WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJIN4LO

Can you make me one now? :D I seem to have an aftermarket transmission with a deep solid pan that looks really sturdy but it might pay to cover it up

Already have the xfer case covered up well, but the transmission and oil pan are ready for a rock!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
A few updates.

I have indeed found out the rising temps is a cooling system problem, not an AC problem. Even with ac off, temps rise eventually. Ac makes it worse. Reving up engine and problem goes away. So today, I did the dirty deed of pulling the fan shroud (which sucks) and really spending time cleaning the radiator with a hose. If this doesn't work, I'm really thinking it's internally clogged.

IMG_20170910_143834_633.jpg

Wheeling this weekend, I bent my LCA bracket. Even with a ball joint press I couldn't get it straight. I just kept beating on it and said fuck it, it's a jeep. Before, during, and after:

IMG_20170910_143711_823.jpg

IMG_20170910_143728_978.jpg

IMG_20170910_143750_335.jpg

And I also hit a tree yesterday. My Chinese grill guard did its job but it still had a stain. I buffed it with rubbing compound four times. It's not perfect, but looks better. Before and after:

IMG_20170910_143808_692.jpg

IMG_20170910_143823_772.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Did you ever do a flush on your cooling system? Maybe that will do?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's still acting up. Fucking Mopar (I have to blame somebody). I have done a flush, no luck. I will do a block test just to make sure there are no HCs in the system. If that is good, it's looking like a radiator replacement.

The weirdest thing is that this just started one day.

gyoja75

It seems like the only other logical problem since you already performed a radiator flush. Damn this is aggravating me!

"Sua Sponte"

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I had a similar problem with my WJ caused by a pin hole ver close to the top of the radiator core. It was enough to leak coolant unless I parked nose downhill but it was enough that it wasn't pressurising properly. Took forever to find the problem.

Have you pressure tested it?

WJCO

Meme King
I had a similar problem with my WJ caused by a pin hole ver close to the top of the radiator core. It was enough to leak coolant unless I parked nose downhill but it was enough that it wasn't pressurising properly. Took forever to find the problem.

Have you pressure tested it?

I have not. Not a bad idea. Thanks.

Bierpower

Hooked
We had a 4.0 wj one time that was over heating if it was idled without moving. After a lot of searching and head scratching, it turned out the the plastic water pump impeller had spun on it's shaft, and at an idle the fluid resistance was enough to stop coolant flow. As long as you were driving down the road it was great, but if you sat at a light too long temps would start to climb. It's a pain in the ass to check but may be worth looking into.

Sent from my XT1565 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
We had a 4.0 wj one time that was over heating if it was idled without moving. After a lot of searching and head scratching, it turned out the the plastic water pump impeller had spun on it's shaft, and at an idle the fluid resistance was enough to stop coolant flow. As long as you were driving down the road it was great, but if you sat at a light too long temps would start to climb. It's a pain in the ass to check but may be worth looking into.

Sent from my XT1565 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the tip. I definitely thought of that as I have seen it as well. I put a new pump on about a month ago, no luck. Also, the one that was already on there was only about a year old.

I bet you find a pinhole somewhere. Mine was very small but again the symptoms you have match mine when I had the leak in the t-stat housing.

I'll likely do a pressure test to see. I am 100% sure I have a small heater core leak, however, it was leaking worse last year and this 'temps rising' symptom didn't exist. Coolant level doesn't drop either hardly. I maybe have to top it off every 3 months or so just a tiny bit.

I also may buy ANOTHER fan clutch, just to eliminate the possibility that I got a bad one. This thing makes no fricken sense.

WJCO

Meme King
I went ahead and replaced the fan clutch again just to ensure that the new one wasn't defective. No luck. Issue persists.

WJCO

Meme King
Ordered a used AC clutch for this this thing. Being that I did visibly watch it slip one time, and it cycles too often, I'm going to try replacing it just to see. I got it cheap. Even though the one I have looked fair when I took it apart, I just want to try this as process of elimination. I'm not 100% convinced it will change a thing because temps do still rise with A/C off, however takes a lot longer to occur. But there is a chance the pulley bearing may be going out, so I'm going to replace the clutch/coil/pulley. Next step will be a block test and pressure test. Then I don't know....

Top Bottom