Winter driving- Ice and speed don't mix

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Hey Ridg, thx for posting this vid. It's snowing fairly hard and quite foggy here right now. I had plans for a trip to Cabelas today, but tomorrow or the day after might be better.:yup:

CedarRaider

Way too fast. People up north say Southerners can't drive in winter weather. Looks like they can't, either.

If this was the michigan crash. Just wanted to say there is a huge difference between northern michigan and southern michigan as well. If they get 3 inches they freak out.

mbrindley11

Just had this video passed to me and felt the need to share it since I've been running a lot of ice and snow covered roads this past week. As you watch this video keep in mind that it could've been avoided simply by slowing down. http://fbcdn-video-b-a.akamaihd.net..._=1425488356_1bcbe581073fddefd52cf272ff2c88a6

This video was from between Kalamazoo and battle creek on I-94, about 10 miles up the road from where I work.

I was driving at the time of this accident, overall the road conditions were pretty good (for Michigan) and visibility was great. But there were times when all of the sudden it was a complete white out where I couldn't see anything, didn't even know if I was still in the right lane. I could see how these people were caught off guard by the low vis. And to make things worse this occurred on a very busy 2 lane (2 in each direction) portion of the interstate. The state is actually talking about adding lanes because of this accident.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This video was from between Kalamazoo and battle creek on I-94, about 10 miles up the road from where I work.

I was driving at the time of this accident, overall the road conditions were pretty good (for Michigan) and visibility was great. But there were times when all of the sudden it was a complete white out where I couldn't see anything, didn't even know if I was still in the right lane. I could see how these people were caught off guard by the low vis. And to make things worse this occurred on a very busy 2 lane (2 in each direction) portion of the interstate. The state is actually talking about adding lanes because of this accident.

That has nothing to do with needing more lanes. If people didn't drive like assholes there would be no issue.

ssgp2

I kept thinking that the truck drivers have to warn others with the radio(CB) and that's what probably happened with the last truck.
He got the warning and slow down.
When I take long drive, I keep my CB on "scan" just in case.

Tigrcky

I kept thinking that the truck drivers have to warn others with the radio(CB) and that's what probably happened with the last truck.
He got the warning and slow down.
When I take long drive, I keep my CB on "scan" just in case.

How many cars have cbs? Next to none, only a few pickups and jeeps and toyotas. Very few trucks run cbs and I'm guessing about 80 percent don't even know how to use one. It just boils down to looking farther then 2 feet in front of your windshield and if you can't see the distance it takes you to stop, slow down.

ssgp2

How many cars have cbs? Next to none, only a few pickups and jeeps and toyotas. Very few trucks run cbs and I'm guessing about 80 percent don't even know how to use one. It just boils down to looking farther then 2 feet in front of your windshield and if you can't see the distance it takes you to stop, slow down.
If you have a CB and hear that there is a pile up 5 miles ahead, what would you do?
I would get in the left lane, put my hazard on and slow down.
Yes, there would be guys behind me flashing light and getting piss off, till we get to the pile up and then they would realize what I did for them.

In regards to experiencing a white out or black ice, sometime you don't see it coming.

Tigrcky

If you have a CB and hear that there is a pile up 5 miles ahead, what would you do?
I would get in the left lane, put my hazard on and slow down.
Yes, there would be guys behind me flashing light and getting piss off, till we get to the pile up and then they would realize what I did for them.

In regards to experiencing a white out or black ice, sometime you don't see it coming.

While you doing that is a great thing how many others are out there that do what you do? Not many trust me I know.

Edit, as soon as I come on a wreck I shout out, 5-10 miles down the road if your radio is on you will hear me

Last edited:
ssgp2;464824..I would get in the left lane said:
That's a brilliant idea if you'd like to see if a 40 TON SEMI will fit in your glovebox. I can guarantee if you go out there playing with the truckers like that, one of them WILL put your ass in the ditch without thinking twice about doing so. And that's coming from a trucker with well over two million miles under his belt.

Top Bottom