachet from
Burgundy or a Viognier from the southern Rhone valley...and occasionally polishing off the Sauvignon Blanc that I cooked with. One white wine I really enjoy, especially when it's hot, is a Fiorduva from the Amalfi coast...which I believe is a blend of several grapes...and I've only had it when visiting the Almafi coast

JAGS

Hooked
No offense taken. On the rare times I enjoy white wine, it is usually a Montrachet from
Burgundy or a Viognier from the southern Rhone valley...and occasionally polishing off the Sauvignon Blanc that I cooked with. One white wine I really enjoy, especially when it's hot, is a Fiorduva from the Amalfi coast...which I believe is a blend of several grapes...and I've only had it when visiting the Almafi coast

Zin tonight View attachment 310453

You guys are my kind of people. Viognier and Zin are a couple favs. [emoji485][emoji485]

Never had a fiorduva.

Top Bottom