Would you go Soft top or Hard top cross country?

Hard Top or Soft Top Cross Country?

• Hard Top

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Soft Top

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

MKBCE

Hard top for comfort - Soft top for fun and less weight. FYI the bear hang system for food is ok but only bear prof containers that are are approved are acceptable in certain locations bears are smart and strong and have been able to defeat bear hangs and bear prof containers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Hard top for comfort - Soft top for fun and less weight. FYI the bear hang system for food is ok but only bear prof containers that are are approved are acceptable in certain locations bears are smart and strong and have been able to defeat bear hangs and bear prof containers.

Thanks for the heads up [emoji106] I’ve used the bear hang technique a lot when I was going to NOLS years back, never had an issue

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Soft top. Did all 5000 miles of my trip from pa to Moab and back with it. You will be fine

longarmwj

I’m planning a trip to Florida this summer for a wedding where I fully intend on driving down there with no top and no doors......so basically you’ll be fine lol

Jsouder53

Hooked
New Smyrna Beach. And then after the wedding we are planning to drive south to Miami and the Keys, time off permitting.

That’s a beautiful area! Hope it works out you can make it to the keys, we like to camp at big pine fishing lodge or Bahia Honda state park. You can camp right on the water. And great fishing at Bahia Honda right off the sea wall

Sahara_Maverick

I'd say soft top, mostly if you like to drive your Jeep all open.

However, since it's a long trip and you will likely cross all types of environments I'd recommend the safety of a hard top.

If you do not have space inside, install a rack that can hold the Freedom Panels safely and just drive with them off whenever you can or want.

The hard top gives the extra security in case you need to drive or park in not very savory environments.

That way your Jeep will be safer and not prone to be opened by pulling a zipper or a box cutter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I'd say soft top, mostly if you like to drive your Jeep all open.

However, since it's a long trip and you will likely cross all types of environments I'd recommend the safety of a hard top.

If you do not have space inside, install a rack that can hold the Freedom Panels safely and just drive with them off whenever you can or want.

The hard top gives the extra security in case you need to drive or park in not very savory environments.

That way your Jeep will be safer and not prone to be opened by pulling a zipper or a box cutter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

We never know where we might end up, so I like the idea of that safety aspect. We have made a trip like this before (6 weeks of driving wherever) but it’s our first looong trip with the Jeep.

aermid

Another vote for soft top though it looks like soft top doesn’t need another vote :). We drove from TX to NO to Orlando to Bham and back to TX and we’re very happy we took the soft top.

As for safety, we built a trunk that kept prying eyes away and the ability to not be able to get inside of it unless you have the key. But this also helped us be lighter on what all we took so we didn’t end up taking a bunch of crap we weren’t going to use. It also involved camping for 5 days at Disney. No one ever messed with our stuff.

--Erin

Chris1015

Soft is a good option I think if you're gonna wheel where you're gonna get pinstripes, body damage, etc. to save the paint. I guess it just depends what you're gonna come across on the trail.

SubzArtz

I know I’m dealing with two different Jeeps, but I’ve driven my LJ, (soft top) out to Moab/CO & my JKU, (hard top) also out to CO & will take a hard top every time!

I can have conversations, make phone calls & listen to music for that looooong ride.

It’s more comfortable & secure IMO. Either way, enjoy the journey & keep the shiny side up! [emoji1360]

Oreo_penguin536

I say soft top. If you’re worried about security get the lockable trunk box and or lockable glove box, under seat box for driver and passenger and or lockable center counsel....personally I’d get all those anyway just for shits and giggles but then again my heep doesn’t lock[emoji23]

Top Bottom